2003-01-02 03:36:48

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Linux v2.5.54

Happy new year to you all, hopefully most of you are back from the dead
and the hangovers are all long gone. And if not, I'm told reading a large
kernel patch is _just_ the medication for whatever ails you.

The 2.5.54 patch is largely mainly a big collection of various small
things, all over the place (diffstat shows a long list of small changes,
with some noticeable activity in UML, the MPT fusion driver and some of
the fbcon drivers).

Various module updates (deprecated functions, updated loaders etc), usb,
m68k, x86-64 updates, kbuild stuff etc etc.

Linus

----

Summary of changes from v2.5.53 to v2.5.54

<[email protected]>:
o Extra parameters removed from the ultracam driver

<[email protected]>:
o Handle kmalloc fails: drivers/usb/input/pid.c

<[email protected]>:
o Documentation/Changes for modules

<[email protected]>:
o fix null agp_bridge.dev with KT400

<[email protected]>:
o One more update for osst in 2.5.53

Alan Stern <[email protected]>:
o ide-tape driver update

Andi Kleen <[email protected]>:
o kbuild: Stem compression for kallsyms
o share i386/x86-64 oprofile code
o x86-64 update
o Add AMD K8 support to 2.5.53

Andrew Morton <[email protected]>:
o INIT_TASK/INIT_TSS cleanup
o remove unused local in drivers/pci/probe.c
o Fix compile warning in drivers/serial/core.c
o disable dead functions smp_read_mpc_oem() and
o fix wakeup_secondary_cpu warning, code bloat
o fix numaq builds
o Docs: fix explanation of file-nr
o Remove /proc/meminfo:MemShared
o BIN_TO_BCD consolidation
o Enable semtimedop for ia64 32-bit emulation
o add drain_local_pages() for CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND
o kmalloc_percpu -- stripped down version
o Don't cacheline-align vm_area_struct
o remove task_struct.swappable
o remove hugetlb syscalls
o Fix missing brelse() on ext3 htree error path
o promote the ALIGN() macro
o don't call console drivers on non-online CPUs
o Reduce context switch rate due to the random driver
o Don't make the slab might_sleep() check dependent on slab debugging
o quota locking update

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <[email protected]>:
o sparc: add missing __{start,stop}___param to vmlinux.lds.S

Brian Murphy <[email protected]>:
o crc32 speedup/use anywhere

Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]>:
o remove CONFIG_X86_NUMA
o nommu systems can't support /proc/<pid>/maps
o rewrite i2c-amd756 to resemble a linux driver
o check_region remove for drivers/i2c/
o make i2c use initcalls everywhere
o more deprectation bits
o avoid deprecated module functions in core code
o clean up subarchitecture selection
o remove superflous module use count handling in jbd
o more module warning fixes
o get rid of TRUE/FALSE abuse in the scsi midlayer
o fix i2c module handling
o i2c updates
o remove obsolete i2c headers
o more obsolete module API fixes
o rename CONFIG_VOYAGER to CONFIG_X86_VOYAGER
o Missed one 'try_inc_mod_count()'
o fix fs/dquot.c compilation
o more i2c cruft removal
o include <linux/vfs.h> only in files actually needing it
o devfs creptomancy
o some ppp/usecount bug

Dave Jones <[email protected]>:
o [AGP] remove unused variable from 8151 GART driver
o [AGP] CONFIG_AGP3 depends on CONFIG_AGP
o [AGP] set the AMD8151 agp_bridge.type if we detected it
o [AGP] propagate agp_backend_acquire() return code up to the ioctl
o [AGP] Remove broken deprecated module locking
o [AGP] Clean up atomic usage of agp_bridge.agp_in_use
o [AGP] Gratuitous whitespace cleanups
o [AGP] mmap readability cleanup
o Fix up numerous '`xxxxx' is not at beginning of declaration' style
warnings

David Brownell <[email protected]>:
o usbcore dma updates (and doc)
o cleanup after dead hc needs task context
o ehci.txt (doc update)

Dominik Brodowski <[email protected]>:
o cpufreq: deprecated usage of CPUFREQ_ALL_CPUS
o cpufreq: longhaul cleanup
o cpufreq: powernow-k6 cleanup
o cpufreq: remove usage of #typedef

Douglas Gilbert <[email protected]>:
o 2.5.53 SCSI_IOCTL_GET_IDLUN+GET_BUS_NUMBER revisited

Ganesh Varadarajan <[email protected]>:
o USB ipaq driver update

Geert Uytterhoeven <[email protected]>:
o M68k {,smp_}read_barrier_depends()
o M68k do_coredump() update
o M68k module list updates
o M68k do_fork() updates
o M68k *__param sections
o M68k thread_info.restart_block
o STRAM for_each_process()
o NCR5380 unbalanced curly brace
o struct font_desc
o Atari NCR5380 SCSI: bitops operate on long
o Sun-3 and Atari NCR5380 scsi_host_hn_get()
o Ataflop compile fix
o Amiflop incorrect sti()
o M68k local_irq_count update
o NCR53C9x ESP updates
o duplicate bwtwofb Makefile entry
o Mac/m68k VIA updates
o struct font_desc external use
o M68k parport local_irq*() updates
o M68k net local_irq*() updates
o M68k bogus prototype
o BVME6000 core local_irq*() updates
o Sun-3x core local_irq*() updates
o Mac/m68k core local_irq*() updates
o M68k block local_irq*() updates
o M68k char local_irq*() updates
o MVME147 core local_irq*() updates
o M68k fbdev local_irq*() updates
o M68k misc_register audit
o Mac/m68k early startup fixes
o Sun-3 core local_irq*() updates
o M68k mac local_irq*() updates
o M68k initramfs updates
o Q40/Q60 core local_irq*() updates
o MVME16x core local_irq*() updates
o Atari core local_irq*() updates
o Nubus local_irq*() updates
o Mac/m68k config fixes
o Missing #include <linux/interrupt.h>
o WD33C93 SCSI irq framework updates
o M68k MAP_* definitions
o Sun-3/3x PTE updates
o M68k module updates
o M68k SCSI host templates
o Sun-3 SBUS updates
o register_console() comment typo
o Mac/m68k Nubus updates
o Sun-3 serial
o Amiga FastLane SCSI z_io{re,un}map()
o STRAM printf() format
o z2ram: unused variables
o Q40 keyboard warnings
o M68k scsi local_irq*() updates
o Atari Falcon IDE: clean up ide_intr_lock handling
o Atari NCR5380 SCSI: bitops operate on long

Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email protected]>:
o USB: make the usbserial driver have the same name for the tty, usb,
and module subsystems
o USB: convert visor driver to use dev_err() and dev_info() macros
o USB: convert usbserial core to use dev_err() and dev_info() macros
o USB: convert empeg driver to use dev_err() and dev_info() macros
o USB: convert io_edgeport driver to use dev_err() and dev_info()
macros
o USB: convert io_ti driver to use dev_err() and dev_info() macros
o USB: convert ir-usb driver to use dev_err() and dev_info() macros
o USB: convert keyspan driver to use dev_err() and dev_info() macros
o USB: convert pl2303 driver to use dev_err() and dev_info() macros
o USB: take out private pointer from struct usb_serial_port
o USB: fix up the usb-serial drivers due to the removal of the struct
usb_serial_port private pointer
o USB: add usb_get_serial_data() and usb_set_serial_data() functions
o USB: use usb_get_serial_data() and usb_set_serial_data() functions
o USB: remove private_data pointer from struct usb_interface, as it
shouldn't be used anymore
o USB: fix compiler warnings in the isdn usb drivers
o USB misc drivers: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB serial drivers: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB core drivers: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB media drivers: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB skeleton driver: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB class drivers: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB image drivers: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB input drivers: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB skeleton: missed a dev_get_drvdata usage
o USB net drivers: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB storage driver: remove direct calls to dev_set* and dev_get*
o USB drivers outside /drivers/usb: remove direct calls to dev_set*
and dev_get*
o USB: fix up some bugs in the cpia driver
o USB: rename usb_free_dev() to usb_put_dev()
o USB: use the driver model to handle reference counting of struct
usb_device
o USB: fix kaweth driver which was accessing the struct usb_device
refcnt variable directly
o USB: more dev_printk() cleanups
o TTY: Change tty_*register_devfs() to tty_*register_device()
o TTY: add tty_devclass to the tty core
o TTY: Use the tty_devclass for all usb-serial devices
o TTY: replace MIN and MAX macro usages with min() and max()
o USB: fix up init_module and cleanup_module mess in speedtouch
driver
o USB: convert more dbg() calls to dev_dbg for the ohci driver
o USB: convert more dbg() calls to dev_dbg for the usb core

Henning Meier-Geinitz <[email protected]>:
o scanner.c: Accept scanners with more than one interface
o scanner.c: fix compilation error with debugging enabled

Hirofumi Ogawa <[email protected]>:
o adds st_blocks for [lf]stat() to ramfs
o Simplify ramfs_getattr() and move it to the generic libfs.c

