2003-05-21 15:02:57

by Artemio

Subject: HELP: kernel won't boot from /dev/sdb1

Hello all!

I've just installed RH 7.3 on a machine with all-SCSI discs. I had to load
"linux dd" with Adaptec AIC 79xx driver floppy installed, but that's ok.
The / is mounted from /dev/sdb1.

So, I got a clean 2.4.20 kernel, added AIC 79xx driver sources to the kernel
source tree, configured and compiled and installed it (of course, I didn't
forget about the modules).

In lilo, I said "root=/dev/sdb1" just as for the original 2.4.18-3 RedHat
kernel which boots ok.

When I boot the new kernel, I get:
VFS: Cannot open root device at "811" or "08:11"

>From SCSI-howto I got that 08:11 stands for /dev/sda11. Why would /dev/sdb1 be
converted to 08:11 instead of 08:17 (again, corresponding to SCSI-howto)?

Would I be able to boot the kernel if I say "root=817"?

I will try tommorow when I get to that machine, but mabe you have some
suggestions...

Thank you very much for reading all this.

Good luck!

Artemio.

2003-05-22 02:45:49

by Douglas Gilbert

Subject: Re: HELP: kernel won't boot from /dev/sdb1

Artemio wrote:

> I've just installed RH 7.3 on a machine with all-SCSI
> discs. I had to load "linux dd" with Adaptec AIC 79xx
> driver floppy installed, but that's ok.
> The / is mounted from /dev/sdb1.
>
> So, I got a clean 2.4.20 kernel, added AIC 79xx driver
> sources to the kernel source tree, configured and
> compiled and installed it (of course, I didn't
> forget about the modules).
>
> In lilo, I said "root=/dev/sdb1" just as for the original
> 2.4.18-3 RedHatkernel which boots ok.
>
> When I boot the new kernel, I get:
> VFS: Cannot open root device at "811" or "08:11"
>
> From SCSI-howto I got that 08:11 stands for /dev/sda11.
> Why would /dev/sdb1 be converted to 08:11 instead of 08:17
> (again, corresponding to SCSI-howto)?

Those number are in hex, so "811" is major 8, minor 17 which
is (or should be) /dev/sdb1. Look earlier in the boot up
sequence, where the aic79xx driver is loaded and scans
for devices. It should say that it has attached /dev/sdb .
You may need a later version of that driver. Visit:
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux

Doug Gilbert

2003-05-22 06:39:12

by Artemio

On Thursday 22 May 2003 05:59, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> Those number are in hex, so "811" is major 8, minor 17 which
> is (or should be) /dev/sdb1. Look earlier in the boot up
> sequence, where the aic79xx driver is loaded and scans
> for devices. It should say that it has attached /dev/sdb .
> You may need a later version of that driver. Visit:
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux
>
> Doug Gilbert

Thank you very much!

I found the source tarball there - aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030520-tar.gz.

(Also, what is aic79xx-linux-2.4-20030520.bksend.gz - seems to be some
changelog?)

I will to build everything today (I have two AIC 7902 drives on that machine).

Many thanks again.

Artemio.

2003-05-22 10:48:46

by Artemio

On Thursday 22 May 2003 05:59, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> You may need a later version of that driver. Visit:
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux
I downloaded these drivers today, compiled the kernel, and this new kernel
loads perfectly - finds both SCSI disks!

Thank you very much for your support and good luck!

Artemio.