2003-06-17 02:39:23

by Chuck Berg

Subject: panic in ide_dma_intr on KT400

I have a machine with a Soyo Dragon motherboard (Via KT400 chipset).

With kernels 2.5.69, 2.5.70, and 2.5.71, it panics in ide_dma_intr() while
detecting the IDE drives. If I boot with pci=noacpi or acpi=off, two of my
drives come up without DMA, rendering the system unusably slow.

With kernels 2.4.20 and 2.4.21, it panics in ide_dma_intr() during heavy
activity on the IDE drives at the same time as heavy activity on the PCI bus.
(therefore, transfering files over NFS crashes the system almost immediately).

2.4 stuff here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105167850927613&w=2

2.5 stuff: (2.5.71 doesn't behave any differently)

Bootup messages from 2.5.69 with pci=noacpi:
http://encinc.com/~chuck/kt400/2.5.69-pci=noacpi.txt

Bootup messages from 2.5.69 with acpi=off:
http://encinc.com/~chuck/kt400/2.5.69-acpi=off.txt

lspci -vvv, /proc/{cpuinfo,interrupts,iomem,ioports}:
http://encinc.com/~chuck/kt400/2.5.69-pci=noacpi-info.txt

.config:
http://encinc.com/~chuck/kt402/config-2.5.69.txt

Subject: Re: panic in ide_dma_intr on KT400

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Chuck Berg wrote:

> I have a machine with a Soyo Dragon motherboard (Via KT400 chipset).
>
> With kernels 2.5.69, 2.5.70, and 2.5.71, it panics in ide_dma_intr() while
> detecting the IDE drives. If I boot with pci=noacpi or acpi=off, two of my
> drives come up without DMA, rendering the system unusably slow.

You forgot to compile in VIA IDE support,
there is no CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y in your 2.5 config.

--
Bartlomiej

2003-06-19 03:27:59

by Chuck Berg

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:34:48AM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Chuck Berg wrote:
> > I have a machine with a Soyo Dragon motherboard (Via KT400 chipset).
> >
> > With kernels 2.5.69, 2.5.70, and 2.5.71, it panics in ide_dma_intr() while
> > detecting the IDE drives. If I boot with pci=noacpi or acpi=off, two of my
> > drives come up without DMA, rendering the system unusably slow.
>
> You forgot to compile in VIA IDE support,
> there is no CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y in your 2.5 config.

Thanks...

With that enabled, DMA works. Now (with 2.5.72 and pci=noacpi) the system
crashes with no messages when I read from all my drives at the same time as
heavy network activity. Without pci=noacpi I get the same panic in
ide_dma_intr() while detecting the drives.

Bootup messages and .config:
http://encinc.com/~chuck/kt400/2.5.72-boot.txt
http://encinc.com/~chuck/kt400/config-2.5.72.txt