2002-12-22 05:24:10

by Joshua Stewart

Subject: A little explanation needed

Can anyone explain the purpose of this #define...

#define __cpu_raise_softirq(cpu, nr) do { softirq_pending(cpu) |= 1UL <<
(nr); } while (0) // from interrupt.h

...versus the more "plain"...

#define __cpu_raise_softirq(cpu,nr) softirq_pending(cpu |= 1UL << (nr).

In otherwords, what's the use of a do{X}while(0) "loop" instead of just
X. I'm not the world's best trained C programmer, so forgive me if I
sound stupid.

Josh

2002-12-22 05:30:13

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: A little explanation needed

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 12:36:32AM -0500, Joshua Stewart wrote:

> In otherwords, what's the use of a do{X}while(0) "loop" instead of just
> X. I'm not the world's best trained C programmer, so forgive me if I
> sound stupid.

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/faq/index.php3#dowhile

Hope that helps,

greg k-h

2002-12-22 20:10:07

by DervishD

Hi Joshua :)

> In otherwords, what's the use of a do{X}while(0) "loop" instead of
> just X. I'm not the world's best trained C programmer, so forgive
> me if I sound stupid.

First, you do not sound stupid at all.

Second. The do...while use in macros is to avoid the 'swallow
semicolon' effect ;)) In other words, it makes the entire macro
appear as a single statement. This avoids problems with 'else'
constructs with macros that expand to multiple statements.

Someplace in the GNU cpp documentation you can find a far better
explanation of this effect and why the do...while helps (it makes the
macro a single statement...).

Hope that helps :)
Ra?l

2002-12-22 20:53:49

by Joshua Stewart

Thanks for the help. It all makes perfect sense after thinking about it
from a preprecessor point of view. I'm just not used to using so many
macros and so I don't realize all the implications of preprocessing
quite yet. But, I'm learning.

Josh