Ingo Molnar <[email protected]>:
o Save fs/gs over vm86 mode switch

Ivan Kokshaysky <[email protected]>:
o fix PCI bridge handling in probe.c

James Bottomley <[email protected]>:
o kbuild: fix bug in scripts/kallsyms.c
o Fix pci-dma compatibility code for "dev == NULL"
o Fix hw_irq to test the proper CONFIG variable
o Enable Voyager in current kernel
o separate out trampoline so other subarchs can use it
o Move voyager sysrq to V key and remove from char/sysrq.c
o subarch: change SMP define to X86_HT
o Make the TSC a run-time specifier only
o boot with small GDT
o fix aic7xxx highmem bouncing

James Simmons <[email protected]>:
o Fixes from the PPC guys. Lots of small fixes
o More STI updates
o Fix for m68k. They need the struct font_desc super early in the
boot process
o Added in Radeon PCI ids into pci_ids.h from radeon.h. IGA fbdev
uses C99 now
o Anothe rattempt at commting
o Updates for the STI fbdev and console driver
o Updates to the NVIDIA driver. We now support more cards. I still
have more hacking to do
o Voodoo 1 ported to new api. STI and NVIDIA updates. MDA console
fixes. Moved the logo code from fbcon to fbdev
o Port of chipsfb driver to new api. Removed the fontwidth8 option.
Let the xxxfb_imageblit function handle this. 64 bit m achine fixes
o Merge with davem work
o Merged with Linus tree. Some conflicts to resolve
o Ported Voodoo1 driver to new api
o Radeon driver port to final api. Cleanup of vga16fb
o Link in fix and cleanup plus a typo in pmagb-b-fb.h file
o Remove old module crap
o Showing the logo on every open became annoying. I leave it up to
the driver writers when they want to display the logo. Fo embeded
devices it probably is wise to have them set there mode themselves
then display the logo to let them know if the hartdware worked.
FOnt header file location changed

Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>:
o PnP update

Jeff Dike <[email protected]>:
o Moved the net changes to arch/um/drivers/Makefile into updates to a
void a merge conflict.
o Merged the network fixes from the 2.4 pool
o Copied in the new files for the slirp transport and slip cleanup
o Merged the help text from the 2.4 Configure.help
o Added the UML HOWTO in Documentation/uml
o Updated to 2.5.48
o Merged the get_config changes from 2.4
o A few more fixes to get 2.4.48 to boot
o Merged a number of bug fixes from the 2.4 pool
o Moved the ptproxy code from arch/um/ptproxy to
arch/um/kernel/tt/ptproxy.
o Fixed the Makefiles so that the ptproxy move from arch/um/ptproxy
to arch/um/kernel/tt/ptproxy works.
o Merged the os_kill_process and the driver from_user changes from
the 2.4 pool.
o Fixes to the last merge
o Merged the signal frame cleanups and fixes from 2.4
o Fixed a couple of buglets in the signal frame merge
o Merged the skas exec reorg
o Declared mode_tt in user_util.h
o Merged most of the rest of the skas changes
o Added arch/um/kernel/skas/util/*, which I missed somehow
o Added ptrace-skas.h and ptrace-tt.h
o Added mode.h, mk_constants_kern.c, mk_constants_user.c, and
um_mmu.h
o Added the mode mmu.h and mode.h headers
o Changed the config to pull in zlib
o Added arch/um/include/mode_kern.h
o Added a batch of files under arch/um/kernel/skas
o Added a bunch of C files under arch/um/kernel/skas and
arch/um/kernel/tt.
o Added skas/mem_user.c and tt/gdb.c
o Added the uaccess changes from the skas merge
o A number of small fixes for the uaccess merge
o Applied the sigcontext changes in the skas code
o Some minor build and compilation fixes to the copy_sc merge
o Merged the IP checksum changes from the skas code
o Removed the checksum.S symlink from arch/um/sys-i386/Makefile
o Some small build fixes to the IP checksum merge
o Merged a number of small skas changes
o Minor build fixes to the last batch of skas merges
o Merged the tlb.c changes from the skas patch
o Fixed various build problems with the tlb.c merge
o Merged the rest of the skas changes
o Finished the skas merge by eliminating a syntax error, fixing the
new compilation warnings, and fixing a call to handle_page_fault.
o Updated to 2.5.49, which involved fixing the calls to do_fork
o A whole lot of small changes to sync up the 2.4 and 2.5 pools
somewhat. Mostly whitespace changes, plus some code movement.
o Small fixes to sync up the 2.4 and 2.5 pools
o Fixed a stupid compile bug
o Updated to 2.5.50
o Added a couple of includes as part of the 2.5.50 update
o Applied updates from 2.5.51 and 2.5.52
o Removed includes of Rules.mk
o Updated to 2.5.52. A couple of changes relating to system call
restarting.
o Forward ported a bunch of fixes from 2.4
o Fixed the calls to os_get_process in port_kern.c

Jochen Hein <[email protected]>:
o fix uninitialized timer in yenta.c

Justin T. Gibbs <[email protected]>:
o Decend into the aic7xxx directory for the aic79xx driver too
o Correct leading whitespace
o Remove incorrect dependency on SCSI_AIC7XXX_BUILD_FIRMWARE and
AIC7XXX_REG_PRETTY_PRINT. The constant rebuild is due to the build
process deciding that the pretty_print.c file is an intermediate
file and that problem lies elsewhere.
o Preface the "asserting atn" diagnostic with controller/target
information
o Preface the "asserting atn" diagnostic with controller/target
information
o Correctly enable highmem_io option in 2.5.X
o Restore driver style. All functions are declared prior to being
defined
o Fix the last reference to the reg_print.c file handle in
symtable_dump
o Use down_interruptable() rather than down() to avoid having the DV
threads counted toward the load average.
o Ignore media not-present errors during DV. This caused DV to fail
o Clean up check_region() usage. It is deprecated in 2.5.X and
2.4.X, but is still required in earlier kernels.
o Add a failsafe mechanism to configure devices that have inquiry
data but somehow are not handled by the DV state machine. This
ensures that the behavior seen before DV is restored in the event
of a DV state machine failure.
o Bump aic7xxx and aic79xx driver versions to reflect recent DV
changes

Kai Germaschewski <[email protected]>:
o kbuild: Fix sounds/synth/emux/Makefile
o kbuild: Fix "make some/file.lst"
o kbuild: Fix kallsyms on 64 bit archs
o kbuild: Provide "make some/dir/module.ko"

Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>:
o AIC7XX_PROBE_EISA_VL should depend on SCSI_AIC7XXX
o Make the default values for DS/ES be the _user_ segment descriptors
o The fast poll code incorrectly assumed that "sizeof pp" was the
same as "offsetof pp->entries". Which happens to be true on 32-bit
platforms, but not on 64-bit ones.
o Get rid of atari-specific "ide_intr_lock" from generic IDE code
o Enable prefetching on P4/PIII class machines with
CONFIG_X86_PREFETCH
o Lost CONFIG_X86_TSC in voyager merge
o Update x86 "defconfig" to something that matches our current config
a bit more closely.
o Fix some special cases for "sysenter" - some system calls depend on
doing a full register restore on return to user space, and thus
require the long system call exit path (ie "iret" instead of
"sysexit").
o Force 64-bit extend for x86 __put_user_u64(), since nothing in the
inline asm will do it for us.
o Put X86_NUMAQ and X86_SUMMIT under the "Subarchitecture Type"
config
o Add proper dependencies for the i2c chips/busses
o Crapectomy
o Avoid unused variable in route.c
o Make x86 platform choice strings more easily selectable
o Find the QT libs in more places.. (At least RH-8.1)
o Quoth James: "Oops, mea culpa on that one. It's missing a trailing `__'
o From [email protected]: missed field_width reset in vsscanf()
o Ignore generated files in lib/
o Remove old kernel version test that didn't even compile

Mikael Pettersson <[email protected]>:
o Fix AGP module oops The stack trace shows that we should be in
agp_find_max() as called from agp_backend_initialize(). However,
agp_find_max() is __init and its code has already been removed at
this point (since agpgart and intel-agp are separate modules),
causing the kernel to execute random code and eventually oops.

