2002-12-26 08:26:31

by Con Kolivas

Subject: [BENCHMARK] 2.5.53-mm1 with contest

Here are some contest results for 2.5.53-mm1 with osdl hardware:
Share pagetables is on.

Uniprocessor:
noload:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [3] 70.2 96 0 0 1.05
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 74.7 96 0 0 1.12
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 74.6 96 0 0 1.12
2.5.53 [7] 70.1 96 0 0 1.05
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 71.0 96 0 0 1.06
The slowdown that occurred noload and cacherun at 2.5.52-mm1/2 seems to have
gone away. I have NFI why it happened. Probably just a hardware anomaly at
the time unless someone else noticed it also?

cacherun:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [3] 67.5 99 0 0 1.01
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 71.9 99 0 0 1.08
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 72.0 99 0 0 1.08
2.5.53 [7] 67.6 99 0 0 1.01
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 68.5 99 0 0 1.03

process_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [3] 84.4 79 17 19 1.26
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 91.0 79 18 19 1.36
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 90.3 79 18 19 1.35
2.5.53 [7] 86.9 77 18 21 1.30
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 117.1 58 47 40 1.75
Big change in the balance here in process_load. Probably a better balance
really given that process_load runs 4*num_cpus processes, and the kernel
compile is make -j (4*num_cpus)

ctar_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [3] 109.8 81 2 8 1.64
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 112.2 81 3 9 1.68
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 109.6 81 2 9 1.64
2.5.53 [7] 107.4 81 3 9 1.61
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 103.1 79 3 10 1.54

xtar_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [3] 161.4 69 3 8 2.42
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 127.9 70 2 7 1.92
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 125.0 70 2 7 1.87
2.5.53 [7] 151.0 69 3 8 2.26
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 150.2 66 2 7 2.25
Seems to correlate with 2.5.53 vanilla time here instead of the mm* of the
past

io_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 120.9 60 13 12 1.81
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 143.9 55 18 13 2.16
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 129.3 61 14 12 1.94
2.5.53 [7] 113.9 63 12 12 1.71
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 133.1 57 23 17 1.99
Whereas this correlates with mm*

io_other:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 94.9 76 7 10 1.42
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 115.5 67 11 11 1.73
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 93.3 79 7 9 1.40
2.5.53 [7] 99.5 73 8 10 1.49
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 107.7 70 18 17 1.61
Slightly longer time here with significantly more loads done.

read_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [3] 88.1 80 15 7 1.32
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 97.0 78 15 6 1.45
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 93.6 80 15 6 1.40
2.5.53 [7] 88.2 80 15 6 1.32
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 89.6 80 12 6 1.34

list_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [3] 81.0 86 0 9 1.21
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 86.8 85 0 9 1.30
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 86.3 85 0 9 1.29
2.5.53 [7] 81.5 85 0 9 1.22
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 82.1 85 0 9 1.23

mem_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [3] 100.0 78 45 2 1.50
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 117.5 69 45 1 1.76
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 108.0 77 46 2 1.62
2.5.53 [7] 98.7 80 44 2 1.48
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 110.9 67 41 1 1.66

The SMP results seem to fluctuate too much between runs even with the average
of 7 runs. I'm wondering whether I should even bother with them any more as
they dont add any useful information as far as I can see. Comments on this
would be appreciated. Andrew?

SMP Results:
noload:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 39.3 181 0 0 1.09
2.5.52-mm1 [8] 39.7 180 0 0 1.10
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 39.2 181 0 0 1.08
2.5.53 [7] 39.4 181 0 0 1.09
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 40.2 181 0 0 1.11

cacherun:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 36.5 194 0 0 1.01
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 36.9 194 0 0 1.02
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 36.5 194 0 0 1.01
2.5.53 [7] 36.6 194 0 0 1.01
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 37.4 194 0 0 1.03

process_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 48.7 144 10 49 1.34
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 49.0 144 10 50 1.35
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 46.5 152 8 41 1.28
2.5.53 [7] 47.4 149 9 44 1.31
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 53.3 134 13 59 1.47

ctar_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 56.1 161 1 10 1.55
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 55.5 156 1 10 1.53
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 52.8 154 1 10 1.46
2.5.53 [7] 56.2 159 1 10 1.55
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 53.4 159 1 10 1.47

xtar_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 83.1 138 1 9 2.29
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 77.4 122 1 8 2.14
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 76.1 124 1 8 2.10
2.5.53 [7] 82.9 129 1 9 2.29
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 69.5 129 1 8 1.92

io_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 73.1 111 10 19 2.02
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 80.5 108 10 19 2.22
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 74.5 112 11 20 2.06
2.5.53 [7] 80.0 104 12 21 2.21
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 96.4 94 16 22 2.66

io_other:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 75.1 120 10 21 2.07
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 60.1 131 7 18 1.66
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 59.9 134 6 18 1.65
2.5.53 [7] 73.6 123 10 21 2.03
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 67.8 122 11 22 1.87

read_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 49.4 151 5 7 1.36
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 49.9 149 5 6 1.38
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 50.5 147 5 6 1.39
2.5.53 [7] 50.7 151 5 7 1.40
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 51.2 149 5 6 1.41

list_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 43.2 167 0 9 1.19
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 43.8 167 0 9 1.21
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 43.7 167 0 9 1.21
2.5.53 [7] 43.7 166 0 9 1.21
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 44.1 167 0 9 1.22

mem_load:
Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
2.5.52 [7] 63.5 148 38 3 1.75
2.5.52-mm1 [7] 71.1 123 36 2 1.96
2.5.52-mm2 [7] 66.0 141 39 3 1.82
2.5.53 [7] 63.2 144 37 3 1.75
2.5.53-mm1 [7] 82.6 105 35 2 2.28

The full archived results can be found here (you can see the variation between
results if you look at each load log eg io_load.log):
http://www.osdl.org/projects/ctdevel/results/

Cheers,
Con

2002-12-26 09:33:08

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: [BENCHMARK] 2.5.53-mm1 with contest

Con Kolivas wrote:

> process_load:
> Kernel [runs] Time CPU% Loads LCPU% Ratio
> 2.5.52 [3] 84.4 79 17 19 1.26
> 2.5.52-mm1 [7] 91.0 79 18 19 1.36
> 2.5.52-mm2 [7] 90.3 79 18 19 1.35
> 2.5.53 [7] 86.9 77 18 21 1.30
> 2.5.53-mm1 [7] 117.1 58 47 40 1.75
> Big change in the balance here in process_load. Probably a better balance
> really given that process_load runs 4*num_cpus processes, and the kernel
> compile is make -j (4*num_cpus)

Presumably the run-child-first change. process_load is complex. I
haven't looked into its dynamics and I'm not sure what, if anything,
we can conclude from this test.

> The SMP results seem to fluctuate too much between runs even with the average
> of 7 runs. I'm wondering whether I should even bother with them any more as
> they dont add any useful information as far as I can see. Comments on this
> would be appreciated. Andrew?

Well for the sorts of things which you are interested in, SMP is not the
target market, shall we say?

Is the variability seen in other kernels (especially 2.4)? If not then
we'd need to find out what causes it.

2002-12-26 12:48:37

by Con Kolivas