2003-03-26 14:34:16

by Robert L. Harris

Subject: fixing module autoload stacking

Ok, bringing this here because it's bugging a few of us.

Scenario:
Linux 2.4.X kernel with scsi-generic, usb-storage, fat and vfat compiled
as modules. I plug in my usb drive (archos jukebox or sandisk
thumbdrive) and it won't autoload the sg and usb-storage drivers. If I
modprobe sg, modprobe usb-drive it will autoload fat and vfat.

What the heck do I need to change on my Debian system (I can try and
convert redhat directions) to get this chain working properly?

Thanks,
Robert

(I'll forward out to the other list in question)

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

Attachments:
(No filename) (952.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: fixing module autoload stacking

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:45:26AM -0500, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Ok, bringing this here because it's bugging a few of us.
>
> Scenario:
> Linux 2.4.X kernel with scsi-generic, usb-storage, fat and vfat compiled
> as modules. I plug in my usb drive (archos jukebox or sandisk
> thumbdrive) and it won't autoload the sg and usb-storage drivers. If I
> modprobe sg, modprobe usb-drive it will autoload fat and vfat.
>
> What the heck do I need to change on my Debian system (I can try and
> convert redhat directions) to get this chain working properly?

Do you have the hotplug package installed? It should handle this for
you.

thanks,

greg k-h