2003-06-11 09:05:56

by Rene Engelhard

Subject: RealTek NIC on alpha?

Hi,

as my "normal" PC just died and I strongly need it as a router I thought
about adding this functionality to my alpha (digital AlphaStation 500
333 Mhz).

So I got a RealTek NIC from my i386 machine and put in into my alpha
hoping that would work (it would told me this should).

After installing the NIC the boot outputs

"
SLIP: version 0.8.4-NET3.019-NEWTTY (dynamic channels, max=256).
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California.
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9, 2002)
eth0: Digital DC21040 Tulip rev 36 at 0x9800, 00:00:F8:23:30:83, IRQ 29.
8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.2
"

and does not do anything after that.

This was from 2.4.21-rc7, I tried 2.2.25 before and there was a similar
problem:

"
SLIP: version 0.8.4-NET3.019-NEWTTY (dynamic channels, max=256).
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California.
tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 [email protected]
eth0: Digital DC21040 Tulip rev 36 at 0x9000, 00:00:F8:23:30:83, IRQ 29.
eth1: region already allocated at 0x9000.
"

.. and halts too doing nothing...

Any advice? Do I need some boot parameters?

Regards,

Ren

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.32 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Marc Zyngier

Subject: Re: RealTek NIC on alpha?

Rene> 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.2
Rene> and does not do anything after that.

Make sure CONFIG_8139TOO_PIO is set. I had similar problem on one of
my Multias...

Regards,

M.
--
Places change, faces change. Life is so very strange.

2003-06-11 12:03:01

by MånsRullgård

Marc Zyngier <[email protected]> writes:

> Rene> 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.2
> Rene> and does not do anything after that.
>
> Make sure CONFIG_8139TOO_PIO is set. I had similar problem on one of
> my Multias...

A friend of mine had to set the MAC address manually with one of those
cards. After that it was fine.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Rene Engelhard

Hi Marc,

Marc Zyngier wrote:

> Rene> 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.2
> Rene> and does not do anything after that.
>
> Make sure CONFIG_8139TOO_PIO is set. I had similar problem on one of
> my Multias...

Thanks. That was it..

Regards,

Ren?
--
.''`. Ren? Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
`. `' [email protected] | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73

Attachments:
(No filename) (559.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Marc Giger

Subject: Compatible Hardware (Was: Re: RealTek NIC on alpha?)

Hi All,

Since a long time I asking me, which PC-Hardware is compatible with Alpha's? All? Is it just a question if the driver exists for this architecture?
I know that the Alpha's has the same buses and are also little Endian like Intel (right?).

So as example I could take an ATI Radeon or an Adaptec 29160 SCSI Controller, put it into an Alpha and it works?

Thank you!

Marc

2003-06-11 14:31:50

by Jeff Garzik

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 04:42:00PM +0200, Marc Giger wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Since a long time I asking me, which PC-Hardware is compatible with Alpha's? All? Is it just a question if the driver exists for this architecture?
> I know that the Alpha's has the same buses and are also little Endian like Intel (right?).
>
> So as example I could take an ATI Radeon or an Adaptec 29160 SCSI Controller, put it into an Alpha and it works?

Most PCI and AGP cards work.

Video controllers, PCI or AGP, are special. They may or may not work,
depending on what's in their video BIOS.

Jeff

2003-06-11 22:05:55

by Michal Jaegermann

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 04:42:00PM +0200, Marc Giger wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Since a long time I asking me, which PC-Hardware is compatible
> with Alpha's? All? Is it just a question if the driver exists for
> this architecture?

Mostly.

> So as example I could take an ATI Radeon or an Adaptec 29160 SCSI
> Controller, put it into an Alpha and it works?

If you want to boot from a disk attached to this controller then
this is a question if your firmware will recognize it as you will
have to load some things from it. If this is not your boot device
then the answer should be yes.

Graphics card is slightly different problem as they have to be
usually initialized by an x86 BIOS emulator embedded in your
firmware and this may, or may not, work depending on your video
card. I heard about cards which worked once X started but would
give nothing on a console. I do not remember now specifics of
configuration. In practice newer video cards were becoming on
Alpha more and more of an issue.

ATI Radeon 7500 AGP works fine in UP1500 (Nautilus with an AGP
slot) provided you have a correct X server support for it. I know
because I have one on my desk. :-)

Michal