2003-03-30 10:36:03

by Jonathan Abbey

Subject: 2.4.21-pre6: mmx_memcpy not properly exposed to modules with Athlon

I've had a good deal of trouble this evening trying to compile
2.4.21-pre6 for the Athlon processor. It appears that when the
kernel's bzImage is built all is well, but building modules (for USB)
results in unresolved references to _mmx_memcpy in the modules.

From looking at the System.map file and nm vmlinux, it appears that
the _mmx_memcpy symbol is present and presumably thereby linkable.
I'm not certain why that symbol is not being resolved when I try to
depmod or insmod the USB modules.

I was able to work around the problem by building the bzImage for
Athlon, then doing a make config to switch the processor type to
PIII/Coppermine before building the modules, so that memcpy is not
#define'd to refer to _mmx_memcpy, but this is not a terribly
satisfying workaround.

Jonathan Abbey [email protected]
Applied Research Laboratories The University of Texas at Austin
Ganymede, a GPL'ed metadirectory for UNIX http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/gash2

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.06 kB)
(No filename) (185.00 B)

by Keith Owens

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 04:47:21 -0600,
Jonathan Abbey <[email protected]> wrote:
>I've had a good deal of trouble this evening trying to compile
>2.4.21-pre6 for the Athlon processor. It appears that when the
>kernel's bzImage is built all is well, but building modules (for USB)
>results in unresolved references to _mmx_memcpy in the modules.

To change cpu type -

save .config
make mrproper
restore .config
make menuconfig
make dep - in a separate step from make *config
make bzImage modules

Kernel build gets confused by changing cpu type, especially if you
make *config dep as one command.