2003-05-03 00:30:36

by Miquel van Smoorenburg

Subject: Re: sendfile

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark Mielke <[email protected]> wrote:
>One question it raises in my mind, is whether there would be value in
>improving write()/send() such that they detect that the userspace
>pointer refers entirely to mmap()'d file pages, and therefore no copy
>of data from userspace -> kernelspace should be performed.

You mean like
http://hypermail.idiosynkrasia.net/linux-kernel/archived/2003/week00/0056.html

Mike.

2003-05-03 14:45:40

by Mark Mielke

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 12:42:59AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Mark Mielke <[email protected]> wrote:
> >One question it raises in my mind, is whether there would be value in
> >improving write()/send() such that they detect that the userspace
> >pointer refers entirely to mmap()'d file pages, and therefore no copy
> >of data from userspace -> kernelspace should be performed.
> You mean like
> http://hypermail.idiosynkrasia.net/linux-kernel/archived/2003/week00/0056.html

Yes, definately, and thank you for referring us to work that has already
been done.

mark

--
[email protected]/[email protected]/[email protected] __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/