2002-12-10 05:22:41

by eric

Subject: how do you successful compile or install 2.5.50?

Dear Valdis:

I also download from kernel.org 2.5.50, it have error at make modules
or make install

after I downloan another patch-ac1 or mm1, and patch it with 2.5.50,
recompile(I mean make modules or make install) it still have error, (I
ever email the author)

I just wonder how do you successful compile or install that 2.5.50?
do you meet error at make modules? if yes, how do you do ?(modify by
yourself or postto author or public waiting for reply?)

highly appreciate your experience on compile or install new kernel
especailly experiamental kernel

sincere ERic
http://www.linuxspice.com
linux pc for sale

2002-12-10 21:35:00

by eric

Subject: Re: how do you successful compile or install 2.5.50?

Holger Waechtler wrote:

> eric lin wrote:
>
>> Dear Valdis:
>>
>> I also download from kernel.org 2.5.50, it have error at make
>> modules or make install
>

> Where exactly do you get the error? Please send post the last lines of
> your compile log to the appropriate mailing list.
>
> linux-dvb for DVB-related stuff and linux-kernel for the general stuff.
>
> Holger

gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/char/.mxser.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686
-Iarch/i386/mach-generic -Iarch/i386/mach-defaults -nostdinc
-iwithprefix include -DMODULE -DKBUILD_BASENAME=mxser
-DKBUILD_MODNAME=mxser -c -o drivers/char/mxser.o drivers/char/mxser.c
drivers/char/mxser.c:378: redefinition of `__module_name'
drivers/char/mxser.c:332: `__module_name' previously defined here
make[2]: *** [drivers/char/mxser.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
www:/home/fsshl/linux-2.5.50#

that is 2.5.50 with .50-ac1 patch
/* I do not know now where can get 2.5.50 since I got from kernel.org
the latest is 50 but now is 51 */

sincere Eric
http://www.linuxspice.com
linux pc for sale

2002-12-11 17:02:54

by Bill Davidsen

In article <[email protected]>,
eric lin <[email protected]> wrote:

| I also download from kernel.org 2.5.50, it have error at make modules
| or make install

| highly appreciate your experience on compile or install new kernel
| especailly experiamental kernel

I highly commend disabling module support and building everything
directly in the kernel. If you get this working you can visit the list
archives and read about modules after 2.5.47, and decide if you really
need modules in 2.5 kernels, and what to change if you do.
--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by Philippe Gramoullé

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 06:30:54 -0700
eric lin <[email protected]> wrote:

You might want to give 2.5.51 a try as i successfully buit it and modules have been working fine
(you need latest modules tools found here:

| On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:04:27 +1100
| Rusty Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

| Hi all,
|
| module-init-tools 0.9.3 and the associated RPM
| modutils-2.4.21-7.src.rpm are out.
|
| http://www.[CC].kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/

Bye

Philippe.

# uname -a
Linux test 2.5.51 #5 SMP Wed Dec 11 19:05:40 CET 2002 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

# lsmod

Module Size Used by
dummy 1720 1
hid 21186 0