2003-07-04 11:21:11

by Frank Cusack

Subject: help backporting workqueue to 2.4; for net/sunrpc/cache.c

Hi all,

Should I expect any problems backporting the 2.5 workqueue.c to 2.4?
It looks pretty straightforward, but I am {naive,novice}. The only
interesting looking bit is setting current->flags |= PF_IOTHREAD,
which doesn't exist in 2.4. At a glance, it looks like I can ignore
this; it's used in suspend.c which doesn't exist in 2.4 either.

The reason I'd like to backport this is because of changes in sunrpc
which now use the workqueue to clean auth caches. Related question:
how is this (periodic cache clean) done in 2.5.73 and earlier?
net/sunrpc/cache.c didn't use the workqueue until 2.5.74.

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks
/fc

2003-07-04 11:53:33

by NeilBrown

On Friday July 4, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Should I expect any problems backporting the 2.5 workqueue.c to 2.4?
> It looks pretty straightforward, but I am {naive,novice}. The only
> interesting looking bit is setting current->flags |= PF_IOTHREAD,
> which doesn't exist in 2.4. At a glance, it looks like I can ignore
> this; it's used in suspend.c which doesn't exist in 2.4 either.
>
> The reason I'd like to backport this is because of changes in sunrpc
> which now use the workqueue to clean auth caches. Related question:
> how is this (periodic cache clean) done in 2.5.73 and earlier?
> net/sunrpc/cache.c didn't use the workqueue until 2.5.74.

The nfsd threads called cache_clean() from nfsd() in nfsd/nfssvc.c,
whenever they didn't have anything else to do, but this wasn't really
often enough. You could probably get them to do it after every
request as cache_clean() does virtually nothing unless there is
evidence that something needs doing.

NeilBrown

> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> thanks
> /fc
> -

by Marc-Christian Petersen

On Friday 04 July 2003 13:35, Frank Cusack wrote:

Hi Frank,

> Should I expect any problems backporting the 2.5 workqueue.c to 2.4?
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103885818416173&w=2

ciao, Marc