2002-11-14 03:55:50

by Patrick Finnegan

Subject: Moving from Linux 2.4.19 LVM to LVM2

Is there an easy and plainless way to do this? Are the LVM2 tools
backwards-compatible with the old LVM? I've got important partitions on
LVM (/usr, /tmp, /var, /home) and I'd like to be able to switch back and
forth between 2.4 and 2.5 kernels without needing to keep around separate
copies of bootscripts and userland tools if possible.

Thanks!

Pat
--
Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue

http://dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2040637020924.gif

2002-11-14 04:24:04

by Paul

Subject: Re: Moving from Linux 2.4.19 LVM to LVM2

Patrick Finnegan <[email protected]>, on Wed Nov 13, 2002 [11:05:37 PM] said:
> Is there an easy and plainless way to do this? Are the LVM2 tools
> backwards-compatible with the old LVM? I've got important partitions on
> LVM (/usr, /tmp, /var, /home) and I'd like to be able to switch back and
> forth between 2.4 and 2.5 kernels without needing to keep around separate
> copies of bootscripts and userland tools if possible.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pat

Hi;

I have been playing with this. The userspace tools are
not backwards compatible. (2.4 tools didnt seem compatible
with 2.2 tools either-- Ive got 3 sets of them laying around)
Currently, LVM2 under 2.5 repeatedly will hit a BUG() and
oops for me. I also managed to destroy a test striped lv.
I wouldnt trust any important data to it yet.
(Jens Axboe has expressed a willingness to help with
the problem. Just a matter of time...)
You need a > 2.5.47 kernel (eg. a recent bk snapshot,
or eg. 2.5.47-ac2 or 2.5.45-mcp2) to even compile with
DM support if you want to play with this.

Paul

by Joe Thornber

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:05:37PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> Is there an easy and plainless way to do this? Are the LVM2 tools
> backwards-compatible with the old LVM?

Yes

2002-11-15 03:42:07

by Patrick Finnegan

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Joe Thornber wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:05:37PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > Is there an easy and plainless way to do this? Are the LVM2 tools
> > backwards-compatible with the old LVM?
>
> Yes

Actually, the answer is aparently "No." LVM2's tools don't work with a
2.4.x kernel. However, I since I was smart enough to stuff a backup copy
of the utilities into /root/lvm10.tar, 2.5.47 with the devicemapper patch
(so that it compiles properly) booted up just fine, first try. Of course,
I needed to remember to load the "mousedev" module before X would work,
but that's not a kernel issue.

I'm fairly impressed with 2.5.x so far (once it compiled properly!).

Pat
--
Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage
http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu

2002-11-15 09:42:59

by Joe Thornber

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:51:48PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Joe Thornber wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:05:37PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > > Is there an easy and plainless way to do this? Are the LVM2 tools
> > > backwards-compatible with the old LVM?
> >
> > Yes
>
> Actually, the answer is aparently "No." LVM2's tools don't work with a
> 2.4.x kernel.

Had you applied the device-mapper patches for 2.4 ?

- Joe

2002-11-15 15:03:36

by Patrick Finnegan

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Joe Thornber wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:51:48PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> > > Yes
> >
> > Actually, the answer is aparently "No." LVM2's tools don't work with a
> > 2.4.x kernel.
>
> Had you applied the device-mapper patches for 2.4 ?

Umm, no. If I had, then that wouldn't be 2.4's native LVM.

Pat
--
Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage
http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu

2002-11-15 15:32:30

by Sean Neakums

commence Patrick Finnegan quotation:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Joe Thornber wrote:

>> > Actually, the answer is aparently "No." LVM2's tools don't work with a
>> > 2.4.x kernel.
>>
>> Had you applied the device-mapper patches for 2.4 ?
>
> Umm, no. If I had, then that wouldn't be 2.4's native LVM.

The LVM1 tools require the lvm module. The LVM2 tools require the
device-mapper module (and therfore, for 2.4, a patch). LVM2 is
backward-compatible with LVM1 in the sense that LVM2 can use
LVM1-created volume groups.

I've been running LVM2 (I used to use LVM1) on my laptop for the past
few weeks (2.4.19, also patched with rmap14b), and it's been
completely trouble-free.

--
/ |
[|] Sean Neakums | Questions are a burden to others;