2003-03-15 16:24:44

by Breno

Subject: Demand paging - Kernel

Hi

There is a possibility to do demand paging in kernel space address ?

thanks

2003-03-16 02:01:11

by Felipe Alfaro Solana

Subject: Re: Demand paging - Kernel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Breno" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 13:29:52 -0300
To: "Kernel List" <[email protected]>

> There is a possibility to do demand paging in kernel space address ?

Why? I would like to know your reasons :-)
http://www.linuxmail.org/

Powered by Outblaze

2003-03-16 15:41:00

by Breno

Hi Filipe

There is no reason , just i want know if possible.
thanks
> > There is a possibility to do demand paging in kernel space address ?
>
> Why? I would like to know your reasons :-)
> http://www.linuxmail.org/
> Now with e-mail forwarding for only US$5.95/yr
>
> Powered by Outblaze

2003-03-17 14:24:56

by Tommy Reynolds

Uttered "Breno" <[email protected]>, spoke thus:

> There is a possibility to do demand paging in kernel space address ?

No. The entire kernel, and all of its data structures, are resident in
memory all of the time. Kernel demand paging is not possible, not
necessary and not implemented.

2003-03-17 21:49:17

by Horst H. von Brand

Tommy Reynolds <[email protected]> said:
> Uttered "Breno" <[email protected]>, spoke thus:
> > There is a possibility to do demand paging in kernel space address ?

> No. The entire kernel, and all of its data structures, are resident in
> memory all of the time.

In the current Linux kernel, that is.

> Kernel demand paging is not possible,

It is certainly possible (you could mark areas that don't contain currently
used stuff for pageout). It is extremely hairy to do right (just see the
mess with module loading/unloading, which is some of the same stuff, very
tamed).

> not
> necessary and not implemented.

The cost of doing it right in a monolitic kernel would probably outweigh
the gains manyfold, and require massive redesign for Linux. In microkernels
it is a lot easier to do (but their performance sucks baby elephants
through straws, so they are moot :-)

by Tommy Reynolds

Uttered Horst von Brand <[email protected]>, spoke thus:

> Tommy Reynolds <[email protected]> said:
> > Uttered "Breno" <[email protected]>, spoke thus:
> > > There is a possibility to do demand paging in kernel space address ?
> > No. The entire kernel, and all of its data structures, are resident in
> > memory all of the time.
> The cost of doing it right in a monolitic kernel would probably outweigh
> the gains manyfold, and require massive redesign for Linux. In microkernels
> it is a lot easier to do (but their performance sucks baby elephants
> through straws, so they are moot :-)

Dr. von Brand,

Thanks for following up on this. You are right, of course: with the
source code and enough patience anything could be crafted. I answered
in the sense of "is this currently implemented", and it's not ;-)