Pam Delaney <[email protected]>:
o Fusion-MPT Update (2.03.01.01)

Pavel Machek <[email protected]>:
o Make swsuspend restore DS/ES segments properly
o amd756 and amd8111 sensors support

Randy Dunlap <[email protected]>:
o fix "deprecated" typos

Richard Henderson <[email protected]>:
o [FB] Fix minor typos wrt readq/writeq support on 64-bit targets
o [FB] First cut at updating tgafb to 2.5 fb api. A large scale
rewrite modeled off of skeletonfb.c.
o [FB] Use u32 instead of unsigned long for cfbimgblt bit ops
o [TGAFB] Minor bug fixes to obtain a working TGA console with the
new FB API.
o Cset exclude: [email protected]|ChangeSet|20021227230408|33498
o [TGAFB] Implement the fb_imageblit hook
o Trivial patch for param.h: make it const
o Trivial patch for module.c: Strtab by sh_link field

Robert Love <[email protected]>:
o deprecated function attribute
o __deprecated requires gcc 3.1

Rusty Russell <[email protected]>:
o Modules without init functions don't need exit functions
o Embed __this_module in module itself
o Fix MODULE_PARM for arrays of s
o Minor compile fix for some modules
o more module parameter parsing bugs
o MODULE_PARM "c" support
o Modules 1/3: remove common section handling
o Modules 2/3: Use sh_addr instead of sh_offset
o Modules 3/3: Sort sections

Sam Ravnborg <[email protected]>:
o kbuild: More src/objtree fixes
o kbuild: $(build) and $(clean) macros for make invocation
o kbuild: Move archhelp to arch/$(ARCH)/Makefile
o kbuild/arm: archhelp and $(build)
o kbuild/sparc64: archhelp and $(build)
o kbuild/x86_64: archhelp, $(build) usage and cleaning
o Spurious recompile with defconfig

Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]>:
o eliminate __kernel_..._t32 from s390x

Tomas Szepe <[email protected]>:
o fix up UP-APIC compile
o i810: get rid of a forgotten Rules.make include

Vojtech Pavlik <[email protected]>:
o USB Joypad quirk
o Workaround (ide-timing.h) for many ATAPI CD/DVD-ROMs and burners

William Stinson <[email protected]>:
o mark check_region "deprecated"

2003-01-02 04:30:57

by William Lee Irwin III

Subject: Re: Linux v2.5.54

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 07:43:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Rusty Russell <[email protected]>:
> o Modules without init functions don't need exit functions
> o Embed __this_module in module itself
> o Fix MODULE_PARM for arrays of s
> o Minor compile fix for some modules
> o more module parameter parsing bugs
> o MODULE_PARM "c" support
> o Modules 1/3: remove common section handling
> o Modules 2/3: Use sh_addr instead of sh_offset
> o Modules 3/3: Sort sections

Hmm, I got this oops in 2.5.53-mm3:

eth2: Adaptec Starfire 6915 at 0xf8a55000, 00:00:d1:ec:cf:9f, IRQ 11.
eth2: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.
eth2: scatter-gather and hardware TCP cksumming disabled.
eth3: Adaptec Starfire 6915 at 0xf8ad6000, 00:00:d1:ec:cf:a0, IRQ 7.
eth3: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.
eth3: scatter-gather and hardware TCP cksumming disabled.
ERROR: SCSI host `isp1020' has no error handling
ERROR: This is not a safe way to run your SCSI host
ERROR: The error handling must be added to this driver
Call Trace:
[<c02364a9>] <1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
printing eip:
c0137ca3
*pde = 00104001
Oops: 0002
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c0137ca3>] Not tainted
EFLAGS: 00010206
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
printing eip:
c0137ca3
*pde = 00104001

$ addr2line -e vmlinux 0xc0137ca3
/mnt/g/mm3-2.5.53-2/kernel/kallsyms.c:60
$ addr2line -e vmlinux 0xc02364a9
/mnt/g/mm3-2.5.53-2/drivers/scsi/hosts.c:380

It doesn't look like these codepaths were touched in the recent 2.5.54
changes.

Thanks,
Bill

2003-01-02 04:44:22

by Murray J. Root

Subject: Re: Linux v2.5.54 - OHCI-HCD build fails

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 07:43:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Happy new year to you all, hopefully most of you are back from the dead
> and the hangovers are all long gone. And if not, I'm told reading a large
> kernel patch is _just_ the medication for whatever ails you.
>
> The 2.5.54 patch is largely mainly a big collection of various small
> things, all over the place (diffstat shows a long list of small changes,
> with some noticeable activity in UML, the MPT fusion driver and some of
> the fbcon drivers).
>
> Various module updates (deprecated functions, updated loaders etc), usb,
> m68k, x86-64 updates, kbuild stuff etc etc.

Build error:

In file included from drivers/usb/host/ohci-hcd.c:137:
drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c: In function `show_list':
drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c:358: `data1' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c:358: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c:358: for each function it appears in.)
drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c:358: `data0' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[3]: *** [drivers/usb/host/ohci-hcd.o] Error 1

--
Murray J. Root
DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

2003-01-02 04:51:49

by Murray J. Root

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 11:52:45PM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 07:43:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Happy new year to you all, hopefully most of you are back from the dead
> > and the hangovers are all long gone. And if not, I'm told reading a large
> > kernel patch is _just_ the medication for whatever ails you.
> >
> > The 2.5.54 patch is largely mainly a big collection of various small
> > things, all over the place (diffstat shows a long list of small changes,
> > with some noticeable activity in UML, the MPT fusion driver and some of
> > the fbcon drivers).
> >
> > Various module updates (deprecated functions, updated loaders etc), usb,
> > m68k, x86-64 updates, kbuild stuff etc etc.
>
> Build error:
>
> In file included from drivers/usb/host/ohci-hcd.c:137:
> drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c: In function `show_list':
> drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c:358: `data1' undeclared (first use in this function)
> drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c:358: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c:358: for each function it appears in.)
> drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c:358: `data0' undeclared (first use in this function)
> make[3]: *** [drivers/usb/host/ohci-hcd.o] Error 1

checking "USB verbose debug nessages" lets it build
not what I wanted, but better than no ohci-hcd

--
Murray J. Root
DISCLAIMER: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
Mandrake on irc.freenode.net:
#mandrake & #mandrake-linux = help for newbies
#mdk-cooker = Mandrake Cooker
#cooker = moderated Mandrake Cooker

2003-01-02 10:26:01

by SZALAY Attila

Hi All!

I have a linking problem with 2.5.54 (and 2.5.53 too)

drivers/built-in.o: In function `kd_nosound':
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x37923): undefined reference to nput_event'
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x3793c): undefined reference to nput_event'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `kd_mksound':
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x379e7): undefined reference to nput_event'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_bh':
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x385a2): undefined reference to nput_event'
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x385b0): undefined reference to nput_event'
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x385c1): more undefined references to nput_event' follow
drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_connect':
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x389e3): undefined reference to nput_open_device'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_disconnect':
drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x389ff): undefined reference to nput_close_device'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_init':
drivers/built-in.o(.init.text+0x2ae1): undefined reference to nput_register_handler'
make[1]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

The .config file:

CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_MMU=y
CONFIG_SWAP=y
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
CONFIG_OBSOLETE_MODPARM=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_X86_PC=y
CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_X86_PREFETCH=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE=m
CONFIG_X86_MSR=m
CONFIG_X86_CPUID=m
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR_PERF=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_PCMCIA=m
CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
CONFIG_I82365=m
CONFIG_KCORE_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_PNP_NAMES=y
CONFIG_PNP_CARD=y
CONFIG_PNPBIOS=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
CONFIG_SCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_PCMCIA_AHA152X=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_FDOMAIN=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_NINJA_SCSI=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_QLOGIC=m
CONFIG_I2O=m
CONFIG_I2O_PCI=m
CONFIG_I2O_BLOCK=m
CONFIG_I2O_LAN=m
CONFIG_I2O_SCSI=m
CONFIG_I2O_PROC=m
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_NET_KEY=m
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_INET_ECN=y
CONFIG_INET_AH=y
CONFIG_INET_ESP=y
CONFIG_XFRM_USER=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_AH_ESP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=y
CONFIG_IPV6=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_IPTABLES=y
CONFIG_IPV6_SCTP__=y
CONFIG_IP_SCTP=m
CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
CONFIG_SIS900=m
CONFIG_PPP=m
CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m
CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
CONFIG_HERMES=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_NETWAVE=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_WAVELAN=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES=m
CONFIG_AIRO_CS=m
CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS=y
CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C589=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C574=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_FMVJ18X=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_PCNET=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_NMCLAN=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_SMC91C92=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_XIRC2PS=m
CONFIG_PCMCIA_AXNET=m
CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA_RADIO=y
CONFIG_PCMCIA_RAYCS=m
CONFIG_IRDA=m
CONFIG_IRLAN=m
CONFIG_IRCOMM=m
CONFIG_IRDA_ULTRA=y
CONFIG_IRDA_CACHE_LAST_LSAP=y
CONFIG_IRDA_FAST_RR=y
CONFIG_IRTTY_SIR=m
CONFIG_DONGLE=y
CONFIG_ESI_DONGLE=m
CONFIG_ACTISYS_DONGLE=m
CONFIG_TEKRAM_DONGLE=m
CONFIG_IRPORT_SIR=m
CONFIG_NSC_FIR=m
CONFIG_WINBOND_FIR=m
CONFIG_TOSHIBA_FIR=m
CONFIG_SMC_IRCC_FIR=m
CONFIG_ALI_FIR=m
CONFIG_VLSI_FIR=m
CONFIG_INPUT=m
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=m
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=m
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=m
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CS=m
CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE=m
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
CONFIG_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_I2C=m
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT=m
CONFIG_I2C_PHILIPSPAR=m
CONFIG_I2C_ELV=m
CONFIG_I2C_VELLEMAN=m
CONFIG_SCx200_ACB=m
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOPCF=m
CONFIG_I2C_ELEKTOR=m
CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV=m
CONFIG_I2C_PROC=m
CONFIG_SENSORS_ADM1021=m
CONFIG_SENSORS_LM75=m
CONFIG_RTC=y
CONFIG_AGP=m
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=m
CONFIG_SYNCLINK_CS=m
CONFIG_MWAVE=m
CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
CONFIG_TMPFS=y
CONFIG_RAMFS=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_ZISOFS=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_NFS_V4=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=m
CONFIG_LOCKD=m
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
CONFIG_CIFS=m
CONFIG_ZISOFS_FS=m
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="iso8859-1"
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=m
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=m
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_852=m
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_1250=m
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=m
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_2=m
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15=m
CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=m
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_TRIDENT=m
CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_USB_MIDI=m
CONFIG_USB_ACM=m
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DATAFAB=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_FREECOM=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_ISD200=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DPCM=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_HP8200e=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=m
CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y
CONFIG_USB_KBD=m
CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=m
CONFIG_USB_AIPTEK=m
CONFIG_USB_WACOM=m
CONFIG_USB_POWERMATE=m
CONFIG_USB_XPAD=m
CONFIG_USB_MDC800=m
CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m
CONFIG_USB_MICROTEK=m
CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI=m
CONFIG_USB_DABUSB=m
CONFIG_USB_CATC=m
CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER=m
CONFIG_USB_KAWETH=m
CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=m
CONFIG_USB_RTL8150=m
CONFIG_USB_USBNET=m
CONFIG_USB_USS720=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_BELKIN=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_WHITEHEAT=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_DIGI_ACCELEPORT=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_EMPEG=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_VISOR=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_IPAQ=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_IR=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_EDGEPORT=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_PDA=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA28=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA28X=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA28XA=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA28XB=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA19=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA18X=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA19W=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA19QW=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA19QI=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_USA49W=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KLSI=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KOBIL_SCT=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_MCT_U232=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_PL2303=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_SAFE=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_SAFE_PADDED=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_CYBERJACK=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_XIRCOM=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OMNINET=m
CONFIG_USB_EZUSB=y
CONFIG_USB_EMI26=m
CONFIG_USB_TIGL=m
CONFIG_USB_AUERSWALD=m
CONFIG_USB_RIO500=m
CONFIG_USB_BRLVGER=m
CONFIG_USB_LCD=m
CONFIG_BT=m
CONFIG_BT_L2CAP=m
CONFIG_BT_SCO=m
CONFIG_BT_RFCOMM=m
CONFIG_BT_BNEP=m
CONFIG_BT_BNEP_MC_FILTER=y
CONFIG_BT_BNEP_PROTO_FILTER=y
CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB=m
CONFIG_X86_EXTRA_IRQS=y
CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
CONFIG_X86_MPPARSE=y
CONFIG_SECURITY=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_HMAC=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_NULL=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD5=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA256=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_DES=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLOWFISH=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_TWOFISH=m
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SERPENT=m
CONFIG_CRC32=m
CONFIG_ZLIB_INFLATE=m
CONFIG_ZLIB_DEFLATE=m
CONFIG_X86_BIOS_REBOOT=y

gcc: 2.95.4
ld: 2.12.90.0.1 20020307 Debian/GNU Linux

--
PGP ID 0x8D143771, /C5 95 43 F8 6F 19 E8 29 53 5E 96 61 05 63 42 D0
GPG ID ABA0E8B2, 45CF B559 8281 8091 8469 CACD DB71 AEFC ABA0 E8B2

I refused to attend his funeral. But I wrote a very nice letter
explaining that I approved of it. -- Mark Twain

2003-01-02 10:42:21

by Rusty Russell

In message <[email protected]> you write:
> On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 07:43:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Rusty Russell <[email protected]>:
> > o Modules without init functions don't need exit functions
> > o Embed __this_module in module itself
> > o Fix MODULE_PARM for arrays of s
> > o Minor compile fix for some modules
> > o more module parameter parsing bugs
> > o MODULE_PARM "c" support
> > o Modules 1/3: remove common section handling
> > o Modules 2/3: Use sh_addr instead of sh_offset
> > o Modules 3/3: Sort sections
>
> Hmm, I got this oops in 2.5.53-mm3:
>
> eth2: Adaptec Starfire 6915 at 0xf8a55000, 00:00:d1:ec:cf:9f, IRQ 11.
> eth2: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.
> eth2: scatter-gather and hardware TCP cksumming disabled.
> eth3: Adaptec Starfire 6915 at 0xf8ad6000, 00:00:d1:ec:cf:a0, IRQ 7.
> eth3: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1.
> eth3: scatter-gather and hardware TCP cksumming disabled.
> ERROR: SCSI host `isp1020' has no error handling
> ERROR: This is not a safe way to run your SCSI host
> ERROR: The error handling must be added to this driver
> Call Trace:
> [<c02364a9>] <1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual
address 00000000

Hmm, Andi played with the kallsyms code. Unless this is in a module,
I don't think it can be me.

Andi?
Rusty.

by Andi Kleen

> Hmm, Andi played with the kallsyms code. Unless this is in a module,
> I don't think it can be me.
>
> Andi?

Yes it was me.

I already posted a patch to fix this.

-Andi

2003-01-02 11:05:13

by William Lee Irwin III

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:55:38AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Yes it was me.
> I already posted a patch to fix this.
> -Andi

Thanks Andi for cleaning it up, and Rusty, you're blameless. I was only
relying on you to point me in the proper direction for on-the-fly kernel
code editing etc. issues.

Thanks,
Bill

2003-01-02 14:33:47

by Paolo Ciarrocchi

inter -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=vm86 -DKBUILD_MODNAME=vm86 -c -o arch/i386/kernel/vm86.o arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c
arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c: In function `save_v86_state':
arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:119: structure has no member named `saved_fs'
arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:120: structure has no member named `saved_gs'
arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c: In function `do_sys_vm86':
arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:288: structure has no member named `saved_fs'
arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:289: structure has no member named `saved_gs'
make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/vm86.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Error 2

Any hint ?

Ciao,
Paolo

http://www.linuxmail.org/

Powered by Outblaze

2003-01-02 15:00:26

by Adrian Bunk

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 07:43:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Summary of changes from v2.5.53 to v2.5.54
> Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]>:
> o include <linux/vfs.h> only in files actually needing it

This change broke the compilation of fs/befs/linuxvfs.c:

<-- snip -->

gcc -Wp,-MD,fs/befs/.linuxvfs.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=k6 -Iinclude/asm-i386/mach-default -nostdinc
-iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=linuxvfs -DKBUILD_MODNAME=befs -c -o
fs/befs/linuxvfs.o fs/befs/linuxvfs.c
fs/befs/linuxvfs.c:15: linux/statfs.h: No such file or directory
fs/befs/linuxvfs.c: In function `befs_statfs':
fs/befs/linuxvfs.c:901: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
fs/befs/linuxvfs.c:902: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
fs/befs/linuxvfs.c:903: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[2]: *** [fs/befs/linuxvfs.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [fs/befs] Error 2
make: *** [fs] Error 2

<-- snip -->

I assume the following was intended?

--- linux-2.5.54/fs/befs/linuxvfs.c.old 2003-01-02 16:03:34.000000000 +0100
+++ linux-2.5.54/fs/befs/linuxvfs.c 2003-01-02 16:03:46.000000000 +0100
@@ -12,7 +12,7 @@
#include <linux/stat.h>
#include <linux/nls.h>
#include <linux/buffer_head.h>
-#include <linux/statfs.h>
+#include <linux/vfs.h>

#include "befs.h"
#include "btree.h"

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2003-01-02 15:05:07

by Christoph Hellwig

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 04:08:40PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> --- linux-2.5.54/fs/befs/linuxvfs.c.old 2003-01-02 16:03:34.000000000 +0100
> +++ linux-2.5.54/fs/befs/linuxvfs.c 2003-01-02 16:03:46.000000000 +0100
> @@ -12,7 +12,7 @@
> #include <linux/stat.h>
> #include <linux/nls.h>
> #include <linux/buffer_head.h>
> -#include <linux/statfs.h>
> +#include <linux/vfs.h>

Yes, that's the proper fix. Sorry for the breakage :P

2003-01-02 15:45:27

by Randy.Dunlap

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, SZALAY Attila wrote:

| I have a linking problem with 2.5.54 (and 2.5.53 too)
|
| drivers/built-in.o: In function `kd_nosound':
| drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x37923): undefined reference to nput_event'
| drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x3793c): undefined reference to nput_event'
| drivers/built-in.o: In function `kd_mksound':
| drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x379e7): undefined reference to nput_event'
| drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_bh':
| drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x385a2): undefined reference to nput_event'
| drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x385b0): undefined reference to nput_event'
| drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x385c1): more undefined references to nput_event' follow
| drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_connect':
| drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x389e3): undefined reference to nput_open_device'
| drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_disconnect':
| drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x389ff): undefined reference to nput_close_device'
| drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_init':
| drivers/built-in.o(.init.text+0x2ae1): undefined reference to nput_register_handler'
| make[1]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Yes, unfortunately this is a well-known problem.
See kernel.bugzilla.org # 126 and # 164.

