2003-05-30 20:14:40

by Christian Kujau

Subject: weird keyboard with 2.5.70

hi,

i am running 2.5 kernels, 2.5.70 right now and i always have this
keyboard problem: when booting, usb kbd and a ps/2 kbd gets installed.
but when i first try to use them, one keypress gives me 5+ chars.
so would have to login with "rrrrrooooooootttttt" as user name.

when i unplug/replug say the usb kbd, the usb kbd is working right,
while the ps/2 kbd is still behaving this weird. i have to unplug/replug
the ps/2 kbd too.

i *think* i read this thing in a FAQ already but i couldn't remember.

kernelnewbies.org or the lk-ml FAQ gave nothin, a chat on #kernelnewbies
made me believe something very strange is going on.

for clarification i want to repeat the problem in another way:

- one ps/2 keyboard *and* one usb keyboard is plugged into the PC (yes,
i have _2_ kbds)
- ps/2 and usb kbd support is compile statically into the kernel:

CONFIG_SERIO
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD
CONFIG_USB_KBD

- the computer boots up, the kbd driver get loaded, i sit in front of
some login prompt (X or console)

- the usb kbd is only writing ttthhhiiiissss way.
- i try the ps/2 kbd, it is also writing only ttthhhhiiiisss way.
(i was able to write "root" in a sane way, but the password.....)
- i unplug the usb kbd and replug it --> i can use the usb kbd.
- the ps/2 is still behaving this weird, so i have to unplug/replug the
ps/2 kbd to use it, too.

i noticed the problem once with 2.5.65(?) on linux/alpha, with a single
ps/2 kbd connected. but the problem disappeared somehow.

Thank you for any hints,
Christian.

2003-05-31 15:05:30

by Konstantin Kletschke

Subject: Re: weird keyboard with 2.5.70

Same here, well.

I use 2.5.70-mm3 and my PS2 Keyboard once swichted TO BIG CHARS. I
unplugged/plugged and it went complete mad, sound began too loop. I
unplugged and replugged, after a while it worked again...

Sometime a key is very fast repeated 10 to 20 times after pressed only
one.

On the other side, everything seems to be smooth and running fine :)

Konsti

--
2.5.70-mm3
Konstantin Kletschke <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>

2003-06-02 15:58:59

by Andy Pfiffer

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 08:16, Konstantin Kletschke wrote:

> Sometime a key is very fast repeated 10 to 20 times after pressed only
> one.

I have seen this on one of two systems connected to a 4-port KVM
switch. I started seeing it in 2.5.68 or 2.5.69. The other system has
not demonstrated the super-fast repeat.

Andy

2003-06-02 16:09:20

by Wiktor Wodecki

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:11:49AM -0700, Andy Pfiffer wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 08:16, Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
>
> > Sometime a key is very fast repeated 10 to 20 times after pressed only
> > one.
>
> I have seen this on one of two systems connected to a 4-port KVM
> switch. I started seeing it in 2.5.68 or 2.5.69. The other system has
> not demonstrated the super-fast repeat.

I see this on my ibm thinkpad T20 with 2.5.69. I manually raised my
kbdrate(1) settings and that helps. However when switching between X
and text-consoles it gets worse after a while.

Wiktor Wodecki

Attachments:
(No filename) (609.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)
Download all attachments
Subject: Weird keyboard with 2.4.20 (NEW!)

Hi!

I saw a problem with the keyboard and I want to tell my story.
Motherboards are EPOX with an Nvidia TNT2 card.
2 computers - not the same hard configuration.
>From time to time the keyboard goes crazy: I press A it gives me z, I
press ENTER it gives me n and so on.
After a while or with a reset, the problem is gone.
What can this be?
Thanks!

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Wiktor Wodecki wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:11:49AM -0700, Andy Pfiffer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 08:16, Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
> >
> > > Sometime a key is very fast repeated 10 to 20 times after pressed only
> > > one.
> >
> > I have seen this on one of two systems connected to a 4-port KVM
> > switch. I started seeing it in 2.5.68 or 2.5.69. The other system has
> > not demonstrated the super-fast repeat.
>
> I see this on my ibm thinkpad T20 with 2.5.69. I manually raised my
> kbdrate(1) settings and that helps. However when switching between X
> and text-consoles it gets worse after a while.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Wiktor Wodecki

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE

by Frederick, Fabian

Subject: RE: Weird keyboard with 2.4.20 (NEW!)

Hi !
In the same thread : slight trouble with 2.5.70 / 2.4.19
Using 2.5.70 -> no problem
I've got to reboot twice to switch back to 2.4.19 or I loose my keyboard...

Regards,
Fabian

I saw a problem with the keyboard and I want to tell my story.
Motherboards are EPOX with an Nvidia TNT2 card.
2 computers - not the same hard configuration.
>From time to time the keyboard goes crazy: I press A it gives me z, I
press ENTER it gives me n and so on.
After a while or with a reset, the problem is gone.
What can this be?
Thanks!

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Wiktor Wodecki wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:11:49AM -0700, Andy Pfiffer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 08:16, Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
> >
> > > Sometime a key is very fast repeated 10 to 20 times after pressed only
> > > one.
> >
> > I have seen this on one of two systems connected to a 4-port KVM
> > switch. I started seeing it in 2.5.68 or 2.5.69. The other system has
> > not demonstrated the super-fast repeat.
>
> I see this on my ibm thinkpad T20 with 2.5.69. I manually raised my
> kbdrate(1) settings and that helps. However when switching between X
> and text-consoles it gets worse after a while.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Wiktor Wodecki

---