2003-02-12 13:54:13

by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Subject: Problems with hyper-threading on Asus P4T533 / Linux 2.4.20

We've just gotten an Asus P4T533-based machine with a 3.06GHz P4 CPU,
bios version 1005. (P4T533 is i850e-based.) The bios claims that the
P4 has hyper-threading, and as you can see from the cpuinfo output
below, "ht" is among the flags. (And the manual says that P4T533 is
ht-enabled.)

I've tried booting with acpismp=force and without, and it doesn't
seem to make much difference: Linux still only sees a single CPU.
I've also tried 2.4.21-pre4 and -ac4, which doesn't seem to make any
difference, either.

Anybody got any ideas why I can't get this to work?

buto:~# uname -a
Linux buto 2.4.20 #3 SMP Wed Feb 12 14:28:49 CET 2003 i686 unknown
buto:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
stepping : 7
cpu MHz : 3073.691
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips : 6134.16

[email protected] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

2003-02-12 15:21:21

by Thorsten Leemhuis

Hi

Am 12.02.03, 15:12:29, schrieb Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email protected]> zum
Thema Problems with hyper-threading on Asus P4T533 / Linux 2.4.20:

> We've just gotten an Asus P4T533-based machine with a 3.06GHz P4 CPU,
> bios version 1005. (P4T533 is i850e-based.) The bios claims that the
> P4 has hyper-threading, and as you can see from the cpuinfo output
> below, "ht" is among the flags. (And the manual says that P4T533 is
> ht-enabled.)

> I've tried booting with acpismp=force and without, and it doesn't
> seem to make much difference: Linux still only sees a single CPU.
> I've also tried 2.4.21-pre4 and -ac4, which doesn't seem to make any
> difference, either.

> Anybody got any ideas why I can't get this to work?

[...]

I know some other Asus Boards that only work in HT mode when you're using
ACPI Patches from

But I don't know why -- Maybe someone else knows why?

CU
Thorsten Leemhuis

2003-02-12 15:48:36

by Balram Adlakha

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:03:59 +0100
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email protected]> wrote:

> We've just gotten an Asus P4T533-based machine with a 3.06GHz P4 CPU,
> bios version 1005. (P4T533 is i850e-based.) The bios claims that the
> P4 has hyper-threading, and as you can see from the cpuinfo output
> below, "ht" is among the flags. (And the manual says that P4T533 is
> ht-enabled.)
>
> I've tried booting with acpismp=force and without, and it doesn't
> seem to make much difference: Linux still only sees a single CPU.
> I've also tried 2.4.21-pre4 and -ac4, which doesn't seem to make any
> difference, either.
>
> Anybody got any ideas why I can't get this to work?
>
> buto:~# uname -a
> Linux buto 2.4.20 #3 SMP Wed Feb 12 14:28:49 CET 2003 i686 unknown
> buto:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 15
> model : 2
> model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
> stepping : 7
> cpu MHz : 3073.691
> cache size : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 2
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> bogomips : 6134.16

Thats sounds alright, you have to have an SMP kernel to use HT. Build a new kernel with the SMP option checked.
After that, you will see something like this with all that is above :
siblings : 2

And cpuinfo will show info for 2 processors...

2003-02-12 16:33:59

by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Thorsten Leemhuis <[email protected]> writes:

> I know some other Asus Boards that only work in HT mode when you're using
> ACPI Patches from
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=36832

Thanks! That solves the problem for me. /proc/cpuinfo now shows two
CPUs.

[email protected] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen