2002-11-27 00:32:48

by Adam K Kirchhoff

Subject: 2.5.49 module problem

Hello all.

Sorry to bother everyone with what is probably a stupid user error, but in
case it's not I thought I should post my problem to the list.

I recently upgraded my motherboard to one with an ICH4 IDE controller.
Since it's not supported in 2.4.*, yet, I decided now would be a good time
to try the 2.5.* series.

I grabbed 2.5.49, configured a new kernel, built the kernel and modules.
Once done, I installed the modules (make modules_install), copied the
bzImage and System.map to /boot and rebooted into single user mode.

Everything seems fine except for one issue: I can't load any modules.
depmod gives:

QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

insmod does the same.

Now, all my googling has turned up are a couple of other users who have
had the problem. But, in those cases, it's a result of the kernel not
being compiled to support modules. This is definatley not the case this
time. Here are the pertinant lines of my .config file:

CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
# CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD is not set
CONFIG_KMOD=y

And, of course, my /lib/modules/2.5.49/kernel directory is full of all the
modules I compiled.

Any idea what the problem might be? Is this a problem with the kernel or
a problem with the user? If it's something stupid I'm doing, please
enlighten me.

BTW, this happens with both modutils from Mandrake 9.0 (2.4.19) and the
most recent version (2.4.22).

Thanks :-)

Adam

2002-11-27 01:14:59

by Alan

Subject: Re: 2.5.49 module problem

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 00:40, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Sorry to bother everyone with what is probably a stupid user error, but in
> case it's not I thought I should post my problem to the list.
>
> I recently upgraded my motherboard to one with an ICH4 IDE controller.
> Since it's not supported in 2.4.*, yet, I decided now would be a good time

2.4.20-rc4 should handle your ICH4 fine

2.5.49 needs new very different module tools

2002-11-27 04:35:45

by Young-Ho Cha

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:53:28AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 00:40, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> >
> > Hello all.
> >
> > Sorry to bother everyone with what is probably a stupid user error, but in
> > case it's not I thought I should post my problem to the list.
> >
> > I recently upgraded my motherboard to one with an ICH4 IDE controller.
> > Since it's not supported in 2.4.*, yet, I decided now would be a good time
>
> 2.4.20-rc4 should handle your ICH4 fine
>
> 2.5.49 needs new very different module tools

I use rusty's module init tools with modutils 2.4.22.

But many modules cannot load.

attach some list of modules that kernel cannot load.

Attachments:
(No filename) (679.00 B)
test.log (1.57 kB)

by Alex Riesen

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:35:32PM +0900, Young-Ho Cha wrote:
> > > I recently upgraded my motherboard to one with an ICH4 IDE controller.
> > > Since it's not supported in 2.4.*, yet, I decided now would be a good time
> > 2.5.49 needs new very different module tools
> >
> I use rusty's module init tools with modutils 2.4.22.
> But many modules cannot load.
> attach some list of modules that kernel cannot load.

> FATAL: Error inserting /lib/modules/2.5.49-ac2/kernel/ac97_codec.o: Invalid module format

see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103815193017700&w=2

2002-11-27 12:24:47

by Alan

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 04:35, Young-Ho Cha wrote:
> I use rusty's module init tools with modutils 2.4.22.
>
> But many modules cannot load.
>
> attach some list of modules that kernel cannot load.

Rusty's code has a design flaw and demands a "no_modules_init" clause.
When this is fixed in the kernel tree/tools the problem will go away.
Since the problem is clearly a modules one I don't plan to fix the -ac
drivers.