2002-11-07 19:27:42

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: [BUGS 2.5.45]

Hello again!

1)
As you'll all have noticed, the makefile for the build wants QT installed for
a simple build process.

2)
PCMCIA module ds.o cannot be loaded -> somehow the kernel denies that.

3)
atimach64 console driver makes blank screen on
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2x (rev 64)

I know, the video driver didn't work in any kernel version, but I am interested
in fixing that. I don't know where the problem is located, but I would beta
test drivers, if available. I would also help to trace down the problem,
with little help from the developers.

Is there any development with this driver ? Or is it simply dead? I can't
find any contact in any of the kernel source files...

Please tell me what todo with pcmcia/ati, I want to have those things
usable, not only for me.

Nico

--
Changing mail address: please forget all known @pcsystems.de addresses.

Please send your messages pgp-signed and/or pgp-encrypted (don't encrypt mails
(public pgp key: ftp.schottelius.org/pub/familiy/nico/pgp-key)

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.10 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Steven Newbury

Subject: Re: [BUGS 2.5.45]

Nico Schottelius wrote:
> Hello again!
>
> 1)
> As you'll all have noticed, the makefile for the build wants QT installed for
> a simple build process.
>
> 2)
> PCMCIA module ds.o cannot be loaded -> somehow the kernel denies that.
>
> 3)
> atimach64 console driver makes blank screen on
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2x (rev 64)
>
> I know, the video driver didn't work in any kernel version, but I am interested
> in fixing that. I don't know where the problem is located, but I would beta
> test drivers, if available. I would also help to trace down the problem,
> with little help from the developers.
>
> Is there any development with this driver ? Or is it simply dead? I can't
> find any contact in any of the kernel source files...
I have the same result here:
00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL (rev 27)

I was also surprised to notice that there is no support in X for FBDev
with mach64 cards. I was under the impression that they used to be
common on older powermacs where the fbdev was essential.

I guess the place to check on the status is the linux-fbdev-devel list.

> Please tell me what todo with pcmcia/ati, I want to have those things
> usable, not only for me.
>
> Nico

2002-11-08 09:34:09

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Steven Newbury wrote:
> I was also surprised to notice that there is no support in X for FBDev
> with mach64 cards. I was under the impression that they used to be
> common on older powermacs where the fbdev was essential.

The XFree86 Mach64 maintainer doesn't like fbdev.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2002-11-09 12:49:32

by Nico Schottelius

Geert Uytterhoeven [Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 10:40:28AM +0100]:
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Steven Newbury wrote:
> > I was also surprised to notice that there is no support in X for FBDev
> > with mach64 cards. I was under the impression that they used to be
> > common on older powermacs where the fbdev was essential.
>
> The XFree86 Mach64 maintainer doesn't like fbdev.

I don't like it not working. Some XFree people (which I respect) seem to dislike
things happening on the console...
At least this might explain why I never had any success to contact the XFree
mouse maintainer to coordinate work with him..

Nico

--
Changing mail address: please forget all known @pcsystems.de addresses.

Please send your messages pgp-signed and/or pgp-encrypted (don't encrypt mails
(public pgp key: ftp.schottelius.org/pub/familiy/nico/pgp-key)

Attachments:
(No filename) (906.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Em Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 03:31:26PM +0100, Nico Schottelius escreveu:
> Hello again!

2.5.45 is too old, could you try 2.5.50 instead? Anyway, some comments:

> 1) As you'll all have noticed, the makefile for the build wants QT installed
> for a simple build process.

not if you use make menuconfig or make config, only for the GUI config frontend,
and there is people, AFAIK, working on a gtk+ frontend.

> 2) PCMCIA module ds.o cannot be loaded -> somehow the kernel denies that.

Perhaps related to Rusty's work on the in-kernel module loader

> 3) atimach64 console driver makes blank screen on 01:00.0 VGA compatible
> controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage P/M Mobilit= y AGP 2x (rev 64)

The fb code needs a merge with James Simmons tree, it seems to be planned to
happen soon.

- Arnaldo

2002-12-01 21:46:11

by Nico Schottelius

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo [Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 12:42:32PM -0200]:
> Em Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 03:31:26PM +0100, Nico Schottelius escreveu:
> > Hello again!
>
> 2.5.45 is too old, could you try 2.5.50 instead? Anyway, some comments:

I am sorry, my mail was delayed. I am trying 2.5.50 currently.

> > 2) PCMCIA module ds.o cannot be loaded -> somehow the kernel denies that.
>
> Perhaps related to Rusty's work on the in-kernel module loader

in fact, 2.5.50 loads ds.o fine again!
there seem still be some problems with some modules, but I think
this will be fixed soon.

> > 3) atimach64 console driver makes blank screen on 01:00.0 VGA compatible
> > controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage P/M Mobilit= y AGP 2x (rev 64)
>
> The fb code needs a merge with James Simmons tree, it seems to be planned to
> happen soon.

Right now I am subscribed to fbdev list, hopefully they'll merge soon.
I tried aty/aty128fb some months ago with the same result..

Nico

--
Please send your messages pgp-signed and/or pgp-encrypted (don't encrypt mails