2003-05-28 21:56:29

by Robert Love

Subject: [announce] procps 2.0.13 with NPTL enhancements

I am ecstatic beyond words to announce the release of procps version
2.0.13. This release contains a number of NPTL-related enhancements,
courtesy of Alexander Larsson of Red Hat. Some of the enhancements are
generic in nature, and thus also benefit non-NPTL applications.

I encourage everyone to give this a try, especially 2.5 users.

Tarball, RPM packages, and CVS information is available at:

http://tech9.net/rml/procps/
http://sources.redhat.com/procps/

Change Log:

- fix top(1) -p flag behavior (Lars Holmberg)
- do not qsort the process list if we are not sorting
(Alexander Larsson)
- read tgid from /proc/pid/status if it exists
(Alexander Larsson)
- PROC_SKIPTHREADS flag for ps_readproc() to force only
reading of (tgid != pid) to avoid lots of syscalls
(Alexander Larsson)
- Look at PM->flags in ps_readproc() to avoid reading
/proc files files that are not needed. (Alexander Larsson)
- Support FILLMEM, FILLCMD, FILLENV, FILLWCHAN for above.
(Alexander Larsson)
- Fix wchan decoding bug (Alexander Larsson)
- Fix for ticks going backward and cleanup (Denis Vlasenko)

And other misc. cleanups and changes.

Enjoy,

Robert "Why the Hell am I maintaining this" Love

2003-05-28 23:06:25

by Phil Oester

Subject: Re: [announce] procps 2.0.13 with NPTL enhancements

Any comment on the procps v3.1.8 located here:

http://procps.sourceforge.net/

Seems it is actively maintained...

-Phil

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 03:09:10PM +0000, Robert Love wrote:
> I am ecstatic beyond words to announce the release of procps version
> 2.0.13.
>
> Robert "Why the Hell am I maintaining this" Love

2003-05-28 23:10:09

by Robert Love

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 23:19, Phil Oester wrote:

> Any comment on the procps v3.1.8 located here:
>
> http://procps.sourceforge.net/
>
> Seems it is actively maintained...

It is a fork of the original procps tree.

The maintainer of that tree will tell you his is better. I do not want
to argue it.

Robert Love

2003-05-28 23:46:37

by Miquel van Smoorenburg

In article <1054138948.783.179.camel@localhost>,
Robert Love <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 23:19, Phil Oester wrote:
>
>> Any comment on the procps v3.1.8 located here:
>>
>> http://procps.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Seems it is actively maintained...
>
>It is a fork of the original procps tree.

Well, you could also argue that the current 2.0 tree is a
retroactive fork of an older version of procps.

I don't understand why you don't work together.

Mike.
--
.. somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"

2003-05-29 17:12:13

by Xose Vazquez Perez

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

>In article <1054138948.783.179.camel@localhost>, Robert Love <[email protected]> wrote:
>>On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 23:19, Phil Oester wrote:
>>
>>> Any comment on the procps v3.1.8 located here:
>>>
>>> http://procps.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> Seems it is actively maintained...
>>
>>It is a fork of the original procps tree.

>Well, you could also argue that the current 2.0 tree is a
>retroactive fork of an older version of procps.

>I don't understand why you don't work together.

--from the http://procps.sourceforge.net/faq.html --
Why are there so many procps projects?

The original maintainer seems to have had little time for procps.
Whatever his reasons, the project didn't get maintained. Starting
in 1997, Albert Cahalan wrote a new ps program for the package.
For the next few years, Albert quietly helped the Debian package
maintainer fix bugs. In 2001, Rik van Riel decided to do something
about what appeared to be the lack of a maintainer. He picked up
the buggy old code in Red Hat's CVS and started adding patches.
Meanwhile, other people have patched procps in a great many ways.
In 2002, Albert moved procps to this site. This was done to ensure
that years of testing and bug fixes would not be lost. The major
version number was changed to 3, partly to avoid confusing users
and partly because the top program has been redone.
--end--

I think too that is to waste the time&resources to have two,
and to do a little different some LiNUX distributions in a basic
and important package

but if both have freetime... ;-)

regards,
--
Software is like sex, it's better when it's bug free.

2003-05-29 17:55:20

by Adrian Bunk

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 07:25:03PM +0200, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

> --from the http://procps.sourceforge.net/faq.html --
> Why are there so many procps projects?
>
> The original maintainer seems to have had little time for procps.
> Whatever his reasons, the project didn't get maintained. Starting
> in 1997, Albert Cahalan wrote a new ps program for the package.
> For the next few years, Albert quietly helped the Debian package
> maintainer fix bugs. In 2001, Rik van Riel decided to do something
> about what appeared to be the lack of a maintainer. He picked up
> the buggy old code in Red Hat's CVS and started adding patches.
> Meanwhile, other people have patched procps in a great many ways.
> In 2002, Albert moved procps to this site. This was done to ensure
> that years of testing and bug fixes would not be lost. The major
> version number was changed to 3, partly to avoid confusing users
> and partly because the top program has been redone.
> --end--
>
> I think too that is to waste the time&resources to have two,
> and to do a little different some LiNUX distributions in a basic
> and important package
>
> but if both have freetime... ;-)

Well, since I read Albert Cahalan's comment in Debian bug #172735 [1]
I understand the people maintaining a different branch...

> regards,

cu
Adrian

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/172735

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2003-05-29 18:04:24

by Robert Love

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 18:08, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Well, since I read Albert Cahalan's comment in Debian bug #172735 [1]
> I understand the people maintaining a different branch...

Exactly.

That bug is fixed in the official tree, fyi. A segfault, as you said, is
always a bug. An error message is displayed.

Once that bug is fixed, he will probably find that the inability to read
files in /proc also causes a crash. Such is the problem with this
duplicated effort. It sucks. I told Albert I would be happy to merge
each and every (sane) change he sends me. He refuses. To be fair, I also
refuse to work under his tree. His comments on this list is part of the
reason. For what its worth, he did not fork off and create his tree
until Rik starting work on the official tree.

In the end, all that matters to me really is that Red Hat and other big
distributions use my tree (apparently whether I maintain it or not) and
I use those distributions. If I used Debian, maybe my view would be
different. Or maybe I would make them switch trees :)

Robert Love

2003-05-29 19:48:10

by Vincent Hanquez

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 08:08:31PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Well, since I read Albert Cahalan's comment in Debian bug #172735 [1]
> I understand the people maintaining a different branch...
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/172735

and http://bugs.debian.org/169398

same kind of comment :\

--
Tab

2003-05-29 22:28:37

by Robert Love

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 20:01, Vincent Hanquez wrote:

> and http://bugs.debian.org/169398
>
> same kind of comment :\

Hah, just what I said :)

Both the unreadable bug and the not mounted bug are fixed at
http://tech9.net/rml/procps

Robert Love

2003-05-30 05:24:15

by Albert Cahalan

Robert Love writes:
On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 18:08, Adrian Bunk wrote:

>> Well, since I read Albert Cahalan's comment in
>> Debian bug #172735 [1] I understand the people
>> maintaining a different branch...
>
> Exactly.
>
> That bug is fixed in the official tree, fyi.
> A segfault, as you said, is always a bug.
> An error message is displayed.

You asked for it...

Nice cheapshot there. So, if I remove some
critical kernel interfaces from your system,
nothing should crash? How about I take out
a few choice system calls or a chunk of libc?

(note: the "bug" is not exploitable)

Face it. For nearly a decade, /proc has been
a critical kernel interface. This isn't 1991.
(embedded systems excepted; they don't use procps)

That said, I may do something about the issue
simply to please users with messed-up systems.

> Once that bug is fixed, he will probably find
> that the inability to read files in /proc also
> causes a crash. Such is the problem with this
> duplicated effort. It sucks.

I could tell you about some inputs that
make your programs crash... Nah. Find them
yourself. I wait for your screams. >:-)

You finally fixed a SEGV that I fixed well
over a year ago. Congradulations. You have
others to fix, and a minor (?) security
issue as well. Have fun.

Oooh... I think you have an exploitable
buffer overflow as well. Anybody running
his procps as an i386 binary on IA-64?

> I told Albert I
> would be happy to merge each and every (sane)
> change he sends me. He refuses. To be fair,
> I also refuse to work under his tree. His comments
> on this list is part of the reason. For what its
> worth, he did not fork off and create his tree
> until Rik starting work on the official tree.

Nope. Rik's activity was one of two reasons
for me to increment the major number, and one
of many reasons to put the project on SourceForge.

Prior to that, I had provided 2.x.x versions
to Debian for years. Also note that I wrote
the ps program itself and a large portion of
the library you use. This all was long before
you and Rik touched procps.

Go ahead and check the 2.x.x in Debian. It's mine.

> In the end, all that matters to me really is that
> Red Hat and other big distributions use my tree
> (apparently whether I maintain it or not) and I
> use those distributions. If I used Debian, maybe
> my view would be different. Or maybe I would make
> them switch trees :)

You: Connectiva, Red Hat
Me: Debian, Slackware, SuSE, Mandrake, Rock, LFS, Gentoo...

No wonder. Your "NPTL enhancements" depend on
kernel patches that Red Hat uses. For regular
non-NPTL threads, you get this nice fat bug:
(and an "I told you so" -- you KNEW about it)