2003-03-08 22:13:42

by CIJOML

Subject: very buggy 3DFx framebuffer support!!! :(

Hello,

I found out very buggy 3DFx framebuffer support :(

when I select nothing when console bootings, I got white background under
Tux, rolling up with black background of text. Then everything under Tux has
black background and white text, but there, where is tux icon everything on
the right side of the icon has still white background

when I select in lilo
append="video=tdfx:1024x768-24@75"

my console gets screws up and I can't see anything under it. X windows but
works.

When I boot computer without append and then call it with fbset -a
1024x768-75 things are the same ;( and I still can select Xwindows with alt+f7

Please can anybody fix this?

Linux 2.4.20 vanilla, gcc 3.0.4, Debian woody 3.0r1, 3DFx card, P3 733
Coppermine

I don't get linux-kernel, so please if anybody will fix that, send me patches
to test, coz some things were made in 2.4.19 and then thing goes worser then
before. I wanna comunicate with developers to solve this, coz this bug is in
kernel for a long time nonfixed :((

Michal

2003-03-09 05:49:38

by jurriaan

> I found out very buggy 3DFx framebuffer support :(
>
> when I select nothing when console bootings, I got white background under
> Tux, rolling up with black background of text. Then everything under Tux has
> black background and white text, but there, where is tux icon everything on
> the right side of the icon has still white background
>
> when I select in lilo
> append="video=tdfx:1024x768-24@75"
>
> my console gets screws up and I can't see anything under it. X windows but
> works.
>
> When I boot computer without append and then call it with fbset -a
> 1024x768-75 things are the same ;( and I still can select Xwindows with alt+f7
>
> Please can anybody fix this?
>
> Linux 2.4.20 vanilla, gcc 3.0.4, Debian woody 3.0r1, 3DFx card, P3 733
> Coppermine

What 3dfx card? Output in log-files? Dmesg-output? output of 'dmesg' ?

Jurriaan
--
If Big Brother is watching you, stare back, he doesn't like it.
Shannon

2003-03-09 11:12:23

by Paolo Ornati

On Sunday 09 March 2003 06:54, Jurriaan wrote:
> From: Michal Semler <[email protected]>
> Date: Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 11:23:18PM +0100
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I found out very buggy 3DFx framebuffer support :(
> >
> > when I select nothing when console bootings, I got white background under
> > Tux, rolling up with black background of text. Then everything under Tux
> > has black background and white text, but there, where is tux icon
> > everything on the right side of the icon has still white background
> >
> > when I select in lilo
> > append="video=tdfx:1024x768-24@75"
> >
> > my console gets screws up and I can't see anything under it. X windows
> > but works.
> >
> > When I boot computer without append and then call it with fbset -a
> > 1024x768-75 things are the same ;( and I still can select Xwindows with
> > alt+f7
> >
> > Please can anybody fix this?
> >
> > Linux 2.4.20 vanilla, gcc 3.0.4, Debian woody 3.0r1, 3DFx card, P3 733
> > Coppermine
>
> What 3dfx card? Output in log-files? Dmesg-output? output of 'dmesg' ?
>
> Jurriaan

I have the same problem when I use the "tdfxfb" driver, my configuration is:
Linux 2.4.20, gcc 2.95.4, Debian woody 3.0, AMD Duron 750 and...
3dfx Voodoo Banshee (16 Mb)

$ dmesg | grep "tdfx"
tdfxfb: reserving 1024 bytes for the hwcursor at c97ff000
[drm] Initialized tdfx 1.0.0 20010216 on minor 0

$ dmesg | grep "fb"
fb: Banshee memory = 16384K
fb: MTRR's turned on
tdfxfb: reserving 1024 bytes for the hwcursor at c97ff000
fb0: 3Dfx Banshee frame buffer device
vga16fb: initializing
vga16fb: mapped to 0xc00a0000
fb1: VGA16 VGA frame buffer device

I don't see any error...

Paolo

2003-03-09 11:10:21

by CIJOML

Well,

my card si 3DFx Voodoo3 3000 with tvout support

When non append is selected, output of dmesg looks like this:

fb: Voodoo3 memory = 16384K
fb: MTRR's turned on
tdfxfb: reserving 1024 bytes for the hwcursor at d1817000
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
fb0: 3Dfx Voodoo3 frame buffer device

agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
agpgart: Detected Intel i815 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xf4000000
[drm] Initialized tdfx 1.0.0 20010216 on minor 0
[drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel i815 @ 0xf4000000 64MB
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.1.1 20010405 on minor 1
[drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel i815 @ 0xf4000000 64MB
[drm] Initialized i810 1.2.0 20010920 on minor 2

When append is selected, output looks like this:

fb: Voodoo3 memory = 16384K
fb: MTRR's turned on
tdfxfb: reserving 1024 bytes for the hwcursor at d1817000
fbcon_setup: No support for fontwidth 8
fbcon_setup: type 0 (aux 0, depth 24) not supported
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
fb0: 3Dfx Voodoo3 frame buffer device

When console switch, tux is black-white, all background is black and non
booting text is seen anymore. X server starts normally and working, when I
select console f1-f6 console screw up :(. When I boot with non append,
background is white as I wrote down the text when select fbset, console screw
up the same way as when selecting console from Xserver

My .config lookslike this:
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CLGEN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
CONFIG_FB_3DFX=y
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
CONFIG_FBCON_MFB=m
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB2=m
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB4=m
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_AFB is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ILBM is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P2 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P4 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_IPLAN2P8 is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_MAC is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_VGA_PLANES is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_VGA is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_ACORN_8x8 is not set

ask me for other things if you'll need some...

Michal