2002-12-19 20:51:55

by Bill Davidsen

Subject: Are working modules going to be in 2.6?

I have downloaded any number of modutil this and init-mod that, built them
static, rolled my own initrd files, and as far as I can tell it just
doesn't work with 2.5.48+.

I build my own 2.4 and early 2.5 setups, they boot, right up to the point
where the "improved" module setup comes in. Since then I have to build the
drivers in to get a boot. That's acceptable for a single test machine,
it's not desirable to build a kernel for every config I support instead of
just building a new initrd file for a new config.

Is there any plan to get this working, or if a magician can make it work
perhaps publishing the spell?

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by Francois Romieu

Subject: Re: Are working modules going to be in 2.6?

Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> :
[...]
> I have downloaded any number of modutil this and init-mod that, built them
> static, rolled my own initrd files, and as far as I can tell it just
> doesn't work with 2.5.48+.

Here it worked with 2.5.50 + module-init-tools-0.9. No special magic.
In-kernel 3c59x + initrd + (really gory style) nfs root.

If you're interested, kernel .config is available at:
http://electric-eye.fr.zoreil.com/2.5.50/misc/config.gz

--
Ueimor

2002-12-20 14:20:25

by Horst H. von Brand

Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> said:
> I have downloaded any number of modutil this and init-mod that, built them
> static, rolled my own initrd files, and as far as I can tell it just
> doesn't work with 2.5.48+.

Strange. My setup works fine with initrd, modutils from Rusty and 2.5.50 at
least. I had to redo the mkinitrd step for it to work under RH 8.0, but
that was it.

by Marco d'Itri

On Dec 19, Bill Davidsen <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is there any plan to get this working, or if a magician can make it work
>perhaps publishing the spell?
Hint: modutils has a lot of hidden default aliases which do not appear
in modules.conf.

Other than not knowing how to enable loading of the mouse modules I did
not have any problem the latest m-i-t and kernel.

--
ciao,
Marco