2003-06-11 20:58:55

by Pavel Machek

Subject: oprofile broken by sysfs updates

Hi!

I only tried reading the diffs, but:

arch/i386/oprofile/nmi_int.c must be suspended before
arch/i386/kernel/apic.c is.

How is that guaranteed with new code?

-static struct device device_nmi = {
- .name = "oprofile",
- .bus_id = "oprofile",
- .driver = &nmi_driver,
- .parent = &device_lapic.dev,
+static struct sys_device device_oprofile = {
+ .id = 0,
+ .cls = &oprofile_sysclass,
};

Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

2003-06-11 21:08:41

by Patrick Mochel

Subject: Re: oprofile broken by sysfs updates

> I only tried reading the diffs, but:

Then maybe you should

a) Read the entire initial thread (which you participated in), esp this
message:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105518049424749&w=2

b) Read the comments in the code (from drivers/base/sys.c):

/**
* sysdev_shutdown - Shut down all system devices.
*
* Loop over each class of system devices, and the devices in each
* of those classes. For each device, we call the shutdown method for
* each driver registered for the device - the globals, the auxillaries,
* and the class driver.
*
* Note: The list is iterated in reverse order, so that we shut down
* child devices before we shut down thier parents. The list ordering
* is guaranteed by virtue of the fact that child devices are registered
* after their parents.
*/

c) Try using the code and stop being a troll.

Thanks,

-pat

2003-06-11 21:13:54

by John Levon

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:12:20PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

> arch/i386/oprofile/nmi_int.c must be suspended before
> arch/i386/kernel/apic.c is.
>
> How is that guaranteed with new code?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105517556119093&w=2

regards