2003-03-17 18:28:29

by Maciej Soltysiak

Subject: modutils for 2.5

Hi,

is there a special modutils package needed for 2.5 kernels?

lsmod on 2.5 says QM_MODULES not supported, and while

# make modules_install
i always get tons of unresolved symbols about all what is in the modules.

I tried modutils 2.4.21 and 2.4.23 with the same result

Regards,
Maciej Soltysiak

2003-03-17 18:48:06

by Randy.Dunlap

Subject: Re: modutils for 2.5

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:39:20 +0100 (CET) Maciej Soltysiak <[email protected]> wrote:

| Hi,
|
| is there a special modutils package needed for 2.5 kernels?
|
| lsmod on 2.5 says QM_MODULES not supported, and while
|
| # make modules_install
| i always get tons of unresolved symbols about all what is in the modules.
|
| I tried modutils 2.4.21 and 2.4.23 with the same result

Yes, please read this for general 2.5 changes:
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
and get 2.5 module tools from here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/

--
~Randy

2003-03-17 18:50:58

by Bob Miller

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 07:39:20PM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a special modutils package needed for 2.5 kernels?
>
> lsmod on 2.5 says QM_MODULES not supported, and while
>
> # make modules_install
> i always get tons of unresolved symbols about all what is in the modules.
>
> I tried modutils 2.4.21 and 2.4.23 with the same result
>
> Regards,
> Maciej Soltysiak
Yes there is. Look in:

ftp.kernel.org://pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules

I think the latest version is:

module-init-tools-0.9.10.tar.bz2
module-init-tools-0.9.10.tar.bz

Pick whichever compress format makes you happiest.

--
Bob Miller Email: [email protected]
Open Source Development Lab Phone: 503.626.2455 Ext. 17

2003-03-17 19:29:48

by Maciej Soltysiak

> I think the latest version is:
>
> module-init-tools-0.9.10.tar.bz2
Thanks, i downloaded 0.7 just before. :)

Anyway i succesfully booted 2.5.64-bk12 with X with patched nvidia
drivers.

Regards,
Maciej

2003-03-17 19:26:19

by jlnance

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:01:36AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> Yes there is. Look in:
>
> ftp.kernel.org://pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules

Any idea if installing this break a redhat-8 kernel upgrade? I
updated modutils some time ago and it does not seem very happy
with 2.4 kernels now. I was using RPMs because I want to keep
the package manager informed about which packages are installed.
Perhaps there was a problem with the way the RPMs were made rather
than the tools.

Thanks,

Jim

2003-03-17 21:29:27

by Bob Miller

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:37:11PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:01:36AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> > Yes there is. Look in:
> >
> > ftp.kernel.org://pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules
>
> Any idea if installing this break a redhat-8 kernel upgrade? I
> updated modutils some time ago and it does not seem very happy
> with 2.4 kernels now. I was using RPMs because I want to keep
> the package manager informed about which packages are installed.
> Perhaps there was a problem with the way the RPMs were made rather
> than the tools.

Please read the README that comes with the package, it explains this
and other issues in more detail. In a nut shell you will need to save
away the currently installed tools so they can be used by "older" kernels.

The makefile that comes with the package has targets that do the "right
thing". Please read the README.

--
Bob Miller Email: [email protected]
Open Source Development Lab Phone: 503.626.2455 Ext. 17

2003-03-17 21:36:12

by Stephen Hemminger

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 13:40, Bob Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:37:11PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:01:36AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> > > Yes there is. Look in:
> > >
> > > ftp.kernel.org://pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules
> >
> > Any idea if installing this break a redhat-8 kernel upgrade? I
> > updated modutils some time ago and it does not seem very happy
> > with 2.4 kernels now. I was using RPMs because I want to keep
> > the package manager informed about which packages are installed.
> > Perhaps there was a problem with the way the RPMs were made rather
> > than the tools.
> >

> Please read the README that comes with the package, it explains this
> and other issues in more detail. In a nut shell you will need to save
> away the currently installed tools so they can be used by "older" kernels.
>
> The makefile that comes with the package has targets that do the "right
> thing". Please read the README.

Have seen a problem with the Redhat kernel upgrade after installing new
modutils. Basically, the problem is that the kernel updater will
install a new kernel, and build a new init ram disk (initrd), but the
2.5 version of modprobe/insmod will get put in the ram disk instead of
the 2.4 version (modprobe.old). This is fixable, but a nuisance.

2003-03-18 16:07:12

by Horst H. von Brand

[email protected] said:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:01:36AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> > Yes there is. Look in:
> >
> > ftp.kernel.org://pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules
>
> Any idea if installing this break a redhat-8 kernel upgrade?

Sure breaks the initrd. You ned to futz around and install the old
insmod.static into the initrd.

by Horst H. von Brand

Bob Miller <[email protected]> said:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:37:11PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:

[...]

> > Any idea if installing this break a redhat-8 kernel upgrade? I
> > updated modutils some time ago and it does not seem very happy
> > with 2.4 kernels now. I was using RPMs because I want to keep
> > the package manager informed about which packages are installed.
> > Perhaps there was a problem with the way the RPMs were made rather
> > than the tools.

> Please read the README that comes with the package, it explains this
> and other issues in more detail. In a nut shell you will need to save
> away the currently installed tools so they can be used by "older"
> kernels.

They are not used by older kernels, if the new tool finds out that the
kernel is old, it exec(3)s the old tool. In particular, if you build a new
initrd with mkinitrd(8), it will _only_ package the new tool, and
everything goes south on boot.