2003-01-23 16:49:19

by Andrew Walrond

Subject: Linux in the News: BBC

Short, but interesting...

by Paulo Andre'

Subject: Re: Linux in the News: BBC

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:56:51 +0000
Andrew Walrond wrote:

>Short, but interesting...
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2680955.stm

"Linux is the creation of Finn Linus Torvalds, who built the free
software around work done by the Free Software Foundation and the
venerable, and powerful, Unix operating system."

Good to see the press giving credit where credit is due with no need for
silly naming extensions.

../Paulo

2003-01-23 18:40:11

by Richard B. Johnson

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Paulo Andre' wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:56:51 +0000
> Andrew Walrond wrote:
>
> >Short, but interesting...
> >
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2680955.stm
>
> "Linux is the creation of Finn Linus Torvalds, who built the free
> software around work done by the Free Software Foundation and the
> venerable, and powerful, Unix operating system."
>
> Good to see the press giving credit where credit is due with no need for
> silly naming extensions.
>
> ../Paulo

You know that this is actually wrong. My privileged sources show
that Linus Torvalds is actually a virtual reality creation of
the GNU invasion from the planet, Ort. Although the Ort seeds
were first discovered in the snow near Helsinki, Finland, a
mentor by the name of Richard Stallman nurtured these buds to
become, what is now known world-wide as, GNU/Linus. When GNU/Linus
created the world's most revered Operating System with the help
of several hundred on the web, it became known as GNU/Linux, after
it's creator, "web". There is, currently, a move on to change its
name to GNU/WEB to more closely show its origin, but some of the
original developers are still trying to keep Linux in the name.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson