2002-11-06 08:28:14

by Andrew Morton

Subject: 2.5.46-mm1

url: http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/2.5.46/2.5.46-mm1/

It wasn't clear whether it was useful or desirable to keep these patchsets
turning over. But it will be helpful to keep them as a marshalling point
for people to see what is queued up, to get some additional testing and
stabilisation and for people to sync up against. And also to keep things
like shared pagetables and dcache-rcu under test.

2.5.46-mm1 includes various fixes to things, Bill's hugetlb rework,
dcache-rcu and shared pagetables.

Also the patches which make the address_space's private_lock and page_lock
irq-safe. So Badari can run set_page_dirty() from interrupts...

linus.patch
cset-1.895.1.7-to-1.925.txt.gz

kgdb.patch

net-timer-init.patch

genksyms-hurts.patch
fix exporting of per-cpu symbols for modversions

misc.patch
misc fixes

writev-bad-seg-fix.patch
Fix readv/writev return value

wli-01-iowait.patch
SMP iowait stats

wli-02-zap_hugetlb_resources.patch
hugetlb: fix zap_hugetlb_resources()

wli-03-remove-unlink_vma.patch
hugetlb: remove unlink_vma()

wli-04-internalize-hugetlb-init.patch
hugetlb: internalize hugetlb init

wli-05-sysctl-cleanup.patch
hugetlb: remove sysctl.c intrusion

wli-06-cleanup-proc.patch
hugetlb: remove /proc/ intrusion

wli-07-hugetlb-static.patch
hugetlb: make private functions static

msec-fix.patch
Fix math underflow in disk accounting

touch_buffer-fix.patch
buffer_head refcounting fixes and cleanup

mbcache-atomicity-fix.patch

pgalloc-accounting-fix.patch
fix page alloc/free accounting

htree-fix.patch
fix ext3-htree buffer_head leak

irq-save-vm-locks.patch
make mapping->page_lock irq-safe

irq-safe-private-lock.patch
make mapping->private_lock irq-safe

akpm-deadline.patch
deadline scheduler tweaks

dcache_rcu.patch
Use RCU for dcache

page-reservation.patch
Page reservation API

resurrect-incremental-min.patch
strengthen the `incremental min' logic in the page allocator

wli-show_free_areas.patch
show_free_areas extensions

shpte-ng.patch
pagetable sharing for ia32

2002-11-06 17:06:16

by Paul Komkoff

Subject: Re: 2.5.46-mm1

Replying to Andrew Morton:
> stabilisation and for people to sync up against. And also to keep things
> like shared pagetables and dcache-rcu under test.

Why sharepte is dependent on highmem now ?

I thought I will benefit from it on forkloads on lowmem too ...

--
Paul P 'Stingray' Komkoff 'Greatest' Jr /// (icq)23200764 /// (http)stingr.net
When you're invisible, the only one really watching you is you (my keychain)

2002-11-06 17:18:14

by Andrew Morton

Paul P Komkoff Jr wrote:

> Replying to Andrew Morton:
> > stabilisation and for people to sync up against. And also to keep things
> > like shared pagetables and dcache-rcu under test.
>
> Why sharepte is dependent on highmem now ?

Senility? Just delete line 725 of arch/i386/Kconfig

2002-11-06 19:14:32

by Dave McCracken

--On Wednesday, November 06, 2002 20:12:50 +0300 Paul P Komkoff Jr
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Why sharepte is dependent on highmem now ?

It's not supposed to be. I'm guessing it's a conversion error in the move
to Kconfig. A patch to fix it is attached.

> I thought I will benefit from it on forkloads on lowmem too ...

It's definitely a benefit for all sizes of memory.

