2002-11-14 10:30:55

by Skip Ford

Subject: module-init-tools breaks kallsyms

Install of module-init-tools moves the old tools to *.old but it doesn't
address kallsyms. In the case of kallsyms being a link to insmod, it
breaks. Since the new insmod is supposed to call insmod.old when
appropriate, I'm not sure why it breaks. But it doesn't work here.

To successfully compile a kernel < 2.5.47-bk2 after module-init-tools
installation, with kallsyms being a symlink, you need to link it to
insmod.old instead.

--
Skip

2002-11-14 17:01:38

by Rusty Russell

Subject: Re: module-init-tools breaks kallsyms

In message <200211141035.gAEAZt2t017446@pool-151-204-203-202.delv.east.verizon.
net> you write:
> Install of module-init-tools moves the old tools to *.old but it doesn't
> address kallsyms. In the case of kallsyms being a link to insmod, it
> breaks. Since the new insmod is supposed to call insmod.old when
> appropriate, I'm not sure why it breaks. But it doesn't work here.

symlink, and yes you're right. Which is a PITA. The patch floating
around which moves the module-init-tools inside the modutils source
fixes this plainly, once and for all (you just install the "new"
modutils).

I still haven't slept. But after I do, I'll fix this, I promise.

Rusty.

by SL Baur

Skip Ford writes on lkml:

> Install of module-init-tools moves the old tools to *.old but it
> doesn't address kallsyms. In the case of kallsyms being a link to
> insmod, it breaks. Since the new insmod is supposed to call
> insmod.old when appropriate, I'm not sure why it breaks. But it
> doesn't work here.

> To successfully compile a kernel < 2.5.47-bk2 after
> module-init-tools installation, with kallsyms being a symlink, you
> need to link it to insmod.old instead.

I've made a merged rpm of modutils and module-init-tools that deals
with this and sent it to Rusty.