2003-03-31 19:23:58

by Michael Buesch

Subject: make menuconfig error

Hi.

I don't know, if this was posted some time ago, because I was unsubscribed
for a time.
I unpacked a vanilla 2.5.66, copied the .config of my already configured
2.5.64 to the new kernel, made a make menuconfig and immediately canceled
it, without saving.
I got this error-message:

# bla ...
gcc -o scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog scripts/lxdialog/checklist.o scripts/lxdialog/menubox.o scripts/lxdialog/textbox.o scripts/lxdialog/yesno.o scripts/lxdialog/inputbox.o scripts/lxdialog/util.o scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog.o scripts/lxdialog/msgbox.o -lncurses
./scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/i386/Kconfig
#
# using defaults found in .config
#
.config:763: trying to assign nonexistent symbol INTEL_RNG

Your kernel configuration changes were NOT saved.

Regards Michael Buesch.

2003-03-31 19:40:24

by Robert P. J. Day

Subject: Re: make menuconfig error

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Michael Buesch wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I don't know, if this was posted some time ago, because I was unsubscribed
> for a time.
> I unpacked a vanilla 2.5.66, copied the .config of my already configured
> 2.5.64 to the new kernel, made a make menuconfig and immediately canceled
> it, without saving.
> I got this error-message:
>
> # bla ...
> gcc -o scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog scripts/lxdialog/checklist.o scripts/lxdialog/menubox.o scripts/lxdialog/textbox.o scripts/lxdialog/yesno.o scripts/lxdialog/inputbox.o scripts/lxdialog/util.o scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog.o scripts/lxdialog/msgbox.o -lncurses
> ./scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/i386/Kconfig
> #
> # using defaults found in .config
> #
> .config:763: trying to assign nonexistent symbol INTEL_RNG

i'm pretty sure that, if you just unpacked the source for the
first time, you should first "make mrproper" just to play it
safe, and after that, you *must* do at least one full config
of some kind, to create a number of header files that are
necessary. the fact that you said you did a "make menuconfig",
but bailed before you actually saved anything makes me uneasy.

and the INTEL_RNG has something to do with random number
generation. but can you do a "make oldconfig" and see if
you get the same error?

rday

2003-03-31 19:47:54

by Michael Buesch

> i'm pretty sure that, if you just unpacked the source for the
> first time, you should first "make mrproper" just to play it
> safe, and after that, you *must* do at least one full config
> of some kind, to create a number of header files that are
> necessary. the fact that you said you did a "make menuconfig",
> but bailed before you actually saved anything makes me uneasy.

buaaah, I'm very tired at the moment. :)
sorry for the question, problem is already solved and no
bug.
I'd better go to bed now. :)

Regards Michael Buesch.

2003-03-31 20:29:30

by Sam Ravnborg

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 09:34:38PM +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
>$ make menuconfig
> #
> # using defaults found in .config
> #
Ok, it reads configuration from your old .config

> .config:763: trying to assign nonexistent symbol INTEL_RNG

Your old configuration assigned a value to INTEL_RNG, that symbol
seems to have disappered in the later kernels.
So actually no bug, just a report about an inconsistency in your
old configuration.

Sam