2003-02-17 12:09:13

by Nandakumar NarayanaSwamy

Subject: CRAMFS on Flash

Dear All,

I succeeded in making the target board booting using CRAMFS with
initrd.
Since initrd will uncompress the image and load the file system to
RAM i face the lack of memory problem in RAM.

So i just wanted to make the kernel boot with the CRAMFS in flash.
I had seen the old mailing list archives related to that. I still
have some clarifications regarding that.

1) Where to create the mtd partitions for the file system in
flash? First i just want to create a simple CRAMFS with some
binaries and executables and then mount it using mount command i.e
like
mount -t cramfs /dev/mtdblock0 /home

I would appreciate if somebody could help me to sort out this
issue.
Thanks in advance,
Nanda

2003-02-17 12:55:46

by Jörn Engel

Subject: Re: CRAMFS on Flash

On Mon, 17 February 2003 12:25:26 -0000, Nandakumar NarayanaSwamy wrote:

> 1) Where to create the mtd partitions for the file system in
> flash? First i just want to create a simple CRAMFS with some
> binaries and executables and then mount it using mount command i.e
> like
> mount -t cramfs /dev/mtdblock0 /home

Several options:
- Create a custom mapping driver with hard coded partitions, like most
in drivers/mtd/maps.
- Use a partition table parser and put the partition table into flash.
- Look at the documentation to cmdline.c or browse through the mtd
archives. (not sure, haven't looked at it myself yet)

J?rn

--
The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of
his own skull; therefore he approaches the programming task in full