2003-03-18 21:35:59

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: Testers wanted: Software Suspend for 2.4

Hi all.

If you're using a 2.4 kernel and haven't tried software suspend, or
haven't tried it in a while, would you please consider giving it a try?
The patches can be found on sourceforge.net/projects/swsusp. You'll want
to download beta19 and then add the patches from the devel section
beta19-0[1-8]. All feedback is welcome on the swsusp list. You'll find a
link to it by going to the homepage from there.

This is the code I'm currently completing a port of to 2.5, so I'll
shortly (DV) be after testers for the 2.5 version too.

Regards,

Nigel

--
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does
not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth.
-- 2 Timothy 2:14, NASB.

2003-03-20 22:26:59

by Rene Rebe

Subject: Re: Testers wanted: Software Suspend for 2.4

Hi.

Thanks for your work!

I just manged to suspend and resume a freshly booted 2.4.20 + "your
latest patch" system ;-)

I had to read the kernel source a hour to do so, because I use devfs
and naively used resume=/dev/ide/host0/.... which obiously does not
work.

For now you might add to the docs that devfs users simply have to use
the corresponding old /dev/hdX name. If I have too much time I'll take
a look to make swsuspend devfs aware. But this might not be that soon
:-(

I'll report after more testing.

On: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:44:15 +1200,
Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> If you're using a 2.4 kernel and haven't tried software suspend, or
> haven't tried it in a while, would you please consider giving it a try?
> The patches can be found on sourceforge.net/projects/swsusp. You'll want
> to download beta19 and then add the patches from the devel section
> beta19-0[1-8]. All feedback is welcome on the swsusp list. You'll find a
> link to it by going to the homepage from there.
>
> This is the code I'm currently completing a port of to 2.5, so I'll
> shortly (DV) be after testers for the 2.5 version too.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nigel

Have fun,
- Ren?

--
Ren? Rebe - Europe/Germany/Berlin
e-mail: [email protected], [email protected]

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> Thanks for your work!
>
> I just manged to suspend and resume a freshly booted 2.4.20 + "your
> latest patch" system ;-)
>
> I had to read the kernel source a hour to do so, because I use devfs
> and naively used resume=/dev/ide/host0/.... which obiously does not
> work.
>
> For now you might add to the docs that devfs users simply have to use
> the corresponding old /dev/hdX name. If I have too much time I'll take
> a look to make swsuspend devfs aware. But this might not be that soon
> :-(

Is root= devfs aware? If yes fix swsusp
else fix docs.
Pavel
--
Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

2003-03-24 22:17:33

by Rene Rebe

Hi.

root= "seems" to be devfs aware. It always simply worked.

I read the source when I have time (which might be in some days).

On: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:14:06 +0100,
Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Thanks for your work!
> >
> > I just manged to suspend and resume a freshly booted 2.4.20 + "your
> > latest patch" system ;-)
> >
> > I had to read the kernel source a hour to do so, because I use devfs
> > and naively used resume=/dev/ide/host0/.... which obiously does not
> > work.
> >
> > For now you might add to the docs that devfs users simply have to use
> > the corresponding old /dev/hdX name. If I have too much time I'll take
> > a look to make swsuspend devfs aware. But this might not be that soon
> > :-(
>
> Is root= devfs aware? If yes fix swsusp
> else fix docs.
> Pavel