2003-03-30 21:19:24

by Michael Frank

Subject: 2.4.21-pre6 modules can't access kernel symbols - build system problem?

Hi,

I encounter a problem which baffles me, having built same release before

1) Checked 21-pre6 out from local BK tree

2) Patched with latest acpi and win4lin

3) make oldconfig

4) Made some config changes

5) make dep, bzImage, modules - use gcc295

6) Compiled w/o any problem

7) installed and reboot, cant load _any_ (0) modules

depmod reports missing symbols in all modules

For example modprobe 8390 reports unresolved symbols including: enable_irq, kmalloc, printk,disable_irq

*** It seems kernel symbols cant be accessed by modules

8) I rebuild all after making clean, same result

Where do I go wrong?

I can send complete build logs upon request.

Regards
Michael

2003-03-31 01:41:57

by Keith Owens

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 05:29:18 +0800,
Michael Frank <[email protected]> wrote:
>I encounter a problem which baffles me, having built same release before
>1) Checked 21-pre6 out from local BK tree
>2) Patched with latest acpi and win4lin
>3) make oldconfig
>4) Made some config changes
>5) make dep, bzImage, modules - use gcc295
>depmod reports missing symbols in all modules

Broken kernel build. You must make mrproper after applying patches
that change dependencies when using CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y.