2002-12-05 15:48:14

by Felix Maibaum

Subject: 2.4.20 locks up after ide init on tyan s2460

Hi!

fine-print first: I am sorry if this is a stupid question, I know you're all
very busy, but I have no other explanation for this than a kernel bug, so
here it goes:

I compiled 2.4.20 on my Tyan s2460 with 2 AMD XP1700+,
and after the ide init of the promise Ultra66 contoller I get the following
message:

blk: queue c032d16c, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)

and the system locks up (no NumLock, no magic sysreq.).
This happened with the vanilla kernel as well as with the sources from debian.
To avoid an attachment I put my kernel config up at:

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013531/kernel_config_2.4.20

other hardware in the system is:
512M of main memory, 80G maxtor on hde, 30 and 45G IBM on hdg and hdh, this is
the promise ultra66.
on the onboard controller there is a toshiba DVD, a plextor 12X CD/RW and a
Pioneer DVD-R/RW,
NVIDIA Geforce2pro,
3com Boomerang 10/100 Ethernet
creative SBLive 1024

Since I don't subscribe to the list for traffic reasons, please cc me or
answer directly. If more data is needed I'll be glad to provide it.

Thanks

Felix

2002-12-05 19:25:16

by Mathiasen, Torben

Subject: Re: 2.4.20 locks up after ide init on tyan s2460

Does it work if you boot with 'ide=nodma' ?

Also please provide your dmesg output.

Torben

On Thu, Dec 05 2002, Felix Maibaum wrote:
> Hi!
>
> fine-print first: I am sorry if this is a stupid question, I know you're all
> very busy, but I have no other explanation for this than a kernel bug, so
> here it goes:
>
> I compiled 2.4.20 on my Tyan s2460 with 2 AMD XP1700+,
> and after the ide init of the promise Ultra66 contoller I get the following
> message:
>
> blk: queue c032d16c, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
>
> and the system locks up (no NumLock, no magic sysreq.).
> This happened with the vanilla kernel as well as with the sources from debian.
> To avoid an attachment I put my kernel config up at:
>
> http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013531/kernel_config_2.4.20
>
> other hardware in the system is:
> 512M of main memory, 80G maxtor on hde, 30 and 45G IBM on hdg and hdh, this is
> the promise ultra66.
> on the onboard controller there is a toshiba DVD, a plextor 12X CD/RW and a
> Pioneer DVD-R/RW,
> NVIDIA Geforce2pro,
> 3com Boomerang 10/100 Ethernet
> creative SBLive 1024
>
> Since I don't subscribe to the list for traffic reasons, please cc me or
> answer directly. If more data is needed I'll be glad to provide it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Felix
>
> -

by Felix Maibaum

Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2002 13:32 schrieben Sie:
> Does it work if you boot with 'ide=nodma' ?

no, the only difference ist that I don't get that message anymore, but the
system still halts. It happens right after the controllers are detected:

ide0 at someaddress on someirq
ide1 at someaddress on someirq
ide2 at someaddress on someirq
ide3 at someaddress on someirq

and before the harddisks attached to these controllers should be detected.

> Also please provide your dmesg output.

gladly, but it is of course from 2.4.19, as I am unable to run 2.4.20.

it's at

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013531/dmesg.txt

any other ideas?

Felix