2003-07-08 11:20:40

by Matthew Hall

Subject: Linksys gpl code [OT]

Hi lkml,
I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Linksys have opened up and
released their code.

http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp

Don't know if it satisfies the gpl; i'm currently downloading the stuff
to see what's different from the release sources.

Matt
- -- --- ---- ------------------------------------ ---- --- -- -
Matthew Hall
http://people.ecsc.co.uk/~matt/
- -- --- ---- ------------------------------------ ---- --- -- -

2003-07-08 13:56:04

by Alan

Subject: Re: Linksys gpl code [OT]

On Maw, 2003-07-08 at 12:30, Matthew Hall wrote:
> Hi lkml,
> I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Linksys have opened up and
> released their code.

BTW - Qlogic have also tidied up their fibre channel stuff that was
using Linux. Customers can now order the sources at nominal cost, and
the documentation now includes a clear offer.

They are also at great pains to state that if you modify your fc switch
they are absolutely not supporting it any more 8)

2003-07-08 14:30:36

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Tue, 2003-07-08 12:30:58 +0100, Matthew Hall <[email protected]>
wrote in message <1057663858.3959.41.camel@miyazaki>:
> Hi lkml,
> I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Linksys have opened up and
> released their code.
>
> http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp
>
> Don't know if it satisfies the gpl; i'm currently downloading the stuff
> to see what's different from the release sources.

I downloaded that kernel.tgz and diff'ed it out - it's a *hugh* patch
removing tons of comments and #if 0 ... #endif parts. That makes it
more complicated to find the "interesting" parts for us, but also it
will get hard for them to ever port that changes over to 2.4.current...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg

Attachments:
(No filename) (984.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Christoph Hellwig

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 04:45:10PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-08 12:30:58 +0100, Matthew Hall <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <1057663858.3959.41.camel@miyazaki>:
> > Hi lkml,
> > I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Linksys have opened up and
> > released their code.
> >
> > http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp
> >
> > Don't know if it satisfies the gpl; i'm currently downloading the stuff
> > to see what's different from the release sources.
>
> I downloaded that kernel.tgz and diff'ed it out - it's a *hugh* patch
> removing tons of comments and #if 0 ... #endif parts. That makes it
> more complicated to find the "interesting" parts for us, but also it
> will get hard for them to ever port that changes over to 2.4.current...

Can you upload it somewhere or is it too big for that?

2003-07-08 15:07:18

by Matthew Hall

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 16:05, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Can you upload it somewhere or is it too big for that?

It's like 15M; and the diffstat over 300k. If I can fudge all the sgi
mips patches out of there I might be able to figure out what stuff
linksys have added and get a reasonable sized patch out.
Matt
--
- -- --- ---- ------------------------------------ ---- --- -- -
Matthew Hall

2003-07-08 15:08:28

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Tue, 2003-07-08 16:05:19 +0100, Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 04:45:10PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-07-08 12:30:58 +0100, Matthew Hall <[email protected]>
> > wrote in message <1057663858.3959.41.camel@miyazaki>:
> > >
> > > http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp
> >
> > I downloaded that kernel.tgz and diff'ed it out - it's a *hugh* patch
> > removing tons of comments and #if 0 ... #endif parts. That makes it
> > more complicated to find the "interesting" parts for us, but also it
> > will get hard for them to ever port that changes over to 2.4.current...
>
> Can you upload it somewhere or is it too big for that?

http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/linksys-kernel-2.4.5.patch.gz

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B?rger" | im Internet! | im Irak!
ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.08 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Tace

Hi,
does anyone know what kind of assembly code the linksys gpl code compiles to? i.e. ARM?

>On Tue, 2003-07-08 12:30:58 +0100, Matthew Hall <[email protected]>
>wrote in message <1057663858.3959.41.camel@miyazaki>:
>> Hi lkml,
>> I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Linksys have opened up and
>> released their code.
>>
>> http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp
>>
>> Don't know if it satisfies the gpl; i'm currently downloading the stuff
>> to see what's different from the release sources.
>
>I downloaded that kernel.tgz and diff'ed it out - it's a *hugh* patch
>removing tons of comments and #if 0 ... #endif parts. That makes it
>more complicated to find the "interesting" parts for us, but also it
>will get hard for them to ever port that changes over to 2.4.current...
>
>MfG, JBG
>
>--
> Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
> "Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
> fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B?rger" | im Internet! | im Irak!
> ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Tue, 2003-07-08 22:40:53 +0700, Tace <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:
> Hi,
> does anyone know what kind of assembly code the linksys gpl code compiles to? i.e. ARM?

It's mips - see the patch for ./linux/Makefile .

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B?rger" | im Internet! | im Irak!
ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));

Attachments:
(No filename) (566.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Oliver Xymoron

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 03:05:01PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Maw, 2003-07-08 at 12:30, Matthew Hall wrote:
> > Hi lkml,
> > I don't know if anyone's noticed, but Linksys have opened up and
> > released their code.
>
> BTW - Qlogic have also tidied up their fibre channel stuff that was
> using Linux. Customers can now order the sources at nominal cost, and
> the documentation now includes a clear offer.
>
> They are also at great pains to state that if you modify your fc switch
> they are absolutely not supporting it any more 8)

For people interested in poking around on their Qlogic switch, it took
John the Ripper all of about 15 seconds to elucidate the root password on
their XFS(!?) firmware image.

Qlogic press releases indicate you'll find that Cisco embeds Qlogic's
FC switching (and therefore Linux) inside some of their products like
the SN5428, though they probably have yet to follow up on the
documentation side.

http://www.qlogic.com/news-events/details/releases_details.asp?id=1106