2002-12-03 11:11:05

by John Bradford

Subject: Input core support required for non-USB joystick

Using 2.4.20, (and possibly earlier versions, I haven't checked), it's necessary to enable input core support, before non-USB joystick support can be enabled.

I thought that input core support related to USB specifically, is that incorrect?

John.

2002-12-03 11:36:47

by Brad Hards

2002-12-03 11:59:55

by John Bradford

> > Using 2.4.20, (and possibly earlier versions, I haven't checked), it's
> > necessary to enable input core support, before non-USB joystick
> > support can be enabled.
> >
> > I thought that input core support related to USB specifically, is that
> > incorrect?

> It is incorrect.
> When the input core support first went in, the old methods for handling
> joysticks went out.

Ah, OK - in that case I think we should update the configuration help,
it implies that it's for USB devices only:

CONFIG_INPUT:

Say Y here if you want to enable any of the following options for
USB Human Interface Device (HID) support.

Say Y here if you want to enable any of the USB HID options in the
USB support section which require Input core support.

Otherwise, say N.

Especially as standard keyboards and mice don't require it.

> Where do you think the low major number came from? :-)

Good point :-).

John.