2002-12-09 22:38:37

by Daniel Franke

Subject: Radeon DRI w/ large memory

I recently upgraded my memory to 1GB and compiled 4GB large memory support
into the kernel. Now, my display freezes when I try to use DRI with my
ATI Radeon VE (Radeon 7000 chipset IIRC). The machine is still responsive
to the LAN, but even if I kill X, the display remains frozen. Disabling
large memory support makes the problem go away.

I can live without the extra 44MB of memory, but I'd really like to get this
fixed. I vaguely remember hearing about a bug like this, but I have to
idea how to patch it. I use 2.4.20-ac1 and my motherboard is a Gigabyte
GA-7VRX.

Thanks,
Daniel Franke

2002-12-10 01:46:42

by Daniel Franke

Subject: Re: Radeon DRI w/ large memory

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:45:53PM -0500, I wrote:
> I recently upgraded my memory to 1GB and compiled 4GB large memory support
> into the kernel. Now, my display freezes when I try to use DRI with my
> ATI Radeon VE (Radeon 7000 chipset IIRC). The machine is still responsive
> to the LAN, but even if I kill X, the display remains frozen. Disabling
> large memory support makes the problem go away.
>
> I use 2.4.20-ac1

Everything seems fine when I use vanilla 2.4.20. Hightower from #kernelnewbies
tells me that there is a known bug in -ac with Radeon DRI and 2.4.20-ac1, but
that as far as he is aware, the bug occurs regardless of the large memory
setting. However, since the bug goes away when I switch to the linus tree, I
will assume that it is the same bug. If I see otherwise when the known bug is
supposedly fixed, I will post further information.

2002-12-10 16:14:50

by Alan

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 01:54, Daniel Franke wrote:
> Everything seems fine when I use vanilla 2.4.20. Hightower from #kernelnewbies
> tells me that there is a known bug in -ac with Radeon DRI and 2.4.20-ac1, but
> that as far as he is aware, the bug occurs regardless of the large memory
> setting. However, since the bug goes away when I switch to the linus tree, I
> will assume that it is the same bug. If I see otherwise when the known bug is
> supposedly fixed, I will post further information.

Sounds unrelated. I'm removing the drm update in -ac soon I think.

2002-12-11 08:25:04

by Mario Mikocevic

Subject: Re: Radeon DRI

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 04:56:18PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> I'm removing the drm update in -ac soon I think.

Where can we find latest Radeon DRI/DRM update !?
So I can resolve something like this ->

Radeon DRI driver:
Compatibility mode for DRM driver version 1.1.1
TCL will be disabled, expect reduced performance
(prefer DRM radeon.o 1.3.x or newer)

ps
linus-2.4.20

--