2003-06-05 15:51:12

by Robert L. Harris

Subject: IDE CDRW and ide-scsi fun?

I have a DVD-CDRW:

'SONY ' 'DVD RW DRU-510A ' '1.0a' Removable CD-ROM

If I compile ide-cd and ide-scsi into the kernel I can see the drives
but cdrecord doesn't recognize them, even if I specify the device (2,0,0).
If I compile either one in and modularize the other I get the same
thing. If I modularize both and then load them:

modprobe ide-scsi
modprobe ide-cd

They load just fine.

I've currently got my burn script which sets my common options to load
and unload the modules but this strikes me as a rather hackish way
around the problem.

Kernel is 2.4.20 through 2.4.21-rc7-ac1.

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.99 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by J.A. Magallon

Subject: Re: IDE CDRW and ide-scsi fun?

On 06.05, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I have a DVD-CDRW:
>
> 'SONY ' 'DVD RW DRU-510A ' '1.0a' Removable CD-ROM
>
> If I compile ide-cd and ide-scsi into the kernel I can see the drives
> but cdrecord doesn't recognize them, even if I specify the device (2,0,0).
> If I compile either one in and modularize the other I get the same
> thing. If I modularize both and then load them:
>
> modprobe ide-scsi
> modprobe ide-cd

Obvious question, have you tried to boot with 'hdc=ide-scsi' ?
(for both builtin, ide has preference...)

--
J.A. Magallon <[email protected]> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es \ It's better when it's free

2003-06-05 16:17:09

by Robert L. Harris

No I didn't. Didn't know it needed that as the device appeared in
/proc/scsi/scsi just fine, cdrecord just couldn't find it.

Thus spake J.A. Magallon ([email protected]):

> On 06.05, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >

> > I have a DVD-CDRW:
> >
> > 'SONY ' 'DVD RW DRU-510A ' '1.0a' Removable CD-ROM
> >
> > If I compile ide-cd and ide-scsi into the kernel I can see the drives
> > but cdrecord doesn't recognize them, even if I specify the device (2,0,0).
> > If I compile either one in and modularize the other I get the same
> > thing. If I modularize both and then load them:
> >
> > modprobe ide-scsi
> > modprobe ide-cd
> >

> Obvious question, have you tried to boot with 'hdc=ide-scsi' ?
> (for both builtin, ide has preference...)
>
> --
> J.A. Magallon <[email protected]> \ Software is like sex:
> werewolf.able.es \ It's better when it's free
> Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (Cooker) for i586
> Linux 2.4.21-rc7-jam1 (gcc 3.3 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3-1mdk))

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

Attachments: