2003-01-13 22:33:29

by Soeren Sonnenburg

Subject: Bug report : i810_audio, compaq evo 410c, 2.4.20

> I have laptops here (compaq evo 410c) that freeze completely while playing
> sound (using mpg123, for example). The crash is random, it may freeze as soon
> as playback start of after a few minutes.

All I can say is me too... It seems as if the sound card is doing irq sharing and
strongly dislikes that... at least for me sound works for some seconds
then starts to stutter and crashes somewhen (within 30sec) later.

I was using kernel 2.4.18 (from debian woody).

I also tried alsa but some behaviour.

I saw that someone said he got it working, see:
http://larve.net/people/hugo/2002/12/evo410

But I could not find out how.

It would be pretty nice if APM / ACPI worked for the evo ... did you
try it yet ?

Soeren.

2003-01-14 08:54:13

by Nicolas Turro

Subject: Re: Bug report : i810_audio, compaq evo 410c, 2.4.20

2003-01-14 09:13:16

by Hugo Haas

* Nicolas Turro <[email protected]> [2003-01-14 10:02+0100]
> > I saw that someone said he got it working, see:
> > http://larve.net/people/hugo/2002/12/evo410
>

> I already contacted Hugo, in fact, he didn't manage to make the sound working
> either.
>
> > But I could not find out how.

I got reports from two people who said that they got it working.

One of them (I haven't updated my page yet) said that the Evo N410c
was "using a variant of the AD1886 (the AD1886A)" and that 2.4.19's
ac97_codec.c could be modified to add to ac97_codec_ids:

{ 0x41445363 ,"Analog Devices AD1886A", &null_opts },

and then it works with:

modprobe i810_audio clocking=41194

Nicolas tried this, as he reported, with 2.4.20 and said that it was
still crashing. I haven't played with this myself yet.

Regards,

Hugo

--
Hugo Haas - http://larve.net/people/hugo/