2003-05-09 13:31:32

by Michael Knigge

Subject: 3ware Raid

Hi all,

this is not a "kernel-only" question but maybe someone who knows 3ware
raid controllers (and the driver) could help me.

Currently my 3ware 6xxx RAID controller tells me that my RAID-Array
(stripe-set with two maxtor 120 GB disks) is incomplete (even if I
delete the array and create a new one - after a reboot the array is
marked "incomplete").

The BIOS of the 3ware controller shows me both disks, but one is
always makred as "available" and the raid-array is missing one drive.

The strange part: the Linux kernel doesn't care about this and mounts
my array correctly! And the array works so far - it seems to me, don't
know if there will be any surprises the next days ;-)

Now... should I care about this? Is my array broken or not? And why
does the Linux driver think my array is ok and the 3ware BIOS not?

Thanks for any help,
Michael

2003-05-09 14:18:16

by Mike Dresser

Subject: Re: 3ware Raid

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Michael Knigge wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is not a "kernel-only" question but maybe someone who knows 3ware
> raid controllers (and the driver) could help me.
>
> Currently my 3ware 6xxx RAID controller tells me that my RAID-Array
> (stripe-set with two maxtor 120 GB disks) is incomplete (even if I
> delete the array and create a new one - after a reboot the array is
> marked "incomplete").
>
> The BIOS of the 3ware controller shows me both disks, but one is
> always makred as "available" and the raid-array is missing one drive.
>
> The strange part: the Linux kernel doesn't care about this and mounts
> my array correctly! And the array works so far - it seems to me, don't
> know if there will be any surprises the next days ;-)
>

> Now... should I care about this? Is my array broken or not? And why
> does the Linux driver think my array is ok and the 3ware BIOS not?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Michael

what does tw_cli say about your drive?

Can you post the output of ./tw_cli info cx where x is whatever number it
decided was your controller(which seems to be random :D)

Mike