Subject: Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-free drivers?

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <[email protected]> writes:

> software. For how much money MS has, what have they innovated?

Without Microsoft, there wouldn't be 2,4 GHz 32/64 bit microcomputers
with 512 megabytes of main memory, 120 gigabytes of hard disk space
and 1600x1200 pixels 32 bit resolution and 3d real time capability for
< $1000 on sale at your local discount store. Simply because there
wouldn't be a market for this.

Face it. Microsoft Software is, what made the breakthrough to really
put a powerful machine in every home and allow the 2-5% of the owner
base which are Linux users to get really cheap commodity hardware.

Not IBM did this. Not Commodore. Not Apple. Not Linux.

Regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH [email protected]

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 [email protected]
D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

2003-01-05 22:00:12

by Eric Ortega

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 09:24:47PM +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> "Dimitrie O. Paun" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > software. For how much money MS has, what have they innovated?
>
> Without Microsoft, there wouldn't be 2,4 GHz 32/64 bit microcomputers
> with 512 megabytes of main memory, ...

Take this half-baked crap elsewhere. I don't lurk on this list for this
drivel.

Find some statistics or facts disproving that someone else would have
filled this "void" and take your argument to someone who cares.

HAND.

2003-01-05 22:24:10

by Ian molton

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 21:24:47 +0000 (UTC)
"Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Without Microsoft, there wouldn't be 2,4 GHz 32/64 bit microcomputers
> with 512 megabytes of main memory, 120 gigabytes of hard disk space
> and 1600x1200 pixels 32 bit resolution

> Face it. Microsoft Software is, what made the breakthrough to really
> put a powerful machine in every home and allow the 2-5% of the owner
> base which are Linux users to get really cheap commodity hardware.

<rant>

BULLSHIT. it may have happened that way, but if M$ didnt do it it would
STILL have happened.

I was using 1600x1200 desktops on my Acorn RISC PC about a year, perhaps
2 years, before that sort of resolution was available on the majority of
PCs.

Before that I was using an ARM 2 and 3 based A410 which literally blew
away all desktops available at the time (286, 386) in terms of
performance.

Even today, My A410 can play a game of DOOM at nearly 486 speeds, in
truecolour!

This hardware had a british designed processor (ARM) and no INTEL or
such chips in sight. Windows never ran on it.

Yet my 15 year old A410/1 remains one of the most useful machines in my
house today, alongside an AthlonXP1800+ which, 15 years later, *STILL*
doesnt have a DTP solution thats as easy to use as Ovation Pro or
Impression Publisher were on the A410.

Only a week ago I used the A410 to draw a PCB layout for an audio
amplifier, using software which was supplied IN THE MACHINES ROM, along
with the OS.

I shall use the A410 to print the layout at 1200dpi onto transparent
film, too.

Not bad for free software on a 15 year old machine

Oh, and the same 15 year old machine can manage a (doublescanned)
1600x600 screenmode too, using dual ported RAM, at negligible speed
penalty.

So dont give me this crap that only M$ could provide the sub 500ukp PC
with bells and whitles.

All M$ have done is force us all to use turbocharged versions of a
jumped up washinmachine control microprocessor, and repeatedly upgrade
it to keep up.

No thanks.

</rant>