2003-02-14 20:38:24

by Maciej Soltysiak

Subject: creating incremental diffs

Hi,

let's say i want to create an incremental diff between
2.4.21pre4aa1 and aa2.

how do i do that?

Regards,
Maciej Soltysiak

2003-02-14 21:00:48

by Adrian Bunk

Subject: Re: creating incremental diffs

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 09:48:16PM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Maciej,

> let's say i want to create an incremental diff between
> 2.4.21pre4aa1 and aa2.
>
> how do i do that?

install Tim Waugh's patchutils [1] and do an

interdiff -z 2.4.21pre4aa1.gz 2.4.21pre4aa2.gz > my-aa1-aa2

> Regards,
> Maciej Soltysiak

cu
Adrian

[1] http://cyberelk.net/tim/data/patchutils/

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2003-02-14 21:13:15

by Matt Reppert

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:48:16 +0100 (CET)
Maciej Soltysiak <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> let's say i want to create an incremental diff between
> 2.4.21pre4aa1 and aa2.
>
> how do I do that?

Make two trees, one with aa1, one with aa2. Diff them. (The "slow, painful"
method.)

You could also use interdiff from diffutils.

Matt

2003-02-14 21:36:33

by Larry McVoy

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 03:22:31PM -0600, Matt Reppert wrote:
> > let's say i want to create an incremental diff between
> > 2.4.21pre4aa1 and aa2.

If you are using BK

bk export -tpatch -rv2.4.21pre4aa1,vaa2
--
---

by Maciej Soltysiak

> interdiff -z 2.4.21pre4aa1.gz 2.4.21pre4aa2.gz > my-aa1-aa2
Ok, works great.

But the patches created by interdiff and the method proposed by Joshua
are different :)
5kb of differences. Intriguing.

Regards,
Maciej

2003-02-14 21:33:38

by John Bradford

> let's say i want to create an incremental diff between
> 2.4.21pre4aa1 and aa2.
>
> how do i do that?

Something like:

cd /usr/src/
diff -rNu linux-2.4.21pre4aa1 linux-2.4.21pre4aa2 > patch

should do it.

John.

2003-02-14 21:45:34

by Muli Ben-Yehuda

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 09:48:16PM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let's say i want to create an incremental diff between
> 2.4.21pre4aa1 and aa2.

look for a package called patchutils, which includes interdiff.

mulix@alhambra:~$ apt-cache show patchutils
Package: patchutils
[snipped]
This package includes the following utilities:
- combinediff creates a cumulative patch from two incremental patches
- dehtmldiff extracts a diff from an HTML page
- filterdiff extracts or excludes diffs from a diff file
- fixcvsdiff fixes diff files created by CVS that "patch" mis-interprets
- flipdiff exchanges the order of two patches
- grepdiff shows which files are modified by a patch matching a regex
- interdiff shows differences between two unified diff files
- lsdiff shows which files are modified by a patch
- recountdiff recomputes counts and offsets in unified context diffs
- rediff fixes offsets and counts of a hand-edited diff
- splitdiff separates out incremental patches
- unwrapdiff demangles patches that have been word-wrapped

--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org