2002-11-18 16:13:04

by Jochen Hein

Subject: [2.5.48] Config.help misleading

Help says to say "Y" if unsure, but that isn't allowed:
,----
| UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support (USB_UHCI_HCD) [N/m/?] (NEW) ?
|
| The Universal Host Controller Interface is a standard by Intel for
| accessing the USB hardware in the PC (which is also called the USB
| host controller). If your USB host controller conforms to this
| standard, you may want to say Y, but see below. All recent boards
| with Intel PCI chipsets (like intel 430TX, 440FX, 440LX, 440BX,
| i810, i820) conform to this standard. Also all VIA PCI chipsets
| (like VIA VP2, VP3, MVP3, Apollo Pro, Apollo Pro II or Apollo Pro
| 133). If unsure, say Y.
|
| This code is also available as a module ( = code which can be
| inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
| The module will be called uhci-hcd.o. If you want to compile it as a
| module, say M here and read <file:Documentation/modules.txt>.
|
| UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support (USB_UHCI_HCD) [N/m/?] (NEW) y
`----

Jochen

--
Wenn Du nicht wei?t was Du tust, tu's mit Eleganz.

2002-11-18 17:56:37

by Randy.Dunlap

Subject: Re: [2.5.48] Config.help misleading

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Jochen Hein wrote:

| Help says to say "Y" if unsure, but that isn't allowed:
| ,----
| | UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support (USB_UHCI_HCD) [N/m/?] (NEW) ?
| |
| | The Universal Host Controller Interface is a standard by Intel for
| | accessing the USB hardware in the PC (which is also called the USB
| | host controller). If your USB host controller conforms to this
| | standard, you may want to say Y, but see below. All recent boards
| | with Intel PCI chipsets (like intel 430TX, 440FX, 440LX, 440BX,
| | i810, i820) conform to this standard. Also all VIA PCI chipsets
| | (like VIA VP2, VP3, MVP3, Apollo Pro, Apollo Pro II or Apollo Pro
| | 133). If unsure, say Y.
| |
| | This code is also available as a module ( = code which can be
| | inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
| | The module will be called uhci-hcd.o. If you want to compile it as a
| | module, say M here and read <file:Documentation/modules.txt>.
| |
| | UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support (USB_UHCI_HCD) [N/m/?] (NEW) y
| `----

Do you have proposed text or (even better) a patch for this?

--
~Randy
"I read part of it all the way through." -- Samuel Goldwyn

2002-11-18 18:17:33

by Skip Ford

Jochen Hein wrote:
> Help says to say "Y" if unsure, but that isn't allowed:
> ,----
> | UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support (USB_UHCI_HCD) [N/m/?] (NEW) ?

[snip]
> | 133). If unsure, say Y.
> |
> | UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support (USB_UHCI_HCD) [N/m/?] (NEW) y
> `----

Did you choose to make USB support a module? If you said 'y' to USB
support, then you should have a 'y' option above. However, you most
likely said 'm' for USB support so 'm' is all you can do for this
because it depends on it. Had you said 'n' to USB support, you wouldn't
be able to select 'y' or 'm' for the above.

--
Skip

2002-11-21 11:13:00

by Jochen Hein

Skip Ford <[email protected]> writes:

> Jochen Hein wrote:
>> Help says to say "Y" if unsure, but that isn't allowed:
>> ,----
>> | UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support (USB_UHCI_HCD) [N/m/?] (NEW) ?
>> |
> [snip]
>> | 133). If unsure, say Y.
>> |
>> | UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support (USB_UHCI_HCD) [N/m/?] (NEW) y
>> `----
>
> Did you choose to make USB support a module?

Yes.

> If you said 'y' to USB
> support, then you should have a 'y' option above. However, you most
> likely said 'm' for USB support so 'm' is all you can do for this
> because it depends on it. Had you said 'n' to USB support, you wouldn't
> be able to select 'y' or 'm' for the above.

So, what should the help text say? I propose
"If unsure, say M".
That should get it right more often than the current text.
Or perhaps your explanation should be included. I think that's even
better. Randy?

Jochen

--
Wenn Du nicht wei?t was Du tust, tu's mit Eleganz.