2002-11-10 21:55:59

by Daniel Mehrmann

Subject: Linux-2.4: Merge Emulex and Qlogic FC drivers ?

Hi all !

i want merge the linux driver for FC controllers from Qlogic and
Emulex (All series from both) into the kernel tree, because i need
this for our company.

Qlogic is clear GPL but Emulex have no GPL.
I think the license to use the code is free and i see no problems.

Anyone else working with this stuff or any hints ?

greetings
Daniel

2002-11-10 22:07:45

by Sean Neakums

Subject: Re: Linux-2.4: Merge Emulex and Qlogic FC drivers ?

commence Daniel Mehrmann quotation:

> i want merge the linux driver for FC controllers from Qlogic and
> Emulex (All series from both) into the kernel tree, because i need
> this for our company.
>
> Qlogic is clear GPL but Emulex have no GPL.
> I think the license to use the code is free and i see no problems.

The last time I looked at an Emulex Linux driver (for the LP-7000,
about six months ago), it consisted of a large binary-only portion,
shipped in a .a file, and the source code for a shim to have the
library code talk to the kernel.

Furthermore, the driver was configured by editing a .c file and
rebuilding it.

All in all, a quality experience.

--
/ |
[|] Sean Neakums | Questions are a burden to others;

2002-11-10 22:30:36

by Daniel Mehrmann

On Sunday 10 November 2002 23:14, Sean Neakums wrote:
> commence Daniel Mehrmann quotation:
> > i want merge the linux driver for FC controllers from Qlogic
> > and Emulex (All series from both) into the kernel tree, because
> > i need this for our company.
> >
> > Qlogic is clear GPL but Emulex have no GPL.
> > I think the license to use the code is free and i see no
> > problems.
>
> The last time I looked at an Emulex Linux driver (for the
> LP-7000, about six months ago), it consisted of a large
> binary-only portion, shipped in a .a file, and the source code
> for a shim to have the library code talk to the kernel.
>
> Furthermore, the driver was configured by editing a .c file and
> rebuilding it.
>
> All in all, a quality experience.

Mh, i have the complete source code. Only the hba access
for IP over FC is binary, but that`s a libary api for userland
tools. I only want merge the standalone driver for both products.
If i do this, i must add this to a readme file.

greetings
DAniel

2002-11-10 22:40:40

by Daniel Mehrmann

On Sunday 10 November 2002 23:37, Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
> On Sunday 10 November 2002 23:14, Sean Neakums wrote:
> > commence Daniel Mehrmann quotation:
> > > i want merge the linux driver for FC controllers from Qlogic
> > > and Emulex (All series from both) into the kernel tree,
> > > because i need this for our company.
> > >
> > > Qlogic is clear GPL but Emulex have no GPL.
> > > I think the license to use the code is free and i see no
> > > problems.
> >
> > The last time I looked at an Emulex Linux driver (for the
> > LP-7000, about six months ago), it consisted of a large
> > binary-only portion, shipped in a .a file, and the source code
> > for a shim to have the library code talk to the kernel.
> >
> > Furthermore, the driver was configured by editing a .c file and
> > rebuilding it.
> >
> > All in all, a quality experience.
>
> Mh, i have the complete source code. Only the hba access
> for IP over FC is binary, but that`s a libary api for userland
> tools. I only want merge the standalone driver for both products.
> If i do this, i must add this to a readme file.

Ops, you`re right. I used the wrong directory :-((
Ok, for Emulex series i can forget this plan !

2002-11-10 22:51:35

by Sean Neakums

commence Daniel Mehrmann quotation:

> On Sunday 10 November 2002 23:14, Sean Neakums wrote:
>
>> The last time I looked at an Emulex Linux driver (for the
>> LP-7000, about six months ago), it consisted of a large
>> binary-only portion, shipped in a .a file, and the source code
>> for a shim to have the library code talk to the kernel.
>>
>> Furthermore, the driver was configured by editing a .c file and
>> rebuilding it.
>>
>> All in all, a quality experience.
>
> Mh, i have the complete source code. Only the hba access
> for IP over FC is binary, but that`s a libary api for userland
> tools. I only want merge the standalone driver for both products.

My memory failed slightly: the binary-only portion is the file
SourceBuild/lpfcdriver, which is copied to SourceBuild/lpfcdriver.o
during the build.

The driver distribution I looked at was:

http://www.emulex.com/ts/downloads/linuxfc/rel/420p/lpfc-i386.tar

--
/ |