You need to have CONFIG_INPUT=y, not =m.
Alternatively you could have CONFIG_VT=n if that
would work for you (not likely).

| CONFIG_INPUT=m
| CONFIG_VT=y
| CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y

HTH.
--
~Randy

2003-01-02 15:50:46

by Randy.Dunlap

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

| On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, SZALAY Attila wrote:
|
| | I have a linking problem with 2.5.54 (and 2.5.53 too)
| |
| | drivers/built-in.o: In function `kd_nosound':
| | drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x37923): undefined reference to nput_event'
| | drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x3793c): undefined reference to nput_event'
| | drivers/built-in.o: In function `kd_mksound':
| | drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x379e7): undefined reference to nput_event'
| | drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_bh':
| | drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x385a2): undefined reference to nput_event'
| | drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x385b0): undefined reference to nput_event'
| | drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x385c1): more undefined references to nput_event' follow
| | drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_connect':
| | drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x389e3): undefined reference to nput_open_device'
| | drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_disconnect':
| | drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x389ff): undefined reference to nput_close_device'
| | drivers/built-in.o: In function `kbd_init':
| | drivers/built-in.o(.init.text+0x2ae1): undefined reference to nput_register_handler'
| | make[1]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
|
| Yes, unfortunately this is a well-known problem.
| See kernel.bugzilla.org # 126 and # 164.

Sorry, make that bugzilla.kernel.org (and go get coffee).

--
~Randy

2003-01-02 17:09:48

by Adrian Bunk

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 07:43:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Summary of changes from v2.5.53 to v2.5.54
> Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>:
> o PnP update

FYI:

This change broke the compilation of drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:

<-- snip -->

gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/ide/.ide-pnp.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=k6
-Iinclude/asm-i386/mach-default -nostdinc -iwithprefix include
-DKBUILD_BASENAME=ide_pnp -DKBUILD_MODNAME=ide_pnp -c -o
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.o drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c: In function `pnpide_init':
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:117: structure has no member named `deactivate'
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:118: structure has no member named `deactivate'
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:124: warning: implicit declaration of function `isapnp_find_dev'
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:125: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:127: structure has no member named `active'
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:130: structure has no member named `prepare'
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:130: structure has no member named `prepare'
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:135: structure has no member named `activate'
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:135: structure has no member named `activate'
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:142: structure has no member named `deactivate'
drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:143: structure has no member named `deactivate'
make[2]: *** [drivers/ide/ide-pnp.o] Error 1

<-- snip -->

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2003-01-02 17:24:10

by Jaroslav Kysela

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 07:43:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > Summary of changes from v2.5.53 to v2.5.54
> > Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>:
> > o PnP update
>
> FYI:
>
> This change broke the compilation of drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:

Yes, this code was not functional (although compilable). I've noted this
situation in my patch comment. We have to upgrade all old ISA PnP code to
the new PnP layer. It's better to fail with an error than silently ignore
this situation (this will force more developers to update their parts).

I'll update our ALSA code ASAP.

Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs

2003-01-02 17:41:27

by Rudmer van Dijk

On Thursday 02 January 2003 04:43, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Happy new year to you all, hopefully most of you are back from the dead
> and the hangovers are all long gone. And if not, I'm told reading a large
> kernel patch is _just_ the medication for whatever ails you.
>
> The 2.5.54 patch is largely mainly a big collection of various small
> things, all over the place (diffstat shows a long list of small changes,
> with some noticeable activity in UML, the MPT fusion driver and some of
> the fbcon drivers).
>
> Various module updates (deprecated functions, updated loaders etc), usb,
> m68k, x86-64 updates, kbuild stuff etc etc.
<snip>
> Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>:
> o PnP update

this broke the ne driver:

gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/net/.ne.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -Iinclude/asm-i386/mach-default
-fomit-frame-pointer -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ne
-DKBUILD_MODNAME=ne -c -o drivers/net/ne.o drivers/net/ne.c
drivers/net/ne.c: In function `ne_probe_isapnp':
drivers/net/ne.c:201: warning: implicit declaration of function
`isapnp_find_dev'
drivers/net/ne.c:204: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without
a cast
drivers/net/ne.c:206: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/net/ne.c:208: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/net/ne.c:211: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/net/ne.c:214: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
drivers/net/ne.c:215: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[2]: *** [drivers/net/ne.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

CONFIG_PNP is not set

with drivers/pcmcia/i82365.c as an example I could get this to build (see
patch below), as noted in Documentation/pnp.txt this is not the correct fix,
but it works for now.

with patch below, kernel builds, boots and it servives a simple stresstest
(the bandwidth program in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104151288832193&w=2)

Rudmer

--- linux-2.5.54/drivers/net/ne.c.orig 2003-01-02 14:36:14.000000000 +0100
+++ linux-2.5.54/drivers/net/ne.c 2003-01-02 16:01:33.000000000 +0100
@@ -193,32 +193,29 @@

static int __init ne_probe_isapnp(struct net_device *dev)
{
- int i;
-
- for (i = 0; isapnp_clone_list[i].vendor != 0; i++) {
- struct pci_dev *idev = NULL;
+ struct isapnp_device_id *devid;
+ struct pnp_dev *idev;

- while ((idev = isapnp_find_dev(NULL,
- isapnp_clone_list[i].vendor,
- isapnp_clone_list[i].function,
- idev))) {
- /* Avoid already found cards from previous calls */
- if (idev->prepare(idev))
- continue;
- if (idev->activate(idev))
- continue;
- /* if no irq, search for next */
- if (idev->irq_resource[0].start == 0)
+ for (devid = isapnp_clone_list; devid->vendor; devid++) {
+ while ((idev = pnp_find_dev(NULL, devid->vendor,
+ devid->function, idev))) {
+ if (pnp_activate_dev(idev, NULL) < 0) {
+ printk("ne.c: PNP prepare failed\n");
+ break;
+ }
+ /* if no irq, search for next */
+ if (pnp_irq(idev, 0) == 0)
continue;
/* found it */
- dev->base_addr = idev->resource[0].start;
- dev->irq = idev->irq_resource[0].start;
- printk(KERN_INFO "ne.c: ISAPnP reports %s at i/o %#lx, irq %d.\n",
- (char *) isapnp_clone_list[i].driver_data,
-
+ dev->base_addr = pnp_port_start(idev, 0);
+ dev->irq = pnp_irq(idev, 0);
+ printk(KERN_INFO "ne.c: PNP reports %s at i/o %#lx, irq %d.\n",
+ (char *) devid->driver_data,
dev->base_addr, dev->irq);
+
if (ne_probe1(dev, dev->base_addr) != 0) { /* Shouldn't happen. */
- printk(KERN_ERR "ne.c: Probe of ISAPnP card at %#lx failed.\n",
dev->base_addr);
+ printk(KERN_ERR "ne.c: Probe of ISAPnP card at %#lx failed.\n",
+ dev->base_addr);
return -ENXIO;
}
ei_status.priv = (unsigned long)idev;
@@ -783,9 +780,9 @@
struct net_device *dev = &dev_ne[this_dev];
if (dev->priv != NULL) {
void *priv = dev->priv;
- struct pci_dev *idev = (struct pci_dev *)ei_status.priv;
+ struct pnp_dev *idev = (struct pnp_dev *)ei_status.priv;
if (idev)
- idev->deactivate(idev);
+ pnp_disable_dev(idev);
free_irq(dev->irq, dev);
release_region(dev->base_addr, NE_IO_EXTENT);
unregister_netdev(dev);

2003-01-02 18:19:17

by Adam Belay

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 06:31:08PM +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 07:43:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > > Summary of changes from v2.5.53 to v2.5.54
> > > ============================================
> > > Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>:
> > > o PnP update
> >
> > FYI:
> >
> > This change broke the compilation of drivers/ide/ide-pnp.c:
>
> Yes, this code was not functional (although compilable). I've noted this
> situation in my patch comment. We have to upgrade all old ISA PnP code to
> the new PnP layer. It's better to fail with an error than silently ignore
> this situation (this will force more developers to update their parts).
>
> I'll update our ALSA code ASAP.
>
> Jaroslav

Zwane has released a patch to convert pnp-ide to the new APIs. I'll send
it out soon but there are pnp ide problems, found in both 2.4 and 2.5, that
need to be resolved. I believe a fix for them will also be out soon. If
anyone has questions about converting drivers feel free to contact me.

Adam

2003-01-02 23:40:43

by Udo A. Steinberg

Subject: [OOPS] Linux v2.5.54 Riva Framebuffer

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 19:43:40 -0800 (PST) Linus Torvalds (LT) wrote:

LT> Happy new year to you all [...]

Happy new year to you, too.

LT> Summary of changes from v2.5.53 to v2.5.54
LT> James Simmons <[email protected]>:
LT> o Updates to the NVIDIA driver. We now support more cards. I still
LT> have more hacking to do
LT> o Voodoo 1 ported to new api. STI and NVIDIA updates. MDA console
LT> fixes. Moved the logo code from fbcon to fbdev

With Linux 2.5.54 I'm getting an oops in the riva framebuffer driver that didn't
occur with Linux 2.5.53. It seems to be related to aforementioned changes. Trace
copied by hand because I have no serial console.

