2003-03-29 22:38:01

by Norberto Bensa

Subject: Problem burning with ATAPI cd-rw

Hello all,

I'm having a problem burning CDs. I ruined 3 cds (yeah, now I know '-dummy'
:-/ and after checking dmesg, I see lots of these messages (or similar)

ATAPI device hda:
Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
Invalid field in parameter list -- (asc=0x26, ascq=0x00)
The failed "Mode Select 10" packet command was:
"55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 3c 00 00 00 "
hda: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: packet command error: error=0x50
hda: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: packet command error: error=0x50

This is kernel 2.4.20 (actually gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r1 with ptrace patch.)
I'm using glibc 2.3.2, cdrecord 2.0, xcdroast 0.98_alpha13. I'm not using
ide-scsi.

hda: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW DRIVE SW-208F, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdb: Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-114 0124, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS20.5, ATA DISK drive
hdd: ST330630A, ATA DISK drive

(full dmesg is attached.)

I know this drive works because I burned lots of CDs with it under Linux. The
only thing I've changed is glibc (from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2) but I find it hard to
believe it'd be the culprit; correct me if I'm wrong.

Someone suggested me to try a new ide cable, but it didn't make any
difference.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Norberto

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
signed data
(No filename) (189.00 B)
signature

by Hermann Himmelbauer

Subject: Re: Problem burning with ATAPI cd-rw

On Saturday 29 March 2003 23:07, Norberto BENSA wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm having a problem burning CDs. I ruined 3 cds (yeah, now I know '-dummy'
>
> :-/ and after checking dmesg, I see lots of these messages (or similar)
>
> ATAPI device hda:
> Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
> Invalid field in parameter list -- (asc=0x26, ascq=0x00)
> The failed "Mode Select 10" packet command was:
> "55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 3c 00 00 00 "
> hda: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: packet command error: error=0x50
> hda: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: packet command error: error=0x50

Well - I don't know much about this, but I have some thoughts:

When do these errors occur while burning? At the start or somewhere in the
middle?

I had LOTS of troubles writing CD's, but every time it was due to incompatible
Media. So - did you besides changing the glibc also change your CD-Media?

Moreover I somehow wonder - don't you use the ide-scsi module? Which program
are you using for writing your CDs?

My error messages looked different - first I got errors from the SCSI
sub-system, second it told some "sense key" and "Media error". The errors
were somehow more self explaining.

Best Regards,
Hermann

GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9 4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7

2003-03-29 23:48:10

by Norberto Bensa

On Saturday 29 March 2003 08:07 pm, Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
> When do these errors occur while burning? At the start or somewhere in the
> middle?

At start. It wants to burn but instead it inmediately fixates the CD.

> I had LOTS of troubles writing CD's, but every time it was due to
> incompatible Media. So - did you besides changing the glibc also change
> your CD-Media?

Yes, but I've tried old media too: same result.

> Moreover I somehow wonder - don't you use the ide-scsi module? Which
> program are you using for writing your CDs?

cdrecord 2.0 does atapi.

Regards,
Norberto

Attachments: