2003-05-24 20:30:03

by Brad Chapman

Subject: What does laptop-mode do?

Mr. Axboe,

What exactly does your laptop-mode patch for 2.4.21-rc2 do? I've
read through parts of it and it appears to add logic to the VM
which causes it to do things at a certain time, as specified by
userspace. Unfortunately I can't puzzle much else out of it, and
I can't run it yet.

You;ve also said that it adds a "non-significant" amount of battery
time. How much battery time do you mean (10%, 15%, 15min, etc...)

TIA

Brad Chapman

http://search.yahoo.com

2003-05-25 09:02:45

by Jens Axboe

Subject: Re: What does laptop-mode do?

On Sat, May 24 2003, Brad Chapman wrote:
> Mr. Axboe,
>
> What exactly does your laptop-mode patch for 2.4.21-rc2 do? I've
> read through parts of it and it appears to add logic to the VM
> which causes it to do things at a certain time, as specified by
> userspace. Unfortunately I can't puzzle much else out of it, and
> I can't run it yet.

Several people have asked, here's a first draft of a little text file
explaining how it works. I'm also attaching the script mentioned in that
file.

> You;ve also said that it adds a "non-significant" amount of battery
> time. How much battery time do you mean (10%, 15%, 15min, etc...)

See the doc, it greatly depends on your laptop/drive/workload. If you
are able to keep the disk down for many minutes at the time, it's not
unrealistic to get 10% extra.

--
Jens Axboe

Attachments:
(No filename) (821.00 B)
laptop-mode.txt (3.23 kB)
laptop-mode.sh (1.08 kB)

by David D. Hagood

Subject: Re: What does laptop-mode do? (/. spelling)

Jens Axboe wrote:
> This means you could potentially loose 10 minutes worth of data, if you

s/loose/lose

2003-05-25 14:25:54

by Jens Axboe

On Sun, May 25 2003, David D. Hagood wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:
> >This means you could potentially loose 10 minutes worth of data, if you
>
> s/loose/lose

I accept diffs :). No thanks, I always make that mistake.

--
Jens Axboe