2002-12-30 10:13:00

by abacus an

Subject: kernel compilation: pls send cc to me

hi,

Up to which versions of the kernel can we compile with
GCC 2.95.1.

regards,
abacus development team

visit http://in.tv.yahoo.com

2002-12-30 10:22:08

by Joshua Kwan

Subject: Re: kernel compilation: pls send cc to me

Well, any of them. The kernel is meant to be very portable anyway.
Although I prefer gcc-3.2 myself...

Regards
-Josh

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 10:21:15AM +0000, abacus an wrote:
> hi,
>
> Up to which versions of the kernel can we compile with
> GCC 2.95.1.
>
> regards,
> abacus development team

by John Bradford

> The kernel is meant to be very portable anyway.

Not really. The kernel is designed to compiled with a specific
compiler. A GCC version other than the recommended version might
uncover bugs that should be fixed anyway, but it might also break
things that are worked around for the recommended GCC version.

John.

2002-12-30 10:35:40

by Joshua Kwan

Oh...
Well, I stand corrected. I never noticed any difference compiling with
gcc-2.95 versus compiling with 3.2.

What is the recommended version then?

Regards
Josh

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 10:38:35AM +0000, John Bradford wrote:
> > The kernel is meant to be very portable anyway.
>
> Not really. The kernel is designed to compiled with a specific
> compiler. A GCC version other than the recommended version might
> uncover bugs that should be fixed anyway, but it might also break
> things that are worked around for the recommended GCC version.
>
> John.

2002-12-30 10:52:21

by John Bradford

> Well, I stand corrected. I never noticed any difference compiling with
> gcc-2.95 versus compiling with 3.2.
>
> What is the recommended version then?

Well, as far as I know it's still officially 2.95.3 for both 2.4 and
2.5.

There shouldn't be _major_ problems compiling with 3.2, but it has had
far less testing, so something like a filesystem corruption bug could
go unnoticed for longer if it wasn't happening with 2.95.3 compiled
kernels as well.

John.