2002-12-13 01:41:56

by Stephen Williams

Subject: Linux/alpha vs. 2.4.20 and ISO9660 vs long file names

I don't know if this is an alpha-specific problem, but I am having
some troubles with the off-the-shelf 2.4.20 kernel on a RedHat 7.2
system (upgraded from 7.1).

For some reason, ls is having trouble with long file names on the
disk. I follow with strace, and getdents64 is returning the right
number of entries, but then ls tries to lstat a truncated name.
I can't say of the getdirent64 is trundating the name, but it seems
likely.

The ls program itself is likely fine because I don't see this
problem when running 2.4.18. Also, other programs that get directory
listings have troubles with the longer file names on ISO CDROMS.
Furthermore, shorter file names (still longer then 8 characters)
work fine.

P.S. I'm not subscribed to the list. Please CC me.

--
Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep,

2002-12-13 13:15:47

by Falk Hueffner

"Stephen Williams" <[email protected]> writes:

> For some reason, ls is having trouble with long file names on the
> disk. I follow with strace, and getdents64 is returning the right
> number of entries, but then ls tries to lstat a truncated name. I
> can't say of the getdirent64 is trundating the name, but it seems
> likely.

This might be caused by a bug in stxcpy. Please try 2.4.210-pre1,
which contains a patch by Ivan Kokshaysky for this.

--
Falk

2002-12-14 16:06:04

by Stephen Williams

[email protected] said:
> This might be caused by a bug in stxcpy. Please try 2.4.210-pre1,
> which contains a patch by Ivan Kokshaysky for this.

2.4.21-pre1 seems to have cured my symptoms, so I'm satisfied.
I guess that means that vanilla 2.4.20 is not right for alphas.
Thanks for the suggestion.