2002-12-26 09:37:28

by Paolo Ciarrocchi

Subject: Re: Poor performance with 2.5.52, load and process in D state

From: Andrew Morton <[email protected]>

> Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:
> >
> > > it appears that this benefit came from the special usercopy code.
> > > What sort of CPU are you using?
> >
> > It is a PIII@800.
>
> hm, don't know. I built the latest postgres locally. Perhaps the
> alignment of some application buffer is different.

I don't know.
I've built the osdb test while I've just installed postgres
from the Mandrake 9 standard installation (so i586.rpm).

May be we are using different version of postgres...

Anyway, my test show that there is a lack of performance
in 2.5.* is the kernel fits in a machine with low memory,
any hint ?

And probably the "standard" swappiness value is not the
optimal, I'd like to see a few tests with the contest
tool ;-)

Ciao,
Paolo
http://www.linuxmail.org/