EIP is at fb_copy_cmap + 0x7f/0x140

Trace:

hide_cursor + 0x75/0x90
get_default_font + 0x209/0x2a0
updatescrollmode + 0x4f3/0x770
rivafb_set_par + 0x88/0xe0
fbcon_bmove_rec + 0x132/0x1f0
set_origin + 0x11d/0x190
clear_buffer_attributes + 0x1aa/0x1d0
put_driver + 0x2f/0x40
do_pre_smp_initcalls + 0x3a/0x160
do_pre_smp_initcalls + 0x0/0x160
show_regs + 0x5/0x18

The card in question is a Geforce 2 GTS.

If more info is required to help solving this problem, let me know.
Please CC: me on any discussion on fbdev-list; I'm only subscribed to lkml.

Regards,
-Udo.

Attachments:
(No filename) (189.00 B)

2003-01-03 09:24:23

by SZALAY Attila

Hi!

On 2003 Jan 02, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> Yes, unfortunately this is a well-known problem.
> See kernel.bugzilla.org # 126 and # 164.
>
> You need to have CONFIG_INPUT=y, not =m.

Thank you, it's work.

But I have another problem.

drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:28: #error Please convert me to Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:119: parse error before `struct'
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c: In function 2o_lan_receive_post_reply':
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:385: `run_i2o_post_buckets_task' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:385: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:385: for each function it appears in.)
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c: In function 2o_lan_register_device':
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1406: structure has no member named `list'
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1406: structure has no member named `list'
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1406: structure has no member named `list'
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1406: structure has no member named `list'
drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1407: structure has no member named `sync'
make[4]: *** [drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [drivers/message/i2o] Error 2
make[2]: *** [drivers/message] Error 2
make[1]: *** [drivers] Error 2

--
PGP ID 0x8D143771, /C5 95 43 F8 6F 19 E8 29 53 5E 96 61 05 63 42 D0
GPG ID ABA0E8B2, 45CF B559 8281 8091 8469 CACD DB71 AEFC ABA0 E8B2

Szeretem a Zsanit - SaSa

2003-01-03 10:56:33

by SZALAY Attila

Now I unset I2O completely to try compile new kernel.

But I have another problem.

make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=drivers/scsi/pcmcia
gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/scsi/pcmcia/.aha152x_stub.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -Iinclude/asm-i386/mach-default -fomit-frame-pointer -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DMODULE -DKBUILD_BASENAME=aha152x_stub -DKBUILD_MODNAME=aha152x_cs -c -o drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x_stub.o drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x_stub.c
make[4]: *** No rule to make target `drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x.s', needed by `drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x.o'. Stop.

--
PGP ID 0x8D143771, /C5 95 43 F8 6F 19 E8 29 53 5E 96 61 05 63 42 D0
GPG ID ABA0E8B2, 45CF B559 8281 8091 8469 CACD DB71 AEFC ABA0 E8B2

An exaggeration is a thruth that has lost its temper -- Kahlil Gibran

2003-01-03 11:27:59

by Alan

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 11:04, SZALAY Attila wrote:
> Now I unset I2O completely to try compile new kernel.
>
> But I have another problem.
>
> make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=drivers/scsi/pcmcia
> gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/scsi/pcmcia/.aha152x_stub.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -Iinclude/asm-i386/mach-default -fomit-frame-pointer -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DMODULE -DKBUILD_BASENAME=aha152x_stub -DKBUILD_MODNAME=aha152x_cs -c -o drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x_stub.o drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x_stub.c
> make[4]: *** No rule to make target `drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x.s', needed by `drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x.o'. Stop.

The pcmcia scsi makefiles are broken. Its been reported repeatedly to
the folks who broke the makefiles but nobody has fixed it. I have a hack
for this but its versus 2.5.49/2.5.50

Alan

2003-01-03 12:36:31

by Christoph Hellwig

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 12:19:08PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> The pcmcia scsi makefiles are broken. Its been reported repeatedly to
> the folks who broke the makefiles but nobody has fixed it. I have a hack
> for this but its versus 2.5.49/2.5.50

How about merging a proper fix instead of whining? :)

--- 1.6/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/Makefile Sat Dec 14 13:38:56 2002
+++ edited/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/Makefile Fri Jan 3 13:37:48 2003
@@ -1,17 +1,5 @@
-#
-# Makefile for the Linux PCMCIA SCSI drivers.
-#

-obj-y :=
-obj-m :=
-obj-n :=
-obj- :=
-
-vpath %c ..
-
-CFLAGS_aha152x.o = -DPCMCIA -D__NO_VERSION__ -DAHA152X_STAT
-CFLAGS_fdomain.o = -DPCMCIA -D__NO_VERSION__
-CFLAGS_qlogicfas.o = -DPCMCIA -D__NO_VERSION__
+EXTRA_CFLAGS += -Idrivers/scsi

# 16-bit client drivers
obj-$(CONFIG_PCMCIA_QLOGIC) += qlogic_cs.o
@@ -19,6 +7,6 @@
obj-$(CONFIG_PCMCIA_AHA152X) += aha152x_cs.o
obj-$(CONFIG_PCMCIA_NINJA_SCSI) += nsp_cs.o

-aha152x_cs-objs := aha152x_stub.o aha152x.o
-fdomain_cs-objs := fdomain_stub.o fdomain.o
-qlogic_cs-objs := qlogic_stub.o qlogicfas.o
+aha152x_cs-objs := aha152x_stub.o aha152x_core.o
+fdomain_cs-objs := fdomain_stub.o fdomain_core.o
+qlogic_cs-objs := qlogic_stub.o qlogic_core.o
--- 1.7/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x_stub.c Fri Nov 22 18:59:03 2002
+++ edited/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x_stub.c Fri Jan 3 13:17:04 2003
@@ -45,11 +45,10 @@
#include <scsi/scsi.h>
#include <linux/major.h>
#include <linux/blk.h>
-
-#include <../drivers/scsi/scsi.h>
-#include <../drivers/scsi/hosts.h>
#include <scsi/scsi_ioctl.h>
-#include <../drivers/scsi/aha152x.h>
+
+#include "scsi.h"
+#include "hosts.h"

#include <pcmcia/version.h>
#include <pcmcia/cs_types.h>
@@ -112,7 +111,8 @@
static dev_link_t *aha152x_attach(void);
static void aha152x_detach(dev_link_t *);

-static Scsi_Host_Template driver_template = AHA152X;
+#define driver_template aha152x_driver_template
+extern Scsi_Host_Template aha152x_driver_template;

static dev_link_t *dev_list = NULL;

--- 1.7/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/fdomain_stub.c Sun Dec 1 22:18:28 2002
+++ edited/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/fdomain_stub.c Fri Jan 3 13:17:04 2003
@@ -42,11 +42,10 @@
#include <scsi/scsi.h>
#include <linux/major.h>
#include <linux/blk.h>
-
-#include <../drivers/scsi/scsi.h>
-#include <../drivers/scsi/hosts.h>
#include <scsi/scsi_ioctl.h>
-#include <../drivers/scsi/fdomain.h>
+
+#include "scsi.h"
+#include "hosts.h"

#include <pcmcia/version.h>
#include <pcmcia/cs_types.h>
--- 1.14/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/nsp_cs.c Fri Nov 22 18:59:03 2002
+++ edited/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/nsp_cs.c Fri Jan 3 13:17:04 2003
@@ -50,8 +50,8 @@
#include <asm/io.h>
#include <asm/irq.h>

-#include <../drivers/scsi/scsi.h>
-#include <../drivers/scsi/hosts.h>
+#include "scsi.h"
+#include "hosts.h"

#include <scsi/scsi.h>
#include <scsi/scsi_ioctl.h>
--- 1.6/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/nsp_cs.h Tue Nov 5 18:12:44 2002
+++ edited/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/nsp_cs.h Fri Jan 3 13:17:04 2003
@@ -15,6 +15,8 @@
#ifndef __nsp_cs__
#define __nsp_cs__

+#include <linux/version.h>
+
/* for debugging */
//#define PCMCIA_DEBUG 9

--- 1.7/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/qlogic_stub.c Sun Dec 1 22:45:56 2002
+++ edited/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/qlogic_stub.c Fri Jan 3 13:17:04 2003
@@ -43,12 +43,10 @@
#include <scsi/scsi.h>
#include <linux/major.h>
#include <linux/blk.h>
-
-#include <../drivers/scsi/scsi.h>
-#include <../drivers/scsi/hosts.h>
#include <scsi/scsi_ioctl.h>

-#include <../drivers/scsi/qlogicfas.h>
+#include "scsi.h"
+#include "hosts.h"

