2002-03-26 13:40:53

by Wojciech Purczynski

Subject: d_path() truncating excessive long path name vulnerability

Name: Linux kernel
Version: up to 2.2.20 and 2.4.18
Homepage: http://www.kernel.org/
Author: Wojciech Purczynski <[email protected]>
Date: March 26, 2002

Issue:
======

In case of excessively long path names d_path kernel internal function
returns truncated trailing components of a path name instead of an error
value. As this function is called by getcwd(2) system call and
do_proc_readlink() function, false information may be returned to
user-space processes.

============

Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix, written from scratch by
Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across
the Net. It aims towards POSIX and Single UNIX Specification compliance.

Details:
========

d_path kernel function resolves a string of absolute path name of a dentry
passed as an argument to the function.

The path is a concatenation of subsequent path components starting from
trailing path component. The concatenated path name is stored into a
fixed-length buffer of PAGE_SIZE bytes.

If a dentry points to a path that exceeds PAGE_SIZE - 1 characters length,
leading path components are not written to the buffer and function returns
truncated path without an error value.

Because getcwd(2) system call uses d_path() function, it may return
invalid path to the user-space process. However, if a returned path is
longer than user-space buffer a correct error value is returned.

readlink(2) system call called on proc filesystem uses do_proc_readlink()
function which is also vulnerable to d_path() bug.

Impact:
=======

Privileged process may be tricked to think it is inside of arbitrary
directory. Other scenarios are possible if readlink() is used on files on
proc filesystem (like "/proc/self/exe").

PS: Please CC to [email protected] as I may not be subscribed to the list.

- --
Wojciech Purczynski
iSEC Security Research
http://isec.pl/

Attachments:
dpathx.c (1.14 kB)
proof-of-concept exploit

2002-03-27 23:00:46

by S/ash

This is a copy of a mail i've sent to bugtraq, i'm not currently a subscriber of linux mailing list but i've thought it could interest you.

Welcome i've made a quick patch for 2.2.20 internationnal kernels. I think it should work also for standard 2.2.20 kernels.
It's just quick so i've not made a lot of test but it works.

you need to apply it to path-to-linux-source/fs/dcache.c

Say me if it doesn't work...
S/ash

*** dcache.c.old Wed Mar 27 14:05:23 2002
--- dcache.c Wed Mar 27 14:34:13 2002
***************
*** 795,801 ****
--- 795,804 ----
namelen = dentry->d_name.len;
buflen -= namelen + 1;
if (buflen < 0)
+ {
+ retval = buffer - 1;
break;
+ }
end -= namelen;
memcpy(end, dentry->d_name.name, namelen);
*--end = '/';

by psz

Back in March 2002, Wojciech Purczynski <[email protected]> wrote (original
article at http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/264117 ):

> Name: Linux kernel
> Version: up to 2.2.20 and 2.4.18
> In case of excessively long path names d_path kernel internal function
> returns truncated trailing components of a path name instead of an error
> value. As this function is called by getcwd(2) system call and
> do_proc_readlink() function, false information may be returned to
> user-space processes.

The problem is still present in Debian 2.4.19 kernel. I have not tried 2.5,
but see nothing relevant in the Changelogs at http://www.kernel.org/ .

Cheers,

Paul Szabo - [email protected] http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics University of Sydney 2006 Australia

2002-11-28 17:52:07

by Solar Designer

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:04:04PM +1100, Paul Szabo wrote:
> Back in March 2002, Wojciech Purczynski <[email protected]> wrote (original
> article at http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/264117 ):
>
> > Name: Linux kernel
> > Version: up to 2.2.20 and 2.4.18
> > In case of excessively long path names d_path kernel internal function
> > returns truncated trailing components of a path name instead of an error
> > value. As this function is called by getcwd(2) system call and
> > do_proc_readlink() function, false information may be returned to
> > user-space processes.
>
> The problem is still present in Debian 2.4.19 kernel. I have not tried 2.5,
> but see nothing relevant in the Changelogs at http://www.kernel.org/ .

FWIW, I've included a workaround for this (covering the getcwd(2) case
only, not other uses of d_path() by the kernel or modules) in 2.2.21-ow1
patch and it went into 2.2.22 release in September.

This kind of proves the need for double-checking newer kernel branches
(2.4.x and 2.5.x currently) for fixes going into what many consider
stable kernels.

--
/sd

2002-11-28 21:32:15

by psz

Solar Designer wrote:

> FWIW, I've included a workaround for this (covering the getcwd(2) case
> only, not other uses of d_path() by the kernel or modules) in 2.2.21-ow1
> patch and it went into 2.2.22 release in September.

Another reply shows that a patch has been submitted, but not acted upon: