2003-03-10 09:49:20

by Daniel Engelschalt

Subject: 2.5.64 boot problems

hi all,

this is the first time i tried to use a 2.5.x kernel. i compiled it
successfully but at boot time it stops at "ok booting kernel"

this is gentoo 1.2, gcc-2.95.3, 2.5.64 vanilla
amd athlon 800, 512mb, asus a7v with udma/100 ibm-disk (boot device),
dvd-rom / cd-burner at udma/66

what shall i do? do you need additional information?
please cc me.

bye,
daniel

2003-03-10 17:50:34

by Daniel Engelschalt

Subject: Re: 2.5.64 boot problems

> > this is the first time i tried to use a 2.5.x kernel. i compiled it
> > successfully but at boot time it stops at "ok booting kernel"
> >
> > this is gentoo 1.2, gcc-2.95.3, 2.5.64 vanilla
> > amd athlon 800, 512mb, asus a7v with udma/100 ibm-disk (boot device),
> > dvd-rom / cd-burner at udma/66
> >
> > what shall i do? do you need additional information?
>
> The .config file is always helpful.
see attachment. did i miss something ?

> Try a few older kernel versions, until you find one that works. A lot
> has changed in the last few versions. If you try each one back to
> 2.5.60, you should find one that works, then we can take it from there
> and work out which change broke it.
tried 2.5.60 and no success.

bye,
daniel

Attachments:
config (18.65 kB)

2003-03-10 18:31:13

by Matthew Harrell

> this is the first time i tried to use a 2.5.x kernel. i compiled it
> successfully but at boot time it stops at "ok booting kernel"

I've got the same problem on my HP ZT1195 laptop and it only just started
with the 2.5.64 kernels (and all bk snapshots). 2.5.63 worked fine. Config
attached below

--
Matthew Harrell I no longer need to punish, deceive,
Bit Twiddlers, Inc. or compromise myself, unless I want

Attachments:
(No filename) (529.00 B)
.config (32.60 kB)

by Paul Rolland

Could you try the same config without APIC and IO APIC for Uniprocessor
?
I've a problem that is directly related to 2.5.64 and these features...

Without them, 2.5.64 just boots fine...

Regards,
Paul

2003-03-11 13:43:17

by Matthew Harrell

I tried that with 2.5.64-bk5 and it didn't help. Still hung at the same
place. This was with CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC unset which got rid of the following

CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC

: Could you try the same config without APIC and IO APIC for Uniprocessor
: ?
: I've a problem that is directly related to 2.5.64 and these features...
:
: Without them, 2.5.64 just boots fine...

--
Matthew Harrell Every morning is the dawn of a
Bit Twiddlers, Inc. new error.