2003-02-24 22:57:10

by Jerry Cooperstein

Subject: Thinkpad Keyboard nuttiness since 2.5.60 with power management

Since 2.5.60 the keyboard on my Thinkpad 600X randomly
autorepeats each stroke multiple times, only when
power management is enabled (either APM or ACPI) and
only when powered up with no AC power. With AC power
everything is fine, and pulling the plug out has
no effects.

Everything was fine in 2.5.59, and I can't find anything
in the 2.5.59->2.5.60 patch that could have caused this.
Anyone else see this -- or maybe I have a hardware problem
the patch is making visible?

Thanks

Jerry Cooperstein, Senior Consultant, <[email protected]>
Axian, Inc., Software Consulting and Training
4800 SW Griffith Dr., Ste. 202, Beaverton, OR 97005 USA
http://www.axian.com/

by David Shepard

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 03:06:40PM -0800, Jerry Cooperstein wrote:
> Since 2.5.60 the keyboard on my Thinkpad 600X randomly
> autorepeats each stroke multiple times, only when
> power management is enabled (either APM or ACPI) and
> only when powered up with no AC power. With AC power
> everything is fine, and pulling the plug out has
> no effects.
>
> Everything was fine in 2.5.59, and I can't find anything
> in the 2.5.59->2.5.60 patch that could have caused this.
> Anyone else see this -- or maybe I have a hardware problem
> the patch is making visible?
>
> Thanks

> Jerry Cooperstein, Senior Consultant, <[email protected]>
> Axian, Inc., Software Consulting and Training
> 4800 SW Griffith Dr., Ste. 202, Beaverton, OR 97005 USA
> http://www.axian.com/

I am seeing a strange keyboard related issue as well on a Thinkpad A20M. It seems if I walk away for say, 20 minutes, come back and try to input a password to KDE's screen saver, the FIRST keystroke I make is not recognized at all. All keystrokes after the first one register perfectly fine. This is on the laptop's built-in keyboard. I too am using ACPI. If I don't wait long enough it doesn't happen, so I do believe it has something to do with power management. I first noticed it in 2.5.61(first 2.5 kernel that would boot for me) and am currently running 2.5.63, where I still see it. I am not using modules.

If anyone would like more info on this, please let me know.

--David Shepard