2002-11-02 12:47:31

by Pavel Machek

Subject: [half-joke] Help - someone turned my machine into xt emulating 386 using bochs...

Hi!

Strange thing happened: My machine appeared to lock up. I tried to
switch consoles, and nothing happened.... Up to now. Now I see
consoles redrawing on vesab, at speed around 5 characters per
second. [Yes, I can see letters being erased].

That's little slow for 300MHz celeron... I hope.

[Just before "incident", I turned of sharp zaurus; maybe it was
connected using usbnet and now uhci is eating all the bandwidht?
Anyone seen this before?]
Pavel
--
Worst form of spam? Adding advertisment signatures ala sourceforge.net.
What goes next? Inserting advertisment *into* email?

2002-11-02 12:45:24

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> Strange thing happened: My machine appeared to lock up. I tried to
> switch consoles, and nothing happened.... Up to now. Now I see
> consoles redrawing on vesab, at speed around 5 characters per
> second. [Yes, I can see letters being erased].
>
> That's little slow for 300MHz celeron... I hope.
>
> [Just before "incident", I turned of sharp zaurus; maybe it was
> connected using usbnet and now uhci is eating all the bandwidht?
> Anyone seen this before?]

Hmm, Now I see some messages (printed at 5 characters per second, will
press reset sooon.

events/0: page allocation failure. order:3, mode:0x20
drivers/usb/net/usbnet.c: usb0: kevent 2 may have been dropped

time for reset.

Hmm, I managed to press magic-s....
Syncing device ide0(3,1) ... pdflush: page allocation
failure. order:3, mode:0x20. [Hey, I can type messages as fast as they
are coming :-)]

time for *hard* reset I guess. [I wish I had videocamera for this.]
Pavel
--
Worst form of spam? Adding advertisment signatures ala sourceforge.net.
What goes next? Inserting advertisment *into* email?

2002-11-02 15:58:10

by Jamie Lokier

Pavel Machek wrote:
> Strange thing happened: My machine appeared to lock up. I tried to
> switch consoles, and nothing happened.... Up to now. Now I see
> consoles redrawing on vesab, at speed around 5 characters per
> second. [Yes, I can see letters being erased].

Hey, that's faster than the time I connected an ethernet traffic
generator to a PII :-) What fun it was to see "l".."o".."g".."i".."n"..":"!

-- Jamie

2002-11-02 16:13:21

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > Strange thing happened: My machine appeared to lock up. I tried to
> > switch consoles, and nothing happened.... Up to now. Now I see
> > consoles redrawing on vesab, at speed around 5 characters per
> > second. [Yes, I can see letters being erased].
>
> Hey, that's faster than the time I connected an ethernet traffic
> generator to a PII :-) What fun it was to see "l".."o".."g".."i".."n"..":"!

That was over gigabit ethernet or how did you manage to overload it so
badly? [Do small packets over 100mbit cause this, too?]

There's not even 100mbit ethernet anywhere near here ;-).
Pavel
--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.

2002-11-02 18:36:04

by Jamie Lokier

Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hey, that's faster than the time I connected an ethernet traffic
> > generator to a PII :-) What fun it was to see "l".."o".."g".."i".."n"..":"!
>
> That was over gigabit ethernet or how did you manage to overload it so
> badly? [Do small packets over 100mbit cause this, too?]

No, it was 100mbit. I've not tried, but I think that gigabit doesn't
cause this because the cards and drivers have interrupt deferral to
reduce livelock.

-- Jamie