2003-01-27 05:23:58

by Enlight

Subject: Problem - See attached dmesg dump

To who can help,

While running make to build xfce3.8.18 I get an internal gcc error
segmentation fault. Also got similar error running rpmdrake. Needless to
say I can't finish the build.

Attached is a file with the error messages and a lot of info on my system.
The cdrom fail to open is another issue that I need to investigate. I don't
think it is related, but who knows.

Please cc personally to me, I am not subscribed to mailing list. If it is my
hardware, such as memory, please suggest method to test to verify.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attachments:
savebug.txt (9.97 kB)

2003-01-28 11:41:58

by Alan

Subject: Re: Problem - See attached dmesg dump

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 05:36, Enlight wrote:
> To who can help,
>
> While running make to build xfce3.8.18 I get an internal gcc error
> segmentation fault. Also got similar error running rpmdrake. Needless to
> say I can't finish the build.

Send reports about vendor kernels to the vendor concerned. Vendors add various
custom changes to the base kernel, they also know a lot more about the patterns
of problems their users see

2003-01-28 12:12:14

by Catalin BOIE

> > While running make to build xfce3.8.18 I get an internal gcc error
> > segmentation fault. Also got similar error running rpmdrake. Needless to
> > say I can't finish the build.

I get this error too. gcc 3.2.1 seg faults a lot when compiling a kernel.
Motherboard: gigabyte 7avx (I think) K400.
Under Windows 2000 (don't ask why, please...) no BSOD.

> Send reports about vendor kernels to the vendor concerned. Vendors add various
> custom changes to the base kernel, they also know a lot more about the patterns
> of problems their users see
>
> -

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE

by Horst von Brand

Catalin BOIE <[email protected]> said:
> > > While running make to build xfce3.8.18 I get an internal gcc error
> > > segmentation fault. Also got similar error running rpmdrake. Needless to
> > > say I can't finish the build.
>
> I get this error too. gcc 3.2.1 seg faults a lot when compiling a kernel.
> Motherboard: gigabyte 7avx (I think) K400.
> Under Windows 2000 (don't ask why, please...) no BSOD.

Segfaults in gcc are usually caused by bad RAM (<http://www.memtest86.com>)
or broken fans (CPU mostly). "Win* works fine" is of no consecuence, Linux
works your machine to its limits, Win* doesn't come close; Linux does
complain when something goes wrong, Win* just sweeps the error under the
rug and hopes all goes well.

by Catalin BOIE

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Horst von Brand wrote:

> > I get this error too. gcc 3.2.1 seg faults a lot when compiling a kernel.
> > Motherboard: gigabyte 7avx (I think) K400.
> > Under Windows 2000 (don't ask why, please...) no BSOD.
>
> Segfaults in gcc are usually caused by bad RAM (<http://www.memtest86.com>)
> or broken fans (CPU mostly). "Win* works fine" is of no consecuence, Linux
> works your machine to its limits, Win* doesn't come close; Linux does
> complain when something goes wrong, Win* just sweeps the error under the
> rug and hopes all goes well.

I checked the memory and it's ok.
The computer is new.
The only thing that looks strange is the CPU temperature (68 Celsius).
CPU is Athlon XP 1700+
It has a big fan that spins at ~5000 rpm.

Thanks!

> --
> Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616 counter.li.org
> Departamento de Informatica Fono: +56 32 654431
> Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria +56 32 654239
> Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile Fax: +56 32 797513

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE

by Enlight

I did test memory and found no problems.

I regressed to kernel-2.4.8 and gcc-2.96 and was able to successfully build
XFCE without a glitch.

I now plan to progress to kernel-2.4.19, which I have, and attempt build
with gcc-2.96. If that works or fails I will progress to kernel-2.4.20.
After that I will bump gcc up and see what happens. I suspect gcc really
works the system with recursive system calls and memory paging.

I tried ksymoops and it ran soooooo sloooooow. I am not sure I have it
right and I was not able to get results. I just need to study more I guess.
I don't do this for a living so I beg your forgiveness and appreciate the
input and patience from everybody.

Jerry DeLisle (enlight)

> > > While running make to build xfce3.8.18 I get an internal gcc error
> > > segmentation fault. Also got similar error running rpmdrake.
Needless to
> > > say I can't finish the build.
>
> I get this error too. gcc 3.2.1 seg faults a lot when compiling a kernel.
> Motherboard: gigabyte 7avx (I think) K400.
> Under Windows 2000 (don't ask why, please...) no BSOD.
>

> > Send reports about vendor kernels to the vendor concerned. Vendors add
various
> > custom changes to the base kernel, they also know a lot more about the
patterns
> > of problems their users see
> >
> > -
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
in
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> >

> ---
> Catalin(ux) BOIE
> [email protected]

2003-01-30 17:46:30

by Bruce Harada

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:57:09 +0200 (EET)
Catalin BOIE <[email protected]> wrote:

> I checked the memory and it's ok.

How did you check it? Hint: Get memtest86 and run it continuously for as long
as you can stand it.
Linux version: http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/memtest86/memtest86-3.0.tar.gz
Windows version: http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/memtest86/memt30.zip

> The computer is new.

Worst kind - they break more than any other type.

> The only thing that looks strange is the CPU temperature (68 Celsius).
> CPU is Athlon XP 1700+

68C is rather high, especially if that's under no load...

> It has a big fan that spins at ~5000 rpm.

Well, that's nice to know anyway. I suggest checking to see if that big fan is
correctly attached.

2003-01-31 07:02:13

by Catalin BOIE

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Bruce Harada wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:57:09 +0200 (EET)
> Catalin BOIE <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I checked the memory and it's ok.
>
> How did you check it? Hint: Get memtest86 and run it continuously for as long
> as you can stand it.
The machine has 512MB RAM and I let the test (memtest86) run for 8 hours
or more.

> Linux version: http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/memtest86/memtest86-3.0.tar.gz
> Windows version: http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/memtest86/memt30.zip
>
> > The computer is new.
>
> Worst kind - they break more than any other type.
:)

> > The only thing that looks strange is the CPU temperature (68 Celsius).
> > CPU is Athlon XP 1700+
>
> 68C is rather high, especially if that's under no load...
68 in BIOS when it's no load... :(

> > It has a big fan that spins at ~5000 rpm.
>
> Well, that's nice to know anyway. I suggest checking to see if that big fan is
> correctly attached.

Probably you are right. I will check.

Thanks!

---