#include <pcmcia/version.h>
#include <pcmcia/cs_types.h>
--- /dev/null Sat Mar 23 20:46:34 2002
+++ b/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x_core.c Fri Jan 3 13:36:43 2003
@@ -0,0 +1,3 @@
+#define PCMCIA 1
+#define AHA152X_STAT 1
+#include "aha152x.c"
--- /dev/null Sat Mar 23 20:46:34 2002
+++ b/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/fdomain_core.c Fri Jan 3 13:35:40 2003
@@ -0,0 +1,2 @@
+#define PCMCIA 1
+#include "fdomain.c"
--- /dev/null Sat Mar 23 20:46:34 2002
+++ b/drivers/scsi/pcmcia/qlogic_core.c Fri Jan 3 13:38:21 2003
@@ -0,0 +1,2 @@
+#define PCMCIA 1
+#include "qlogicfas.c"

2003-01-03 16:08:08

by Randy.Dunlap

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, SZALAY Attila wrote:

| Hi!
|
| On 2003 Jan 02, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
| >
| > Yes, unfortunately this is a well-known problem.
| > See kernel.bugzilla.org # 126 and # 164.
| >
| > You need to have CONFIG_INPUT=y, not =m.
|
| Thank you, it's work.
|
| But I have another problem.
|
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:28: #error Please convert me to Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:119: parse error before `struct'
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c: In function 2o_lan_receive_post_reply':
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:385: `run_i2o_post_buckets_task' undeclared (first use in this function)
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:385: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:385: for each function it appears in.)
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c: In function 2o_lan_register_device':
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1406: structure has no member named `list'
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1406: structure has no member named `list'
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1406: structure has no member named `list'
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1406: structure has no member named `list'
| drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.c:1407: structure has no member named `sync'
| make[4]: *** [drivers/message/i2o/i2o_lan.o] Error 1
| make[3]: *** [drivers/message/i2o] Error 2
| make[2]: *** [drivers/message] Error 2
| make[1]: *** [drivers] Error 2

Yes, another known problem:
http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198

Do you have an I2O LAN device?
If so, what product is it?

Alan Cox has said that this isn't likely to get fixed because there are
either few or none of these devices. I worked on one at Intel, but it
was never released as an I2O device, just using native proprietary
firmware. Using I2O, it was dog slow.

--
~Randy

2003-01-04 10:11:59

by Kasper Dupont

Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:

> inter -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=vm86 -DKBUILD_MODNAME=vm86 -c -o arch/i386/kernel/vm86.o arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c
> arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c: In function `save_v86_state':
> arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:119: structure has no member named `saved_fs'
> arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:120: structure has no member named `saved_gs'
> arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c: In function `do_sys_vm86':
> arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:288: structure has no member named `saved_fs'
> arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:289: structure has no member named `saved_gs'
> make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/vm86.o] Error 1
> make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Error 2

Doesn't happen to me. Maybe I can reproduce it if I get a copy of
your .config file. And BTW, which gcc version are you using?

For sending spam use mailto:[email protected]
for(_=52;_;(_%5)||(_/=5),(_%5)&&(_-=2))putchar(_);

2003-01-04 11:39:03

by Paolo Ciarrocchi

From: Kasper Dupont <[email protected]>
[...]
> > arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:289: structure has no member named `saved_gs'
> > make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/vm86.o] Error 1
> > make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Error 2
>
> Doesn't happen to me. Maybe I can reproduce it if I get a copy of
> your .config file. And BTW, which gcc version are you using?

[root@frodo linux-2.5.53]# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-1mdk)

And here it goes my .config.

#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
#
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_MMU=y
CONFIG_SWAP=y
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y

#
# Code maturity level options
#
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y

#
# General setup
#
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y

#
# Loadable module support
#
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
# CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD is not set
CONFIG_OBSOLETE_MODPARM=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y

#
# Processor type and features
#
CONFIG_X86_PC=y
# CONFIG_X86_VOYAGER is not set
# CONFIG_X86_NUMAQ is not set
# CONFIG_X86_SUMMIT is not set
# CONFIG_M386 is not set
# CONFIG_M486 is not set
# CONFIG_M586 is not set
# CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
# CONFIG_M586MMX is not set
# CONFIG_M686 is not set
CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y
# CONFIG_MPENTIUM4 is not set
# CONFIG_MK6 is not set
# CONFIG_MK7 is not set
# CONFIG_MK8 is not set
# CONFIG_MELAN is not set
# CONFIG_MCRUSOE is not set
# CONFIG_MWINCHIPC6 is not set
# CONFIG_MWINCHIP2 is not set
# CONFIG_MWINCHIP3D is not set
# CONFIG_MCYRIXIII is not set
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_X86_PREFETCH=y
CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE=y
# CONFIG_SMP is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
# CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y
# CONFIG_TOSHIBA is not set
# CONFIG_I8K is not set
CONFIG_MICROCODE=y
# CONFIG_X86_MSR is not set
# CONFIG_X86_CPUID is not set
# CONFIG_EDD is not set
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
# CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y

#
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND is not set

#
# ACPI Support
#
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ is not set

#
# Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)
#
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOBIOS=y
# CONFIG_PCI_GODIRECT is not set
# CONFIG_PCI_GOANY is not set
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
# CONFIG_SCx200 is not set
CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
CONFIG_ISA=y
CONFIG_EISA=y
# CONFIG_MCA is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y

#
# PCMCIA/CardBus support
#
# CONFIG_PCMCIA is not set

#
# PCI Hotplug Support
#
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI is not set

#
# Executable file formats
#
CONFIG_KCORE_ELF=y
# CONFIG_KCORE_AOUT is not set
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=m
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=m

#
# Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
#
# CONFIG_MTD is not set

#
# Parallel port support
#
# CONFIG_PARPORT is not set

#
# Plug and Play support
#
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_PNP_NAMES=y
# CONFIG_PNP_CARD is not set
# CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG is not set

#
# Protocols
#
CONFIG_PNPBIOS=y

#
# Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_XD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_DA is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UMEM is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NBD is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
CONFIG_LBD=y

#
# ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL device support
#
CONFIG_IDE=y

#
# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

#
# Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL=y

#
# IDE chipset support/bugfixes
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_TCQ is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CY82C693 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5520 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SC1200 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NFORCE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NS87415 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_OLD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_NEW is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SVWKS is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SLC90E66 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRM290 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y

#
# SCSI device support
#
# CONFIG_SCSI is not set

#
# Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)
#
# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set

#
# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
#
# CONFIG_MD is not set

#
# Fusion MPT device support
#

#
# IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support (EXPERIMENTAL)
#
# CONFIG_IEEE1394 is not set

#
# I2O device support
#
# CONFIG_I2O is not set

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
# CONFIG_NETFILTER is not set
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
# CONFIG_NET_KEY is not set
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
# CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_TOS is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_VERBOSE is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_LARGE_TABLES is not set
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPGRE is not set
# CONFIG_IP_MROUTE is not set
# CONFIG_ARPD is not set
CONFIG_INET_ECN=y
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
# CONFIG_INET_AH is not set
# CONFIG_INET_ESP is not set
# CONFIG_XFRM_USER is not set
# CONFIG_IPV6 is not set

#
# SCTP Configuration (EXPERIMENTAL)
#
CONFIG_IPV6_SCTP__=y
# CONFIG_IP_SCTP is not set
# CONFIG_ATM is not set
# CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q is not set
# CONFIG_LLC is not set
# CONFIG_DECNET is not set
# CONFIG_BRIDGE is not set
# CONFIG_X25 is not set
# CONFIG_LAPB is not set
# CONFIG_NET_DIVERT is not set
# CONFIG_ECONET is not set
# CONFIG_WAN_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_NET_FASTROUTE is not set
# CONFIG_NET_HW_FLOWCONTROL is not set

#
# QoS and/or fair queueing
#
# CONFIG_NET_SCHED is not set

#
# Network testing
#
# CONFIG_NET_PKTGEN is not set

#
# Network device support
#
# CONFIG_NETDEVICES is not set

#
# Amateur Radio support
#
# CONFIG_HAMRADIO is not set

#
# IrDA (infrared) support
#
# CONFIG_IRDA is not set

#
# ISDN subsystem
#
# CONFIG_ISDN_BOOL is not set

#
# Telephony Support
#
# CONFIG_PHONE is not set

#
# Input device support
#
CONFIG_INPUT=y

#
# Userland interfaces
#
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TSDEV is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVBUG is not set

#
# Input I/O drivers
#
# CONFIG_GAMEPORT is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO_CT82C710=y

#
# Input Device Drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD=y
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
# CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_INPORT is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_LOGIBM is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_PC110PAD is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y
CONFIG_INPUT_UINPUT=y

#
# Character devices
#
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set

#
# Serial drivers
#
# CONFIG_SERIAL_8250 is not set

#
# Non-8250 serial port support
#
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256

#
# I2C support
#
# CONFIG_I2C is not set

#
# Mice
#
CONFIG_BUSMOUSE=y
# CONFIG_QIC02_TAPE is not set

#
# Watchdog Cards
#
# CONFIG_WATCHDOG is not set
# CONFIG_INTEL_RNG is not set
# CONFIG_AMD_RNG is not set
# CONFIG_NVRAM is not set
# CONFIG_RTC is not set
# CONFIG_GEN_RTC is not set
# CONFIG_DTLK is not set
# CONFIG_R3964 is not set
# CONFIG_APPLICOM is not set
# CONFIG_SONYPI is not set

#
# Ftape, the floppy tape device driver
#
# CONFIG_FTAPE is not set
CONFIG_AGP=y
# CONFIG_AGP3 is not set
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151 is not set
CONFIG_DRM=y
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
CONFIG_DRM_R128=y
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
# CONFIG_DRM_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_MWAVE is not set
# CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER is not set

#
# Multimedia devices
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV is not set

#
# File systems
#
# CONFIG_QUOTA is not set
# CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
# CONFIG_REISERFS_PROC_INFO is not set
# CONFIG_ADFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AFFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_BEFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_BFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS is not set
# CONFIG_JBD is not set
CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
# CONFIG_EFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_CRAMFS is not set
CONFIG_TMPFS=y
CONFIG_RAMFS=y
# CONFIG_HUGETLBFS is not set
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
# CONFIG_JOLIET is not set
# CONFIG_ZISOFS is not set
# CONFIG_JFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_MINIX_FS is not set
# CONFIG_VXFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
# CONFIG_HPFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
# CONFIG_QNX4FS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_ROMFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_SYSV_FS is not set
# CONFIG_UDF_FS is not set
# CONFIG_UFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_XFS_FS is not set

#
# Network File Systems
#
# CONFIG_CODA_FS is not set
# CONFIG_INTERMEZZO_FS is not set
# CONFIG_NFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_NFSD is not set
# CONFIG_EXPORTFS is not set
# CONFIG_CIFS is not set
# CONFIG_SMB_FS is not set
# CONFIG_NCP_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AFS_FS is not set

#
# Partition Types
#
CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y
# CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_OSF_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_AMIGA_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_ATARI_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION is not set
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
# CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL is not set
# CONFIG_MINIX_SUBPARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_UNIXWARE_DISKLABEL is not set
# CONFIG_LDM_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SGI_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_ULTRIX_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SUN_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION is not set
CONFIG_NLS=y

#
# Native Language Support
#
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="y"
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_737 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_775 is not set
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=y
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_852=y
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_855 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_857 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_860 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_861 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_862 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_863 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_864 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_865 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_866 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_869 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_936 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_950 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_932 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_949 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_874 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_8 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_1250 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_1251 is not set
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=y
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_2 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_3 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_4 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_5 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_6 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_7 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_9 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_13 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_14 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_KOI8_R is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_KOI8_U is not set
CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y

#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
# CONFIG_FB_CLGEN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_PCI_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
# CONFIG_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
# CONFIG_FONTS is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y

#
# Open Sound System
#
# CONFIG_SOUND_PRIME is not set

#
# Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
#
CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
# CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
# CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set

#
# Generic devices
#
CONFIG_SND_DUMMY=y
CONFIG_SND_VIRMIDI=y
CONFIG_SND_MTPAV=y
CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550=y
CONFIG_SND_MPU401=y

#
# ISA devices
#
# CONFIG_SND_AD1848 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4231 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4232 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4236 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES1688 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES18XX is not set
# CONFIG_SND_GUSCLASSIC is not set
# CONFIG_SND_GUSEXTREME is not set
# CONFIG_SND_GUSMAX is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTERWAVE is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTERWAVE_STB is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPTI92X_AD1848 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPTI92X_CS4231 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPTI93X is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SB8 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SB16 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SBAWE is not set
# CONFIG_SND_WAVEFRONT is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CMI8330 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPL3SA2 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SGALAXY is not set

#
# PCI devices
#
# CONFIG_SND_ALI5451 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS46XX is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4281 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_EMU10K1 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_KORG1212 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_NM256 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_RME32 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_RME96 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_RME9652 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDSP is not set
# CONFIG_SND_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ALS4000 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CMIPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ENS1370 is not set
CONFIG_SND_ENS1371=y
CONFIG_SND_ES1938=y
CONFIG_SND_ES1968=y
CONFIG_SND_MAESTRO3=y
# CONFIG_SND_FM801 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ICE1712 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX is not set

#
# USB support
#
# CONFIG_USB is not set

#
# Bluetooth support
#
# CONFIG_BT is not set

#
# Profiling support
#
# CONFIG_PROFILING is not set

#
# Kernel hacking
#
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_IOVIRT is not set
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK is not set
CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP is not set
# CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER is not set

#
# Security options
#
CONFIG_SECURITY=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y
# CONFIG_SECURITY_ROOTPLUG is not set

#
# Cryptographic options
#
# CONFIG_CRYPTO is not set

#
# Library routines
#
CONFIG_CRC32=m
CONFIG_X86_BIOS_REBOOT=y

Ciao,
Paolo

http://www.linuxmail.org/

Powered by Outblaze

2003-01-04 12:19:29

by Kasper Dupont

Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:

> From: Kasper Dupont <[email protected]>
> [...]
> > > arch/i386/kernel/vm86.c:289: structure has no member named `saved_gs'
> > > make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/vm86.o] Error 1
> > > make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Error 2
> >
> > Doesn't happen to me. Maybe I can reproduce it if I get a copy of
> > your .config file. And BTW, which gcc version are you using?
>
> [root@frodo linux-2.5.53]# gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2/specs
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-1mdk)

I'm using a different compiler version. That might be related to
the problem:

[kasperd:pts/0:/mnt/misc/kasperd/test/linux-2.5.54] gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110)
[kasperd:pts/0:/mnt/misc/kasperd/test/linux-2.5.54]

> And here it goes my .config.

The FB_I810 option was missing, but if I just set that one to no
I could compile without problems using your .config file.

How many versions do you have to go backwards to find a kernel
you can compile?

For sending spam use mailto:[email protected]
for(_=52;_;(_%5)||(_/=5),(_%5)&&(_-=2))putchar(_);

2003-01-04 13:58:22

by Paolo Ciarrocchi

From: Kasper Dupont <[email protected]>
> Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:
> >
> > From: Kasper Dupont <[email protected]>
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Doesn't happen to me. Maybe I can reproduce it if I get a copy of
> > > your .config file. And BTW, which gcc version are you using?
> >
> > [root@frodo linux-2.5.53]# gcc -v
> > Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2/specs
> > Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
> > Thread model: posix
> > gcc version 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-1mdk)
>
> I'm using a different compiler version. That might be related to
> the problem:
>
> [kasperd:pts/0:/mnt/misc/kasperd/test/linux-2.5.54] gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
> gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110)
> [kasperd:pts/0:/mnt/misc/kasperd/test/linux-2.5.54]
>

> > And here it goes my .config.
>
> The FB_I810 option was missing, but if I just set that one to no
> I could compile without problems using your .config file.
>
> How many versions do you have to go backwards to find a kernel
> you can compile?

Just one :-) 2.5.53 is happily running on my laptop.
I think I've compiled and booted all the kernel version
since 2.5.3something.

Ciao,
Paolo

http://www.linuxmail.org/

Powered by Outblaze

2003-01-04 14:10:44

by Kasper Dupont

Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:

> From: Kasper Dupont <[email protected]>
> >
> > How many versions do you have to go backwards to find a kernel
> > you can compile?
>
> Just one :-) 2.5.53 is happily running on my laptop.
> I think I've compiled and booted all the kernel version
> since 2.5.3something.

A closer look on the patch reveals that the lines causing
trouble for you are in fact new:
http://www.kernel.org/diff/diffview.cgi?css=%2Fdiff%2Fdiff.css;file=%2Fpub%2Flinux%2Fkernel%2Fv2.5%2Fpatch-2.5.54.gz;z=65
And so are the fields being manipulated:
http://www.kernel.org/diff/diffview.cgi?css=%2Fdiff%2Fdiff.css;file=%2Fpub%2Flinux%2Fkernel%2Fv2.5%2Fpatch-2.5.54.gz;z=862

Could the compiler somehow be using headers from the
wrong location? (Just a wild guess)

For sending spam use mailto:[email protected]
for(_=52;_;(_%5)||(_/=5),(_%5)&&(_-=2))putchar(_);

2003-01-04 17:02:05

by Paolo Ciarrocchi

From: Kasper Dupont <[email protected]>

[...]
> Could the compiler somehow be using headers from the
> wrong location? (Just a wild guess)

I'm sorry. Really.
But I reverted the whole patchset and then applied again:

patching file drivers/char/agp/frontend.c
patch: **** unexpected end of file in patch

I guess I somehow missed it the first time I applied it.

I'm dowloading again the patch...

There was a problem with the patch on kernel.org or is
_totaly_ my fault ? I guess the latter...

Ciao,
Paolo

http://www.linuxmail.org/

Powered by Outblaze

2003-01-04 18:06:38

by Paolo Ciarrocchi

From: Kasper Dupont <[email protected]>
[...]
> Could the compiler somehow be using headers from the
> wrong location? (Just a wild guess)
I somehow downloaded an incomplete pathset.
Reverted/downloaded the new one and compiled, everything is ok

Ciao,
Paolo

http://www.linuxmail.org/