Dave McCracken

Dave McCracken IBM Linux Base Kernel Team 1-512-838-3059
[email protected] T/L 678-3059

Attachments:
(No filename) (605.00 B)
shpte-2.5.46-mm1-1.diff (425.00 B)

by Martin J. Bligh

> For what it's worth, the last mm kernel which booted on my old P-II IDE
> test machine was 44-mm2. With 44-mm6 and this one I get an oops on boot.
> Unfortunately it isn't written to disk, scrolls off the console, and
> leaves the machine totally dead to anything less than a reset. I will try

Any chance of setting up a serial console? They're very handy for
things like this ...

M.

2002-11-07 16:35:59

by Bill Davidsen

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

> url: http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/2.5.46/2.5.46-mm1/
>
> It wasn't clear whether it was useful or desirable to keep these patchsets
> turning over. But it will be helpful to keep them as a marshalling point
> for people to see what is queued up, to get some additional testing and
> stabilisation and for people to sync up against. And also to keep things
> like shared pagetables and dcache-rcu under test.

For what it's worth, the last mm kernel which booted on my old P-II IDE
test machine was 44-mm2. With 44-mm6 and this one I get an oops on boot.
Unfortunately it isn't written to disk, scrolls off the console, and
leaves the machine totally dead to anything less than a reset. I will try
2.5.46 base after I apply the few patches needed to make it compile, and
send you my config if you think it will help.

2.5.44 and all 4[45]-ac? builds booted and ran.

This is just a "problem present" notice, I have no decent info for
debugging.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by Andrew Morton

"Martin J. Bligh" wrote:

> > For what it's worth, the last mm kernel which booted on my old P-II IDE
> > test machine was 44-mm2. With 44-mm6 and this one I get an oops on boot.
> > Unfortunately it isn't written to disk, scrolls off the console, and
> > leaves the machine totally dead to anything less than a reset. I will try
>
> Any chance of setting up a serial console? They're very handy for
> things like this ...

"vga=extended" gets you 50 rows, which is usually enough.

2002-11-07 18:44:50

by Martin J. Bligh

>> > For what it's worth, the last mm kernel which booted on my old P-II IDE
>> > test machine was 44-mm2. With 44-mm6 and this one I get an oops on boot.
>> > Unfortunately it isn't written to disk, scrolls off the console, and
>> > leaves the machine totally dead to anything less than a reset. I will try
>>
>> Any chance of setting up a serial console? They're very handy for
>> things like this ...
>
> "vga=extended" gets you 50 rows, which is usually enough.

Depends if it keeps booting afterwards, or your pen skills are
just bad (like mine ;-))

M.

2002-11-07 19:00:07

by Bill Davidsen

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> > For what it's worth, the last mm kernel which booted on my old P-II IDE
> > test machine was 44-mm2. With 44-mm6 and this one I get an oops on boot.
> > Unfortunately it isn't written to disk, scrolls off the console, and
> > leaves the machine totally dead to anything less than a reset. I will try
>
> Any chance of setting up a serial console? They're very handy for
> things like this ...

Certainly not with a real serial terminal ;-) As far as going through a
crossover cable to another system, it's doable, but finding the time, the
cable, etc... maybe next week. I just wanted to get the base report out in
case someone had more info, or if it was a known problem.

I will try to capture it, but I'll try any new versions which come out
before then as well.

--

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

> "Martin J. Bligh" wrote:
> >
> > > For what it's worth, the last mm kernel which booted on my old P-II IDE
> > > test machine was 44-mm2. With 44-mm6 and this one I get an oops on boot.
> > > Unfortunately it isn't written to disk, scrolls off the console, and
> > > leaves the machine totally dead to anything less than a reset. I will try
> >
> > Any chance of setting up a serial console? They're very handy for
> > things like this ...
> >

> "vga=extended" gets you 50 rows, which is usually enough.

Doesn't seem to do anything, nor does vga=773 which I remember from the
days of using VESA modes. Serial is definitely the one of choice, this
video card is not cooperating. I'll bring a cable from the office Monday.

Stock 2.5.46 does the same thing, but so did 44 and 44-ac? is running
happily. I'll look.